Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I'll take "About Kpinion" for $300 Alex

1. I was a tomboy when I was little. Major tomboy. My Barbies went to war alongside my G.I. Joes. And yes that does mean I had G.I. Joe action figures, a real American hero.

2. I wore leg braces when I was little. (Think Forrest Gump, but on a 18 month old). My parents used this to cut in lines at movie theaters. They would put me down and let me waddle around and people would throw down the red carpet and let us go ahead.

3. I walked at 8 months. Not the drunk walk most babies do. I stood up and walked one day and never stopped. This might be evidence of my strong will and hard headedness.

4. I was bald for a good portion of my baby years and then I had white/blonde cornsilk hair.

5. I’ve never seen E.T. in its entirety, and I didn’t like what I did see of it.

6. My first poster was of Menudo. (southeast Texas people, Menudo was the bomb)

7. My first tape was Starship (We Built This City).

8. I danced in an elementary talent show. By dancing I mean that I moved to the music and did the same four steps over and over and over again. I also made up most the dance on the spot.

9. I was in the recorder ensemble in elementary school and never knew my music but I was a good faker.

10. I was on the front page of the paper when I was a little kid. I was getting my face painted at a carnival of some sorts and pouting (which was what I did best as a child).

11. I had a deathly fear of roller coasters until I was in high school. Now I LOVE them.

12. I dyed my hair red one weekend, then tried to dye it back to blonde and it turned orange, then stripped it of all color and tried again to dye it back to blonde and it was pineapple yellow, then went to the professionals and it was copper, and then went again and it was finally blonde again. I will never ever dye my hair again. My scalp was raw for a month afterward.

13. I HATE snakes, spiders, and now rats.I can kill any cockroach that comes my way. I can even grab them and throw them out windows or doors but put a snake or spider in my face and I will scream and run away.

14. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was little, then I saw the Challenger blow up and I changed my mind to a lawyer.

15. I went the farthest to college of anyone in my graduating class (at least I think I did).

16. I went to college in Washington D.C.

17. I lived on Embassy Row in Washington D.C.

18. I went to President Clinton’s second inauguration. Being a girl from Texas with a Republican representative, who happened to be the majority leader, I got great seats (seats being the key word here as most people have to stand behind barricades). I actually got better seats/tickets than any of my friends (one of whom volunteered for VP Gore at his parties. )I was very prideful about that.

19. I sat a few rows behind Michael Bolton (post hair cut I think) and I saw JFK Jr. and his wife.

20. I went to the Texas, Louisiana, Missouri Inaugural Ball also.

21. I’ve seen a drag race – and by drag I mean men dressed up in drag racing down a street. This was at Dupont Circle in Washington D.C.

22. And then I moved back to my hometown and went to college there (sigh).

23. The following make me barf:
Soggy bread
Corn nuts
Those Easter candies that are hard sugary shaped eggs with fake hard marshmallow inside
Cream savers
Dark blue extra gum
Pork Rinds

24. I insulted my roommate one time by not eating the dumplings in the chicken and dumplings she had made. At the end I had a bowl full of soggy biscuits. SICK.

25. I am famous for saying things that sound perfectly normal in my head but come out all wrong once the words hit the air.

26. I use to turn around and drive back home if I had forgotten my watch. Now it's my cell phone.

27. I have an organized mind but an unorganized desk/office. The two are mutually exclusive in my world.

28. I like to pile things. A pile of clean clothes here waiting to be folded. A pile of dirty clothes there waiting to be washed. A pile of unopened mail, a pile of dishes, a pile of paperwork, piles, piles, piles.

29. I drove a minivan in high school and then a Chevrolet caprice. I was so COOL in high school.

30. I know how to use a whip. This is because I was my high school mascot and it was modeled after Indiana Jones (think khaki pants and shirt, leather bomber jacket, brown fedora, and whip). Suffice it to say they changed it to a Yosemite Sam character soon afterwards.

31. I now own that whip because my friend stole it from a storage closet at my old high school.

32. I get excited when I have puzzles or problems to solve at work.

33. I always want to know the “whys” of things.

34. I love news and current events. Any and all current events.

35. I get excited for Election Day and the State of the Union.

36. A group of friends and I stayed up all night watching election results in 2000. When Bush was declared the winner of Florida and then the overall winner we wanted to hop in the car and drive to Austin to celebrate. We decided against it (most of us had class or work the next day) but we almost did.

37. I’ve been to Mexico, Haiti, and now Belize.

38. I want to go to Ireland, Scotland,England, Italy, and New Zeland.

39. My family traces back to some of the first settlers of Texas.

40. I love college football and I will watch anyone play anytime.

41. I played rugby in college. I was a second row and a prop. I named my parents’ dog Rugger (a rugby player) because of this. My rugby career ended because I have trick ankles that like to roll at inopportune times.

