Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Does that make me weird?

I love the History Channel. I really, really like to watch it. It is the perfect go-to channel.
It has shows on everything you ever wanted to know and things you probably need to know. It fulfill my quest for random and in depth knowledge. I love it.


I think there is a point where in normal acquaintance conversation you cross the line into over-sharing. This is a point where I have stopped listening and am now visualizing shoving article within my reach into my ears. Sometimes this includes personal items that you think I want to know. I really don’t need to know about the schedule of your day, how you were supposed to get your hair cut and then something happened and you wanted to make asparagus for dinner but it was so wilted at the grocery store, and then you ran into so and so in the frozen food aisle and then you share with me their innate information (by the way if I don’t know you that well, then I don’t want to know about people that barely know – stop the insanity of passing on non-knowing knowledge). I am all for get to know you conversation, building friendships, but hey if I’m in the middle of doing something or going somewhere I really don’t want to have a conversation that offers no nutritional value.


I’m very specific on my food. I am a recovering “picky eater” and I’m making strides but hey a girl’s got to have her standards. See I will eat a piece of candy that has fallen on the floor if I deem the floor to be fairly clean. What are those standards you may ask, well here are a few: Visible sticky stuff, visible wet stuff, the traffic flow prior to the fall, the presence of hair of any kind (this negates all bathrooms, dog areas, etc. as viable floor eating areas), visible dirt, how long has the food actually been on the floor, what type of food fell (i.e. is it in itself a questionable food to begin with, hard items that are not porous are good to drop, but sticky or wet-like items are dead before they even hit the floor). I have other food standards, the following items are off-limits: mashed potatoes with any foreign substance in them (peas, meat, etc.); corn-nuts; cream savers; gravy (any kind); SOGGY BREAD – this is the mother load of no-no foods, and this of course means dumplings are out as well as crackers in soups; things in eggs, i.e. omelets. Pretty much a standard rule should be that all food should stay within the confines of its selected areas on my plate. I am not a food mixer. My dad is, my mom is, but I am not. I like segregation when it comes to food. In fact I would be perfectly happy eating of the separated trays of the elementary lunch room. Now I am not a high maintenance eater, I have actually explored food areas that I would once not even thing of treading into but I am a little bit specific in certain areas.


I love to google things. I love to investigate the what, when, where, why and hows of things. I’m a nerd. I’m ok with this, my nerdom and I have made peace and we have decided to accept each other and live in harmonious nerdishlisness.

I am fairly capable. In everything. I don’t especially like this capability (not culpability) but it is what it is. I think it is a product of many factors, 1) I’m a self-starter, 2) I was very independent at a young age, 3) My singleness (when you are going it alone it is kind of hard to track down someone to squish your bug or carry your luggage) 4) My organizational/administrative skills 5) My can-do attitude (sometimes becomes must-do). So the point of this self realization is to say that while I am capable I would most happily welcome the ability to lay my capability aside and have someone there to remove the need for me to be.

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

First off - Nicolle gets the Kpinion Reader of the Week award for outstanding readership and comments. Congratulations Nicolle. If you were here I would take a picture with you and post it on the site. But you are not here, I don't have a digital camera (gift idea anyone) and I'm not quite sure how to even post the picture a simple congratuations will have to do.

Secondly - friends are exempt for all inane conversation rules, you have the ultimate freedom to overshare as much as you would like and tell me about all the other people in your life. This is the line of thinking on this rule, I like you, I want to talk to you, I know things about you, You are my friend, therefore I am happy to hear anything in your life, even if it is a hair appt misshap, your search for produce, or your friend who had something happen to them. I've invested time in you so I want all the information I can get.

Thirdly - Creamsaves and omlettes, you must be joking, the bile is rising in my throat as I type. Dry heaves here I come. Oh the horror.

2/01/2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

katie. i really want to read this blog. but my eyes are so tired, that when i blinked after reading the first sentence/question, my eyelids became glued shut and were stinging as though i had tiny little daggers jammed in my eyeball.

i am THAT TIRED.

that said, i promise to come back later, when my eyes are free of daggers, and read this post.

Thank you,
the management.

i really like ending things by saying, "Thank you, the management." it just makes me feel official. and i like feeling official.

Thank you again,
the management. again. :)

2/01/2005 1:46 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

i also posted this on my site:

kt, you're pitiful. at least i mentioned you in the title to my own blog. TWICE IN A ROW. is that not something, katie? who else has that honor?

ONLY YOU, KATIE.

that said, i am blowing you off for a while. don't worry, i'm doing it to everyone else, too. my eyes have become infested with dagger-like pain. you know the kind of pain that occurs only when you are lacking sleep and have to stare at a computer all day long?

on top of that, i'm closing another acquisition in 14 days. count 'em: 1, 2, 3, 4....14. i'm too lazy to type them all out. that means that i'm being FORCED to stare at the computer anyways.

all that to say: patience, young grasshopper. i promise to read and comment on your site before the stroke of midnight.

2/01/2005 1:59 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

OH. MY. WORD. I just read what you posted on my site and laughed out loud about the TAPEWORM!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!!

Now I can read what you posted on your site.

2/01/2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

okay. i'm going to read in small portions throughout the day. i will comment as i go along:

katie, what do the history channel and grocery store asparagus conversations about intimate matters have to do with each other? i'm confused.

i have a love-hate relationship with google. i prefer yahoo. however, i was recently introduced to google ad sense. everytime someone clicks on the little google button on my site, I GET PAID FOR IT. GOOGLE, I LOVE YOU.

please feel free to check my site many times a day and click on the google button. add one to your site, and i will do the same for you.

2/01/2005 2:13 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I come by way of Jessica. Your blog is funny and I certainly don't say that about everyone's blog. Today I skimmed blogs about 1)knitting 2)alcoholism and 3)third order nuns. Those blogs are "not funny." You win!

2/01/2005 5:47 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

amanda. i afraid to ask WHERE you found those other blogs. and i laughed out loud when i read how katie won the funny award. glad you dropped by here. :)

2/01/2005 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home