Thursday, May 05, 2005

See I was thinking

The following is a random line of thought I had the other night driving home. And yes I do think about things like this and yes they are random but try to keep up and post your comments with vigor.

Be aware that I am basing this line of thought on some basic truths that I hold as absolute. So here we go.

A President and a King

Many of you know of President Bill Clinton and I would assume that many of you have your one individual opinions of him. There is one specific issue that seems to garner much opinion of our 42nd president. This issue is adultery, while in office no less. Many (and this is a broad generalization) conservative Christian republicans eviscerated President Clinton for his extra-marital affair with one Miss Lewinsky (her name is in spell check people, talk about becoming a part of history). He was judged and tried in the media, the American public, and most likely in many pulpits around the country. President Clinton was even impeached for lying while under oath regarding his affair. President Clinton is a professed Christian and did confess to this act of adultery. While I do disagree with President’s Clinton’s actions and often on many of his policies and political standings I do believe that all leaders are placed in their positions by the will of God (this is my belief and you are free to disagree with it but you must understand it to follow my line of thinking). I also believe that adultery is wrong and is therefore a sin.

Many of you also know of a man named David, King David to be exact from the Bible. David was chosen by God to be king of Israel replacing the now wicked King Saul. David was called a man after God’s own heart. When David was king he took part in an adulterous relationship. He even abused his power as king to have the husband of the woman he was having an affair with killed in battle. When approached by Nathan, a priest of God who counseled David, David denied or actually did not acknowledge his wrongdoing. It is only after being called out by Nathan that David admitted his sin and confessed the act of adultery. The same beliefs that I put under President Clinton hold true here, I believe that God chose David and placed him in a position of leadership and I believe that adultery is wrong and a sin. On top of that I also believe that both men’s adultery was not a surprise to God, that God knew each man he choose to lead would succumb to this desire and sin.

So here is the final thought. Two men, one a president the other a king. Both professing to trust in the Lord. Both chosen by God to be in a position of leadership. Both choosing to commit the sin of adultery. One we know the end of his story and the other is still living his story. History has closed for King David. We’ve seen his redemption, his life, and how he changed after his sin. History is still being written for President Clinton. We don’t know how his life will end, if redemption has or will find him, or how he has and will inevitably change as a result of this sin. I guess it just struck me that the same group of people that vilify President Clinton are the same that study David, marvel at the Psalms he wrote, and count him in the bloodline of Christ.

I guess all this is to say that I’m realizing that history books aren’t finished until the story is complete and while we (and I do include myself in that we) are so quick to judge the actions of other (especially those in visible jobs or positions of leadership) we don’t know how the story ends.

So comments, questions, rebuttals. Come on people open your brains and ponder this.

8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

First of all, I am on to you "Blog Patrol."

Secondly, I agree with everything you said... and I think the reason we study David and not Clinton is that know that David's Heart was truly repentant... And you are right... Man looks at the outward actions of a Man but the Lord looks at the heart... ultimately only the Lord knows where President Clinton is at...

My only question is: Do I still have to like him?

(Please say no.)

5/05/2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

...we study David and not Clinton is that we know (because the Lord gives us some insight through his word) that David's Heart was...

(correction there.)

5/05/2005 3:38 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

insightful. thank you for sharing your thoughts - i don't think that this (pres clinton's adultery/impeachment) is something that i've ever given this much thought to before, but you bring a good point to the table.

it makes me wonder how ALL people in David's time perceived him after his adultery. i'm going to have to re-read this in the bible. but you're right, ben, david was repentant. very. and the years both immediately following and long thereafter were in pursuit of God.

Clinton, thus far, has not exemplified any type of outward repentance from his behavior in office. i understand that repentance occurs between us and the Lord, but generally there will be fruit from that inner action. i don't see any in Clinton's life.

5/05/2005 3:44 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Great discussion, keep it coming.

Ben - but we do study President Clinton and we will as long as we study American History.

Also just something to think about - how do we know that President Clinton is not repentent? What actions would consitute repentance and would they be visible to the entire nation or to those who personally know him?

Jes you put forth a great question about how the Israelites viewed David, did they question him? did they disapprove? were they even aware and if so what repentant actions did they see?

Hmmm keep thinking this one is a doozie

5/05/2005 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article Katie.

I differ somewhat in that I beleive God gives us freedom of choice. How we lead our lives is not chosen by him. Both David and President Clinton at some point were given choices to commit the sins they did. Lastkevin makes an excellent point. What will Clinton do?

5/06/2005 10:46 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

LastKevin - great question and how funny (or interesting) is it that the Bible is silent on the people's reactions to David

Genuine - I think I phrased my thought wrong - I believe that President Clinton and King David both had the opportunity to choose not to commit adultry and both acted out of thier own will but I do believe that God knew the choice they would make (omnipotent) and therefore wasn't surprised or without foreknowledge

Thanks everyone for the great thoughts, questions, etc. I am excited for the discussion going on
here

5/06/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

This is the first time I have been to your site. Interesting post today, good point. I wonder if Clinton was ever sorry for what he did, I actually felt he was only sorry he got caught, since he first denied it all....

5/07/2005 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do we exalt David so much? He was a huge screwup. I personally think the only thing he did that is worthy of studying is his constant repentance. Beyond that, the track record is spotty. When threatened by enemy forces, he acts crazy instead of standing in faith. He has a man killed so he can take his wife. He isn't allowed to build the Temple because God says he is too violent. And the Goliath story: why 5 stones and not one? I've heard it was for Goliath and 4 brothers, but maybe it was because he thought 1 wouldn't do it? Lastkevin nailed it--he repented upon being exposed and didn't play word games. That's why Christians study David and not Bill.

5/07/2005 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home