Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hmmm chocolate

This happened yesterday afternoon:

There is a Styrofoam plate on my desk right now with remnants of a deli sandwich. I am a very picky eater, as many of my readers will testify to. I pick off all vegetables from my deli sandwiches (turkey, cheese, spicy mustard, and every so often if I am in the mood add a little pickles and spinach; this is the perfect sandwich to me) mostly because veggies cause the bread to be soggy (as does oil and vinegar – who thought this would be a good addition to a sandwich, you might as well soak my bread in a vat of fat for a few hours and serve me a soggy piece of rancid dough as the bookends to my now slimy meat and wet cheese). But I digress from the original point (I digress a lot I’ve realized).

So I have sandwich leftovers on the plate, little streamers of lettuce to be exact. The pieces that I couldn’t scrape off my sandwich without pulling each slice of turkey meat off the bread individually and wiping it with a paper towel (I’ve completed this process on occasion of course). I also have a homemade brownie (homemade by someone else of course because other people’s homemade brownies are magically better than mine – maybe because my homemade come from a box mix, one egg, and a table spoon of the oil from the nasty soggy sandwich mentioned above). And while I hate mixing foods, I actually prefer those elementary lunch trays with their defensive walls that prevent food mixing, I am entranced by the brownie and will look past the streamers of lettuce that cling to it chocolaty goodness as I shove it in my mouth and press my finger upon the plate to eat every morsel of brownie crumb that is left.

Am I obsessive compulsive, a chocolate freak, or just a girl? Hmmmmm


It will be a double blog day today so look for a second post this afternoon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Hmmmm, how old are you, Katie? This is exactly how my six-year-old daughter acts. Nothing on the plate is allowed to touch anything else. But if I drop an oreo onto the remnants of her dinner, she will give it a quick wipe and shove it into her mouth.

5/05/2005 10:52 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, i'm the same: nothing can touch, only certain condiments are allowed on my sandwich.

oil is only for dipping, and that is only when it is olive oil and yummy soft bread at the restaurant. it never turns out the same when i try to do it at home.

maybe the type of oil (squeezed from the soggy bread) is what is wrong with your brownies. perhaps we'll have a lesson this weekend. ;)

5/05/2005 10:54 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hmmm edgy mama are you saying I have the eating habits of a six year old? Well yep I do. I am ANAL about food, what it smells like, what it touches, how it looks, etc. I'm getting better and at six I think I only ate PB&J sandwiches so I'm getting better now, I actually like some vegetables and now eat mashed potatoes (which I refused to eat until I was in high school - it was a consistency thing).

Jes - I fear if I try to excel at brownie making the cookies gods will get jealous and I will lose my super cookie baking powers (and that can never happen because that is how I'm going to land a husband)

5/05/2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

well, as long as you have a plan, i'll let you stick to it! ;)

5/05/2005 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home