42. I took skiing lessons for three years straight. I’ve ridden down a ski lift. Most people do not get this honor and it is very special because they have to stop the lift to let you on and then stop it again to let you off. (I ski quite well now thankyouverymuch)

43. I supposedly use the phrase “Just so you know” excessively and have been made fun of for this crime.

44. I have a hard time saying supposedly, I like to say supposeVely.

45. I also say "Just for you FYI" and now it's become a catch phrase of my friends. Lesson Learned: If you can't speak with proper syntax and grammar, at least lead your friends astray while doing so.

46. I have either had roomies move out on me suddenly (once unannounced) or I have been moved out of my own house while I was out of state working at summer camp.

47. I’ve lived in a teepee for an entire summer.

48. I’ve helped to rescue a sinking boat (and by help I mean I’ve pointed a flashlight into the lake in which the boat sank).

49. I’ve been backpacking where I had to carry all my used toiletry items with me on the remainder of the trail. YUCK

50. My family gave me the nickname Katieradiator because my name is Katie and my middle name is Rae.

51. I was almost a Kitty. My mom named me after her best friend Kathryn Rae and she went by Kitty so I could have been a Kitty.

52. I know all the words to Wilson Phillips “Hold On”. I also know all the words to similar random songs of little notice.

53. I wuse to a skirt, hose, and heels to work every day except in the summers when I got to wear pants. Now I can wear whatever I want!

54. I once emptied our entire refrigerator in the middle of the night and tried to ice skate on two blocks of Velveeta Cheese. When I say everything I mean milk jug emptied, Tupperware containers emptied, eggs smashed on the floor. I would have gotten away with it if my minions in crime (my little sisters) hadn’t fallen and gone crying to my mom and ratted me out. I so could have blamed in on the cute little clones. Darn them.

55. I also led my sisters in another scheme of craziness when we stole their two birthday cakes and decided to decorate the walls with the icing and cake. I paid for both of these with some flesh off of my hiney. My parents did believe in corporal punishment.

56. I started out college as a CLEP (Communications, Legal Institutions, Economics, and Government) major, I then became a Print Journalism major, and I ended up with a Marketing major. My first post-college job was at a private school and now I'm a Children's Minister. Go figure.

57. I love Target. The store calls my name. I have to exercise huge self-control to drive by and not go in “just to look”. I get all excited when Target gets new shipments in and I think of all the things I could do with all the new stuff they have.

58. I have mentally re-decorated my bedroom 15 times over. I keep finding cute inexpensive stuff and I think that I could just redo the room and it would look fantastic. The problem is that each time I do a mental re-decoration it is in a totally different color scheme from what I currently have.

59. I hate waiting. I hate being late. I hate traffic. This adds up to a major case of road rage when I am driving.

60. I use to be a picky eater. There were about four meals that I liked. I had a staple meal at every major restaurant and I would only order these meals. I have since broken out and am willing to try various meals.

61. I use to HATE salads. Ugh I never knew the point; they were made with white lettuce and tomatoes (two things I dislike a lot). I’ve now grown to enjoy salads and will order them quite often (but they must have romaine lettuce or spinach, none of that iceberg white crunchy junk).

62. I love my bed, or any bed for that matter. In fact I just love sleeping. Does this qualify me for the deadly sin of slothfulness? I hope not. I love sleeping in. It is so not the same as going to bed early, as that is evidence of a responsible and boring person. Sleeping in is evidence of a wild and crazy person that must attain that magic number of sleep hours and does it on the flipside without planning or responsibility. I love the feeling of being all cozy in my bed and not worrying about when I need to wake up, or better yet TURNING OFF the alarm, snooze is not enough the horrid beeping must be halted and never heard from again.

63. I am very opinionated. I know many of you already know this but I thought I would go ahead and share it with anyone else out there who hasn’t met me, talked to me, or met someone who already knows me. I have opinions on all topics of interest and even some uninteresting topics. I like to have opinions, well thought out opinions in fact, I think that makes me a better, more informed, and active citizen.

64. I am accident prone and/or clumsy. The perfect example of this is the one time I smashed my HEAD in my car door. I was fixing the locking mechanism on my door and reached by to close it and see if I had indeed fixed the problem. Unfortunately my arm and my head were not speaking the same language and I slammed the door on my head, squishing my head between the body of the car and the door. This all happened in the church parking lot before services. After blacking out for a few seconds I regained consciousness and decided to go ahead to church. Bad idea. I cried through the entire service and finally at the end went in search of help. I found two guy friends who ever so kindly listened to my tale through hiccups, tears, and gasps and fixed my car. I ended up with a bruise running behind my ear and a headache for about a week.

