Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Happy Thoughts and Fortune Cookies

So I'm a sucker for fortune cookies. First, they are great cookies, not too sweet. They are also kitschy enough to make them worthwhile. I like reading the fortune too and collecting them.

I'm also stuck on Happy Thoughts calendars. This traces back to my summers at kamp when the leadership staff would gather round and read off the happy thoughts for the day (and make a few alterations to personalize them for kamp life).

For the last few months I've been carrying a fortune around in my wallet. Funny how a little slip of paper you find stuffed in a cookie can bring a smile to your face everytime you reach for your liscense. And then today as I read through my happy thoughts for the last few days (I've been out of town) I came across a good one that made me smile.

Now I'm not saying that fortune cookies or happy thoughts calenders are prophetic but I'm all for the little cheering section they offer me as I go through life. And at this point I'm looking for encouragement in unlikely places for the new steps ahead.

Fortune: This summer you will dance to a different beat
Happy Thought: The courage to make a big change

8 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

hmmmm... very interesting. Now all you need is a magic 8 ball and you will have a trifecta of prophecy to go by!

7/05/2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Okay, so the time before the last time I had Chinese food, I got two fortunes inside my fortune cookie. Then, the last time I had Chinese food, my fortune cookie was empty. Coincidence?...I think not!

P.S. I will now be FOURTH, F-O-R-T-H, just to annoy you. Whoa is the day you make your next spelling mistake! :P

7/05/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Right...scratch that.

I will now be SPELLING "fourth", F-O-R-T-H, just to annoy you.

I hate it when you screw up trying to make a point. Humph!

7/05/2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted K-T. Because that pile of fried food was going to make me sick if I had to look at it another second! I know you said they were good, but GEEESH!!! 40% of our appetitite is visual! Fried pickles just don't do it for me in the looks department!

Love fortune cookies! Love happy thoughts.

In fact, I am compounding happy thoughts with some prayers for your life and sending them right this minute. ;-)

7/05/2006 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, but how long have you had that fortune in your wallet? How do we know that it wasn't last summer that you were dancing to a different beat?

7/05/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

My dear Jes, may I direct your attention to the following: "For the last few months I've been carrying a fortune around in my wallet." Please note the specific words "few months", that being more than a couple (2) and less than a handful (6) . . . . I got the fortune in Feb or March at PeiWei on a dinner and movie Bianca extravaganza.

thankyouverymuchthemanagement

7/05/2006 5:52 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

My favorite fortune cookie:

"Help! I'm stuck in a fortune cookie factory!"

7/05/2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

ohhhhh... I think there is more of a sign in the fact that you carried it around than in you getting it... watch out change! here katie comes!

7/06/2006 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home