Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Me, myself, and I (what a conversation)

Do you ever talk to yourself? Out loud? Not just a word or two here and there. Not mumbling some to do list, but actual conversations out loud with yourself?

I do.

Quite often actually.

Now before any of you start calling the happy bus that takes me to the nice, safe, padded cell hear me out for a minute or two.

I like to talk outloud. I live alone so after a while if you've been in your house for hours alone you begin to forget what your voice sounds like. It's is a very weird sensation to occur. You begin to wonder if, in fact, you have lost the ability to speak at all. So you have to talk and you have noone else but yourself to talk to.

Don't judge, some of you yell at the T.V. when someone on your show does something you don't like, some of you even yell out plays or directions to an athlete during a NFL game. You are the crazy people, like they can even hear you. At least when I talk to myself I know I am talking to a real and present audience.

I like to talk to myself in the car also. Sometimes I debate things, sometimes I make long speeches (never oscar acceptance one though, maybe a nobel peace prize acceptance one but just that one time). Sometimes I reenact a conversation I had with another person that didn't go the way I wanted and I replay it with all the corrections I have now had time to consider. Sometimes I have pre-emptive conversations, getting my thoughts in line for an upcoming discussion. Now realize that I never play the other part of the conversation, I'm not that out of it.

And then sometimes I just talk about whatever is in my head. The good thing about talking in the car is that previously people would look at me rather funny because I often talk with my hands so it was obvious that I wasn't singing along to the music, unless of course it was some weird tribal music that required handmotions. But now with the invention of the handsfree cell phone systems I can talk and most people assume that I'm on the phone with someone. I'm an undercover self-talker.

So know that if I'm ever in the room with you and I begin talking but it seems like I'm talking to noone, I'm just talking to myself, and hey I may even be practicing my conversation that I will have with you in just a few moments.

Is that weird?

2 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

kt, i don't talk out loud to myself, but i'm constantly talking to myself in my head.

i like to get my thoughts together before i have a conversation, but then i ACTUALLY PLAY OUT BOTH SIDES OF THE CONVERSATION AND EVERY POSSIBLE SCENARIO THAT COULD OCCUR.

i also like to replay conversations, and then do the same thing that you described when you replay conversations in your head.

since we both do these things, i'd like to declare that they MUST be VERY normal. ;)

1/12/2005 6:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hello everyone, if you take the time to read the comments at this moment I can't post. I'm not sure what the problem is but I've emailed blogger for assistance. Please know that I have a post ready and waiting as soon as the problem is cleared up.

1/13/2005 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home