Thursday, April 14, 2005

Wha? Huh? Am I that old?

Twice, TWICE now I have heard songs from my youth in commercials. Songs that were so COOL when I was in late elementary and junior high.

Old Navy - Old navy tries to hard to be cool with a little bit of the absurd. Remember all the cute teens and college students with their performance fleece. My skin crawls at the remembrance of those commercials. So I was surprised when I was pulled from the kitchen upon hearing a tune that was familiar. I happened upon a sad, sad moment. It seems the advertising execs at Old Navy have decided that it is time to tear to shreds the songs of a generation. They've decided the best way to advertise their new tunics is to rewrite the song "Bust a Move". You want it, you got it, you want it, baby you got it, just bust a move. They have replaced move with "tunic" or better yet I believe it is actually "tun" which must be the new lingo for tunic.

GM - Now we all know that General Motors is not the most hip car manufacturer. When I think of GM I think of my grandparents, nostalgia, apple pie, and other Americana type old items. I guess that GM is trying to appeal to a younger crowd so they have come up with a commercial that both exploits the space program (which by the way is pretty tacky with the shuttle explosion last year and the problems they have encountered sending another shuttle into space and relieving the space station crew, but that is not my original point) and has a hip, cool, retro even theme song. What song might they be using you ask. Well let me just tell you: “Push It” – ah push it, ah push it, ah push it, push it real good. Did I just enter crazy world, Eddie are you behind the curtain directing this episode of craziness.

So there you go people, my people, my generation, the songs of our youth are not anthems for commercials. Both are used to their detriment and maybe even death.

Ben you might think this is for you but I intended to steal a few minutes from the ever growing paperwork pile and give a baby blog to the people.

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Think what you want... but we both know you posted to feed my addiction... ;)

"Songs that were so COOL when I was in late elementary and junior high."

Do you really know what's cool at this age?? They are songs from Late High School for me... lol.

4/14/2005 9:53 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Yes, KT, you are correct, I have set up a consulting agency, it is how our convent makes it's money, I have my crazy followers do ad compaigns for companies that pay big money, and it just so happens that many of my crazy followers love music from the 80's, 90's and Today, we keep it locked on 102.9...

Glad you are back.

4/14/2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

don't forget 100.3 Jack FM. It is a good back up plan for those "oldies but goodies" Oh, the songs of yesteryear.

4/14/2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

????

Back.

4/14/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

hi. :) i haven't seen said commercials. i guess i should start watching more TV. make that: i guess i should start watching TV.

4/14/2005 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently we are from the same generation, ha. Yeah, I noticed that old navy commercial, too.

Anyhoo, thanks for stopping by and I have posted your interview questions....under my Interview me post, ENJOY!

4/15/2005 1:53 PM  
Blogger lws said...

just blog hopping :)cool age generations....

cheers:)

4/15/2005 2:05 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

KT, you are so totally a member, but that button should go discreetly down by the I Power Blogger button, I am very impressed with you though, I didn't know you knew how to do html edits!

See you tomorrow!

4/15/2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I do surprise people very often. I also like to keep some of my skills underwraps so I can amaze others or better yet get them to do what I can easily do but would rather not. Now that is diplomacy at its finest.

I just wanted everyone to know that I was a member of blog patrol. I feel like I should have a badge or something, and a call sign. Hmmm I'll have to think about that call sign thing.

4/15/2005 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A car commercial with the song "push it" in the background--how strangely ironic. Me thinks a marketing manager was probably fired recently.

Came here via Jes, but with eddo's recommendation too. Nice site!

4/18/2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I know what you mean. I am 5 years older than my wife. After that commercial was on the other day I looked at her and sang "Girl in yellow, she says hello. Come sit next to me you fine fellow..." She didn't get it.

4/19/2005 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home