Friday, June 30, 2006

I was hesitant at first

Last night I went to dinner with a few friends (WHAAAAD UP JCol, Brian, and Eddo - eddo and brian you can change the "whad up" to your own style if you like) and we hit this amazing burger joint in town. JCol and Brian ordered an appetizer that immediately made my nose turn up and my stomach do a flip flop.

Fried Pickles.


Just the idea of deep frying a pickle made me a bit nauseous. I’m not really a picky or high maintenance eater, I’m just a very visual eater and I get an idea of how something will taste in my mind and I convince myself that it must be naaaaasssssssty. So when the thought of a fried pickle popped into my brain I figured it couldn’t be good. (I live in Texas, land of the fried foods, and I’m hesitant about eating these crazy concoctions – shhhh, don’t tell anyone).

But being the risk taker that I am (go ahead and laugh, you know you want to) I asked Brian if I could sample one of the FPs and then if I could complain about how gross it was. I wanted to prepare him for my reaction that I was convinced would occur. He gave me this weird look (which is a normal thing for Brian to give me) and said sure.

So I selected my victim, took a deep breath, and bit into the fried picklelyness. Much to my surprise I liked it. I not only liked it, I immediately began to contemplate changing my order to four baskets of fried picklely bits of heaven. Is there enough nutritional value in a pickle and deep fried batter to make this worthy of a full meal?

So now I have a new guilty pleasure. It sounds pretty gross, and I’m still not over the mental assault that the words “fried pickles” bring to my brain, but the taste more than makes up for that.

Next thing you know I’ll be that person at the State Fair who consumes two deep fried corny dogs, a deep fried snickers, and a deep fried peanut butter, jelly, and banana sandwich. Ok, well maybe I’ll just stick to the fried pickles (and a corny dog).

18 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

"I immediately began to contemplate changing my order to four baskets of fried picklely bits of heaven"

Pickly bits of heaven?!?! hahahahahaha That was the greatest line ever!

Oh and uh... gross, by the way.

6/30/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Now I want to try a fried pickle. I like dill pickle chips... is it anything like that?

6/30/2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Sounds fascinating! Never heard of it before though.

6/30/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

Um... no.

6/30/2006 4:03 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Dont think I didnt take note of you calling me out on my deep fried eating abilities...

I also had a slurpee and a bunch of Eddo's Turkey leg and ice cream.

If there waspickles i would have eaten them too!!

I am now reminded of the girl of the Maury show that is DEATHLY afraid of pickles!!!

SERIOUSLY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S89Y4shxtE

this will freak you out!!

6/30/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger steve said...

AND SHES A WAITRESS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S89Y4shxtE


PICKLEPHOBIA!!!!

6/30/2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

ew. ew ew ew. I guess I shouldn't be disgusted because I like fried twinkies. But ew.

7/01/2006 9:44 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

i had the fried pickle SPEARS, they were yummy, and so meaningless, a perfect American delicacy.

here from there... soon to return

7/01/2006 11:17 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

the pickle phobia video is the best - I dont know who is weirder, pickle phobia girl or Maury.... what a riot ! I am so stealing this for my blog!

7/01/2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

The best fried pickles I have ever had are at Snuffers... we should go!

My guilty pleasure are the cheese fries from Snuffers... yummmmm!

7/01/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Ok...I think I am going to have to say a big Eeeeeeewwwwwww! I don't care for pickles, though I do like those little ones you serve at parties (I forget what they are called) - you know, the little 'baby' looking ones? But I don't like them enough to fry them and eat them. No, I think I'll pass on this...

7/01/2006 7:07 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

The only people I know that can eat that much at the State Fair in one sitting are the twins. Yes, RR and JLR. They may be super skinny, but they can pack away that fried nastiness. Ick.

Maybe this year, people will stop by to say HELLO to me (instead of electing to not say HELLO). I might ignore you on principal, though. Especially, if you insist on paying something ridiculous for parking and State Fair admission. Me, my car (and whatever is in my car) get into the park for FREE. I get to park right next to the Chevy Stage. Just keep that in mind...

7/02/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

four baskets of fried picklely bits of heaven


I LOVE IT! I wanna try one!

7/02/2006 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Camille?

7/03/2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

everytime I come to your blog, I see these PICKLES!!! YUMMMMMM!

They look soooooo good!

7/04/2006 11:28 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ahahahaha Sebastian came to my blog, wow I feel so . . . . like I've been dragged into a soap opera


And AIMS we are so on for Snuffers, fried pickles AND cheese fries, I will just have to fast for a few day beforehand

7/04/2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

"contemplate changing my order to four baskets of fried picklely bits of heaven." hahaha... this sounds like something I would say. I also enjoyed your burger leftovers, I will be getting chili on mine every time from now on - that was so good and it was even more fun because Brian was against me eating after you!

7/05/2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

HA HA HA HA!!! I hate that I missed this post the other day. I'm almost a week late. :(

Brian's face. I think it was worse when Eddo finished your burger, but almost as bad.

I wanna go to Snuffer's with you and Aim Claim. Wait for me to get back from Scotland!! :)

FP night was so fun!

Waddup back to ya!

7/05/2006 5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home