65. I was in a bus accident. Yep, you read that correctly. Our youth group somehow figured out how to flip a bus on its side. I was thrown against the roof and knocked unconscious. After waking up I surged with adrenaline and helped with some of the injured students. When the paramedics arrived and took the girl I was comforting, I almost fainted again. They then back-boarded me (and almost dropped me no less) and I got a fun ride in the ambulance. After arriving at the hospital my adrenaline spiked again and I begged the nurses to let me check on the students and other leader who had also been brought to the hospital. I paid for all this adrenaline later that night when I arrogantly dismissed my injuries and went to church and fell asleep while sitting on the second row.

66. I’ve driven all the way to Dublin, TX. to get a real, honest to goodness Dublin Dr. Pepper. If you thought regular Dr. Pepper was perfection in a bottle than DDP (Dublin Dr. Pepper) is pure ecstasy. We also got a Frosty Pepper, the most delicious dessert known to man.

67. I’m ornery. Very ornery.

68. I have vivid dreams. There are mini-series dreams spread over multiple nights, recurring dreams that are always the same and have occurred since high school. Dreams where I am omnipotent like, i.e. I am all people and yet individually, don’t ask it’s weird I know. I have long detailed dreams with a plot, a cast of characters, and such.

69. I now work for a church where every day is Casual Friday!!! Jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops are back in rotation.

70. I love pranks, I love to pull pranks, I love to get away with pranks.

71. I can hold my own in Texas Hold Em (no pun intended). If fact I once faired pretty well for myself.

72. Although I HATE traffic I love driving my car. Give me a roadtrip, my ipod, and a nice day and I'm a happy gal.

73. Thanks to my father's "one-stop rule" from childhood I am not an obsessive bathroom stop roadtripper.

74. Having a child run up to me and give me a hug, or reach for me when I walk by makes my heart feel a very special joy.

75. The words "silly" and "reflective" are often used to describe me, which I find ironically funny and yet so true.

76. I love a good hammock.

33 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

*Stares at the screen*

That's it?

;)

4/27/2005 1:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Don't get all Blog Patrol on me, remember I out-rank you. Read and know the miracle that is kpinion.

4/27/2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Apparently you didn't notice the sarcastic tone of my comment.

My eyes were watering from reading your post for like 15 minutes straight.

But besides that...
I thought it was a super duper post.

So don't get all "Blog Patrol" on me either. ;)

4/27/2005 1:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

So from all this you now know of me you have no questions at all? Nothing to comment on? No jokes, no insights, nothing?

I feel shafted.

Kpinion crawls into the corner and rocks back and forth with her thumb in her mouth.

4/27/2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Are you kidding me... I could comment on so many different levels... where do I start?? Each point you made I could say something... for example:

GI Joe... Really.

That takes a lot of Gump-tion to use your brace wearing infant to get into the movies quicker.

Katie Bald... can't picture it.

You haven't missed much by not watching E.T. in its entirety.

Menudo? Are you kiding me?

In high school I was going to go to a Starship concert... but then some one in the church found out and sent my dad a letter about how Starship used to be Jefferson Airplane and how it was a big drug fest in the late 60's and early 70's so I couldn't go.

Do you still dance like this?

Who really knew how to play the recorder... join the rest of america.

I sat in gum at a carnival before.

When I was in 4th grade, my dad and I got stuck on top of a roller coaster because the seat belt in the last car broke. The guy in the car behind us kept saying, "mom is going to kill us" and then he asked my dad what time it was and my dad responded, "High Noon, get it, High noon?" We laughed.

Shall I go on?

4/27/2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Please go on

4/27/2005 2:30 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

LOL!!!! HE HE HE

I can't believe my post inspired this! IT's GREAT!

I must say there were a few things i had to comment on...

I didn't have G.I. Joe guys.... instead I just dressed up like one and was hanging from the trees in camo.... with my laser tag gun and belt!!!! I can relate!! he he he

So can relate to really mispronouncing one word... for example for me it is MASSACHSETTS...I hate to admit it but I pronounce it MASSACHUSHITS.... yes... you read it right and I found out I pronounced it wrong when I was in 9th grade doing a report on that state in front of the whole class when the kids all broke into uncontrollable laughter and the teacher was shocked!

I ALWAYS say thing great in my head and they come out wrong...and in addition is someone says a phrase that reminds me or a song... I break out into song.... embarrassing BEN!....

