Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's the big THREE-OH

Jes of Chirky (the artist formerly known as Just Say Jes and soon to be known as only a symbol) is celebrating a birthday on Thursday. And alas, she will not be the big THREE-OH as my title asssumes instead she will be a nice even 28.

I tried to talk her into turning 30 so that she would experience that age before me but she has decided against this and I am a bit disappointed in her willingness to suffer for our friendship. But since her birthday is coming up I won't hold it against her (for now at least).

But her turing the only somewhat smaller than the bit THREE-OH, 28 brings up an interesting semantics lesson. What exactly is 28? Is it the "upper 20's"? the "late 20's"? is it *gasp* "almost 30"? I tended to refer to my prior year of existence, 27, as part of the general "mid 20's" and yet now that I am approaching the cliff of insanity, 29, i figured I should prepare myself by saying I am in my "upper 20's" or "late 20's".

Mind you I am often asked what my major is in college and where I go to school, and if my mommy knows I'm out so late on a school night (ok maybe not the last one). The point is that even in my "late 20's" I'm still holding on to the youthful glow of innocence - ha if they only knew.

So my question is, when I hit the big THREE-OH, can I call them the "20's plus" or maybe the "20's supersized" or even just the "later 20's". You know just for the first few years in the new decade, cause really what is the difference between 28 and 32? I mean when I'm 32 I assume I will finally look like I'm 28, so why not call myself that. I heard that perception becomes reality so if I am perceived of being young, i might as well make that my own reality.

Ok all you "20's pluses" feel free to give me a hard time for all my whining and such. But do so at your own risk cause you've all passed the big THREE-OH and I have no problem fighting back.

Oh and happy pre-emptive birthday to Jes. Let's celebrate a day early.

16 Comments:

Blogger JLR said...

As someone who just celebrated her 30th birthday recently, I have to say that I feel your pain. I would say "late 20s." It still sounds young but also mature, in a good way.

7/12/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

hey! I was first to post! yea!

7/12/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

let's see if I can be the first FIVE POSTS.

7/12/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

yea! I made it!

7/12/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

no, wait, that was just four. This is five.

7/12/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ahahaha, Go JLR Go

You can have a conversation all by yourself on here (I do that sometimes - have conversations with myself, though not on comments)

7/12/2006 1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm still sticking with "20's delusional" and "20's denying reality"

7/12/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm in the cliff's of insanity alright.

19 days. 19 wee days of being "late 20's".

Wee is my Scottish word of the day.

I'm weeping.

7/12/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I am 31 and I hate it. I feel really old.

Enjoy 30 while you can. Cause when you're 31 or 32 - you really are into your 30s!

7/12/2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger steve said...

30 was high school and half of junior high ago....

7/13/2006 3:40 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

I'm 34. 40 is the new 30. No worries till then. At which time I expect that 45 or 50 will become the new 30.

Follow me?

7/13/2006 9:04 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

Perspective, huh?

Nothing wrong with being 30. Getting old is a wonderful thing :). No, seriously, 30's not old. And late 20s is a fine way to think of things. It's denial I despise, not age.

It is a bit reassuring to know I'm not the only one who is being relegated to babyhood. I keep getting asked what grade I'm in. And I tell them that while I'll appreciate their misconception when I'm 32, it's not so wonderful when I'm 22.

7/13/2006 9:21 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

3 Oh is not big
PLease S T O P !

God, if I could be 30 again.

i posted a pic of a weird outfit, do you know where they get this stuff?

7/13/2006 10:49 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

hmmm so by the looks of the comments I'm on the bottom rung of the age scale here.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

7/13/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

lia: I USED to think 30 wasn't old, until I turned 30. Now, well, it's not that it's old, exactly, but it does make you realize all the stuff you meant to accomplish by now but haven't yet! I don't feel old so much as behind schedule. And also, even though I've never wanted children before, I am now KEENLY aware of how many years I have left of child-bearing age, i.e., how long I have left to change my mind before it's too late!

But I do say that having hit the big 3-0, I just don't have some of the worries I used to, so that's good. And now I can do that annoying, condescending, "well, when you get to be my age, you'll understand" thing to my friends in their 20s. So, katie (and jes and lia), you have that to look forward to. And when you get to be my age, you'll appreciate that.
[see what I did there? So much fun!]

7/13/2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

thanks kristen, yep I'm either at the top or at the bottom

7/13/2006 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home