Thursday, February 03, 2005

Talking about my America

Now why is it when a person is overwhelmingly obsessed with their sports team they are called a super fan, when a person is supercommitted to all things pop culture they are considered trendy and hip, but when a younger member of this country is excited about, or even just willing to tune in to the State of the Union they are considered weird (thank you Jessica) or a 40+ year old man (thank you Amanda Sue, I don't know you but I think I'm going to like you even with the sarcasm)?

People did you forget all that you learned about our government, our history? Are we so obsessed with our own personal lives that we take for granted the shear amazingness of this thing called democracy.

I watched the State of the Union, I got excited, and yes I even choked up. In case you didn't tune in I want to tell you about two of President Bush's special guest in his wife's box. One was a woman from Iraq whose father died, I believe under Hussein's regeime, and she voted for the first time in her entire life in the Iraqi election on Sunday. She held up her index finger to show the ink used to mark she had voted. Later he introduced a set of parents whose son was killed in the taking of Falluga. The mother had mentioned to her son when he was on leave that she wanted to protect his like when he was a child and the son told her that it was his turn to protect her. The two women embraced and I got choked up.

If you want to know what this war accomplishes. Look at these two women. One who had to lose her son, who holds dog tags in rememberance of the price he paid. One who lsot her father but for the first time got to have a say in her government. Who proudly displays a blue finger to mark the event. Two women with different backgrounds, different sacrifices, but connected.

I realized last night that I wish I had one ounce of the honor that mother did for a son who answered a call from his country, who died in a foreign land never knowing the product of his sacrifice, who with his life gave an Iraqi woman to share in a freedom he might have once taken for granted. I wish I had one ounce the excitement and hope that this Iraqi woman had that her vote was counted, that her voice was heard, that it was even allowed to speak and to say this is my opinion on our country.

So poo poo on you who think I'm weird. I'm not the reason that our generation is considered apathetic. How quickly we take for granted the freedom we possess, the freedom we have to vote, to express our opinions, to question our government, to seek change, the power in our voice.

Last Sunday one woman's voice was heard for the first time in her country. You who have that freedom from birth, why do you so easily take it for granted?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eddo Here - I fly my colors high i sing it out loud, I'm black and i'm proud... oh, wait, we weren't talking about that kind of freedom- or were we?

2/03/2005 10:37 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

OH. is that why all those people were holding up red and blue fingers? i couldn't figure that out.


dude. kt. i just read the rest of your post. you're right though. i do take it for granted. i used to be WAY into politics. i was in student govt in high school, and college. and then i moved away from SFA and all things political suddenly slipped from my brain and i became ignorant.

signed,
the ignoramus
(but at least I voted.)

2/03/2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jessica - thanks for the frankness. The funny thing is that we look at "all things political" as being something to be in to, a hobby, an interest, but it is our NATIONAL GOVERNMENT, it determines the laws we obey, the taxes we pay, the freedoms we have, the everyday items of our lives that we think appear out of nowhere. Somehow our country has become so automated and actually self indulged that we don't look to the hand that feeds us. Jessica this is in no way specifically directed at you but at the nation as a whole. I've realized that, as in all things, unless it becomes personal or has an individual effect on each of us we take anything for granted. We accept the status quo as just that, how it is with no thought to the why or hows. Think at the outrage this country would express if our ability to vote was taken away, if our modern freedoms were limited. Is that what it will take to make us wake up and realize that day in and day out men and women who speak for us decide the direction of our lives? Is that what it will take for us to participate or will we just sit at home, happy because we have our cheeseburgers, our internet connection, and our government issued holidays. It is scary how easily it would be to quietly take away certain freedoms, rights, and just leave the comfort ones. Ugh my brain hurts and my soapbox broke so I will stop now.

2/03/2005 11:45 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

This is a prime example of why I love Katie.

I know, I know. I take sooo many things for granted. My paycheck. My ability to choose my own career, rather than having my govt choose one for me. My ability to have a choice in who leads the govt, at all levels. My ability to worship openly, without fear of arrest. The food that I eat, the clothes I wear, the house I live in, the health care we have.

as i tell Roger often, I am one of the most selfish people i know. i've become aware of this fact since i've been married.

2/03/2005 11:52 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jessica - Take heart, I am the most selfish person I know. I think selfishness is national problem. It is bred by way of capitalism, freedom, life. The thing is that we realize it and make an effort, a true effort, not just the theory of an effort, to change some part of our life to be less selfish. It is by no means easy, I struggle daily, hourly, actually every second I think or act with it but maybe just maybe I can once in a while think about things outside myself and that is a victory.

2/03/2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

OKAY. You win. It is cool to be interested in politics. YOU MAKE IT COOL!

And I really didn't think you were my dad. But he does like the History Channel a lot, too.

2/03/2005 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home