I STILL HATE SALADS... rabbit food... give me prime rib in au jou sauce

BED.... oh sweet bed... don't get me started on wanting to stay in my bed... I could lay there for hours .... and hours... and hours... well you get the picture....

This next one is the more important... I WANT A DDP! I LOVE DR. PEPPER and I want one of the ones you had!!!! IT's all about ME!

Lastly from now on I am going to leave messages on your blog... sayin...."HELLO KITTY!!"

Yes it is your new nickname from me!! I think you should add a pic of her to your web design!

4/27/2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

All my girlfriends are ornery. Love it! Still trying to digest the rest. I'll have to read it again when I'm not stealing a few precious moments with Enviro-spouse's computer (mine has yet to be resurrected). Did I ever tell you that I was a teacher and administrator in independent school for way too long?

4/27/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

kt! i loved reading all these interesting factoids about you! i feel like i know you so much better now!

4/27/2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

When you dyed your hair and it turned out red, orange, pinneapple yellow... etc. I bet you could have "dyed".

You have grabbed a cockroach and thrown it out the window before?

Reminds me about a joke about the challenger... but I will refrain.

I am impressed that you would go to Clinton's inauguration. I wouldn't.

Did Micheal Bolton sing "How am I supposed to live without you?" I can't remember.

Which Inaugural Ball was better?

You're a corn nut... Seriously, You don't like corn nuts?

Never been kissed? Wow.

Minivan? Capris Classic? Were you SO cool in high school, or was that just in your mind?

Never been kissed AND you know how to use a whip... dangerous.

By excited when you get puzzles at work, do you mean "giddy?"

I wrote a letter to the editor of our local newspaper the day after the Bush/Gore election... it was published.

Continue?

4/27/2005 4:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Answers:

Menudo - grew up in SE Texas, we weren't that far of a run for the border and Menudo was good (at least by the opinion of a first or second grader)

Dancing - I can bust a move

I will send Syd a Dublin Dr. Pepper but i have to figure out how to keep it from getting all shook up

AFG - we must meet and wallow in the craziness

Cockroach removal at a sports camp, bugs like light especially at dark, girls don't like bugs, girls scream, katie grabs bug and flings it out the window, katie hero

It was the inaguration of the POTUS, and whoever it was I was proud to take part in the process of having a fully elected by the people leader swearing to protect and lead our country (Katie stands and places hand over heart as the star spangled banner plays in the background)

Yes M.Bo sang that song, and with a major cheese factor in my opinion

In addition to never been kissed, never dated, never had a boyfriend, ok I now sound like a loser but I'm not I'm fun, I have lots of great guy friends and I think I'm datable, guess I'm just being protected from the "could have beens"

I was COOL in high school because I knew how to use a whip

In a weird way I do get giddy with puzzle projects at work (ask me about making our class schedule by hand next time)

4/27/2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Katie... I don't whether you were cool in high school... but one thing is for sure. You are really cool now. As Beyonka would say, "You rock my face off!"

(Seriously, I think that means you are really cool cause she said it to me on Jes's site... so it either means that or that I am a really big loser and that she was making fun of me.... but I believe it was the first definition... but if she meant the second definition, then just know that when I just said it... I meant the first definition.)

In short; you are cool.

4/27/2005 4:43 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh... and don't send me a Dublin Dr. Pepper, because I hate Dr. Pepper.

(Good thing you have so many other factors that make you cool... cause if your only description of you was, "I like Dr. Pepper" then you would be really un-cool.

lol.

4/27/2005 4:46 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh... and don't send me a Dublin Dr. Pepper, because I hate Dr. Pepper.

(Good thing you have so many other factors that make you cool... cause if your only description of you was, "I like Dr. Pepper" then you would be really un-cool.

lol.

4/27/2005 4:46 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

>:)

4/27/2005 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I resent the minion remark. Just so you all know, KT led my sister and I down a path of trouble many a times, and yes, we followed blindly each and every time. I think we finally learned that we were only invited so KT could later blame the entire incident on us.
KT says she only got a camel when we were born, but do not let her fool you, she not only got a camel she got two slaves that would do anything she said.
Oh and about the dance KT did in elementary school, she forgot to mention it was to the Tiffany song "I Think We're Alone Now," and YES we have it on tape, and I have the tape. HA HA

4/27/2005 7:55 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oooh blackmail!

I love it when siblings threaten each other.

4/27/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Ricky that is a great question... because KATIE wouldn't do that to us would she? Put a charicture on her blog that doesn't look like her... that would be misleading, and my world would come crashing down around me and I would wonder if it was ALL a lie.

