Friday, March 11, 2005

Anticipation and Hiatus

As I think back to my school days, which seem so long ago (when did becoming a real adult mean that things for not so long ago seem like they occurred in a different life?) I remember the anticipation that came with an impending Spring Break. The excitement, the freedom, the lack of homework or responsibility. Spring Break was synonymous with freedom, all out youth freedom. And now as I look forward to another spring break I realize that it does not offer the same sweet taste as it once did. I look at this coming week off as the time to catch up on all the things that have fallen through the cracks. Things I need to do:

Clean my house – not the spot cleaning I do when I know someone is coming over, real cleaning including mop buckets, brooms, bleach products, etc.;

Wash my car – my previous white car now looks like a gradation of grays rising from the bottom to the top, which in case you were wondering is not an attractive color for a car;

Switch out my closet – I’m a girl so of course I have season’s of clothes and since my closet is the size of a port-a-potty I must store those clothes that are out of season under my bed, so now I get to transfer my winter clothes to the black hole of under my bed and resurrect my spring/summer attire. And because of the stinking ground hog I need to keep those transitional clothes that are good for those last few cold days that will haunt the rest of this month.

Remove the shanty town of boxes that have accumulated in my small house – our trash pickup requires that everything fit in a trash bag and then in the plastic trash container provided by the city, unfortunately, neither of these are large enough to fit the small apartment complex of cardboard box houses I have filling my living room and kitchen.

Take all my “give away” stuff to a good place to give it away – I have been gathering all those things that you have but don’t need or use – space taker uppers, and I have very responsibly boxed and bagged them up but that is about the extent of my responsibility. They are now gathered at my front door waiting to be given away.

Read – I have about five books that I have started and not finished. I might actually have to start some of them over. These books cover so many topics that my mind is having a hard time switching from one to the other.

BSF – I have a few, ok more than a few lessons that I have not completed. Shhh don’t tell anyone. I want to do them, I enjoy them, so I’m thinking this week would be a great time to catch up on my backlog.

Movie marathon – I’ve wanted to have a Lord of the Rings extended edition marathon ever since I completed my collection and now I have the time. So I’m thinking I may hole myself up on my couch with every essential in reach and watch the entire trilogy in one sitting (bathroom breaks allowed). I realize that this may cause many of you to assume that I am a nerd or geek of sorts and while I do embrace my nerdiness I want to assure you that I will not be sporting fun elvin ears or a any special costumes for this marathon. I am a normal person who enjoys a wonderful movie and story. There is nothing wrong with that. Got that people.

Educate theeself – I’m considering going back to college to get my masters. Therefore I need to start investigating what all that will include and what I need to do to make this plan come true. So I need to get in my car and go down to Dallas and stop procrastinating.

Exercise – Real exercise, not running up and down hallways in my heels but getting out and walking, riding a bike, doing something that includes both physical effort and also moving beyond my dual areas of existence (my home and my work). I think I may try to go walking at our nearby lake, get out and explore. I’ll have to think about what I want to do.

Explore – I live next to two amazing cities – Dallas and Ft. Worth. This means that there is an entire world of things that I’ve most likely never taken advantage of. I want to go and explore – museums, parks, historic areas, etc.

And last . . . . .

RELAX – not the fake relaxing I do during the weekends the real relaxing: sitting on my deck with a good book and a glass of ice tea, taking a nap whenever I feel like it, vegging.

So I will try and blog when I get a chance but I don’t have a computer at home, nor do I have internet so that means a trip to work but I will try and check in and let you know any interesting things that happen.

Katie out.

3 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

kt, with all the plans you have listed, i'm not sure you have time to relax!! of course, some of the plans, like reading or watching movies, will help you relax, so maybe i'm wrong.

i totally don't think you're a nerd for wanting to watch LOTR back to back. one, because only us nerds know what LOTR stands for. two, because last year Roger and I camped out in Shreveport to get good seats for the LOTR Trilogy Tuesday and then sat in a movie theater for 13 hours watching all three movies, and three because my sweet husband spent the entire day on President's Day, which he had off work, watching the movie.

Personally, i thought it was cute. so i think that you're cute, too! :)

3/11/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jessica you sat in a movie theater for 13 hours. Where you drugged, bound, what becasue I know you grow restless in a 2 hour movie. What you will do for love.

3/11/2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my site! Have a great Spring break... find time to sleep a little too... lol. ;)

3/14/2005 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home