(This conversation sounds eerily familiar... don't ya think Katie?)

4/28/2005 11:25 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I would just like to point out that my sister made her first ever appearance on my blog - she is a silent viewer and I am glad that I pushed her into revealing herself.

Ricky - I am blonde;I do have bluish-green eyes;I do not have crazy light blonde eyebrows but Eddo has not been able to alter that item yet;I wish I was as thin as the picture but hello she does not have a normal woman's body; my hair is currently not that long but it has been before and most likely will soon return; i wear a skirt to work everyday so the attire is accurate but I don't own bunny slippers (hint hint for any gift givers out there).

4/28/2005 11:47 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

You know... I NEVER noticed the bunny slippers before...

Must have been too distracted by the eyebrows.

4/28/2005 1:05 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

first: i thoroughly enjoyed this post. MUCH better than the recent series of "i-am-so-buried-by-work-that-i-am-putting-up-this-fake-post-to-appease-my-readers." those are not funny.

second: i have only been to three or four concerts in my life, and one of them was Starship!

third: you are SO right about the nasty easter candy. do those things have a name?

fourth: this has nothing to do with your post, but i don't get the term "rock my face off" and i think it sounds perverted. that is my a-pinion.

thanks for a great post! i loved it!

4/28/2005 1:16 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

KT: I swear I just clicked on your site, and the eyes of the KT doll were blinking. That, or I'm going crazy. Is it animated?

When you emptied your refrigerator – did you throw it all away, or eat it? I don’t think you would have eaten it, but maybe you were really hungry. Or maybe you were having a party.

4/28/2005 2:19 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jes - nice of you to visit FINALLY, I was getting a complex.

When I emptied the fridge I was four or five and I emptied it all onto the floor (ALL - my mom reminded me last night that I unwrapped and opened everything - raw meat, tupperware containers, jars, jugs, bags, EVERYTHING). She had to scoop things up with the dustpan to haul it out of the ice rink (oops I mean kitchen)

4/28/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Amanda-

I don't get "freak a beak" either... these Tehhhkkkksassss sayings are weird...

But you know the saying: When posting on a blog of someone who is in Rome.... Blog like the Romans do...

4/28/2005 3:31 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

KT: i visited it earlier, and commented. and then i visited it again, and commented again. see? now, i am a thrice-commenter.

also, BEN: amanda sue is in texas. does this mean she should understand "freak a beak"?

4/28/2005 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you feel about mud?

4/29/2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Anonymous are you a relative? Because you did make me remember a nice story of my childhood:

My grandparents have a beach house down by Galveston (they've had it for ages - since my dad was a kid) and there is a empty lot next door that we use to ride around on the lawn mower and burn trash. On this paticular occasion, it became our own personal mudbath. My sisters and I went out in our bathing suits as kids (I was maybe 5 or 6) and we played in the mud all day long and came back as the creatures from the pit.

4/29/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

katie, i had a similar experience in my back yard growing up. except my friends have it on video.

i hope they never use it for blackmail.

4/29/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

KT Kadoo, that is my new nickname for you, no rhyme intended - the phrase just well - blended.

Any who - I read all of these on my BlackBerry and I laughed out loud at a couple - you should have numbered them so I could have said, "I laughed out loud at number 4, 8, 73, and number 5763"

I apologize for not commenting sooner, being the founder of Blog Patrol my duties sometimes require me to read my "Must Read Blogs" on my handheld devices.

Anyway, Brilliant list.

Oh, and are we meeting at your house this weekend or do we want to meet at mine again? Or Jes'?

Let us know.

5/02/2005 2:37 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I feel somehow closer to you now...

7/27/2005 3:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

and maybe a little bit more fearful of the crazy blonde with the long lists

7/27/2005 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"28. I like to pile things. A pile of clean clothes here waiting to be folded. A pile of dirty clothes there waiting to be washed. A pile of unopened mail, a pile of dishes, a pile of paperwork, piles, piles, piles."

Your piles gave me smiles, smiles, smiles.

Piles \Piles\, n. pl. [L. pila a ball.]
The small, troublesome tumors or swellings about the anus and lower part of the rectum which are technically called hemorrhoids. See Hemorrhoids.

n 1: pain caused by venous swelling at or inside the anal sphincter [syn: hemorrhoid, haemorrhoid]


"29. I’ve never kissed or been kissed by a gentleman (or any man gentle or not)."

Don't worry about the boys. Girls are way better kissers.

4/11/2008 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Diana G said...

Our Barbies got buzz cuts and were pressed into GI Joe's army. They often didn't survive the special missions. May they rest in peace...

4/14/2009 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home