Thursday, March 03, 2005

It'll do pig, it'll do

Oh I forgot my most memorable part of our trip to the mountains for hiking. We weren’t even out of Texas yet, but I really don’t consider the panhandle Texas, it might as well be annexed by Oklahoma into that wasteland of non-scenic routes. But then of course Texas would loose our bragging rights for being the biggest state. Now I know you think I failed geography and don’t realize that Alaska is a bigger state, but in my reality we are talking about biggest real states. Alaska is really just our own little part of Canada we conquered and rose up our flag on. How many people actually live there anyways? Wait I’ll check on my trust google. I love google, google is my best friend. It lets me know all the information I want, it is excited that I want to learn all this useless knowledge, it feeds my knowledge addiction, and it doesn’t talk back when I yell at it for not giving me the information I want in the order I want it. Ok hold on I’m off to google. I’m back. Ok as of the 2000 census the total population of Alaska is 626,932, ok the estimate for 2003 (since we want reliable and recent stats) is 648,818. That’s it folks. The total population of Dallas, Texas is 1,188,580 in the 2000 census. That is almost twice the population of the 2003 estimate. People Dallas has more people than Alaska. Thus my reality is not only plausible but in fact correct.

Now that you have been edumacated about Alaska, Texas and the biggest state war I will continue with my story.

So we are in small town Texas in the panhandle and we pull into a gas station and what do my eyes behold but the perfect photo opportunity. There right in front of me was a motel. But not just any motel, it was the “It’ll Do Motel”. Now that is some cracker jack marketing there. Sometimes you want a luxury motel, sometimes you want a convenient motel, and some times you want a cheap motel, but let’s admit it people there are those moments when we just want a motel that will do.

I loved this motel, I wanted to buy this motel, or at least take a picture of this motel. So I stumbled out of the van (we left at like 10 p.m. and had been on the road for a while now so it was fairly late and I think I had dozed off at some point). So I stumble out with my camera trying to get just the right framing of the motel and what comes my way but a police officer in his nice shiny squad car. Try explaining to a police man why you are stumbling out of an 18 passenger van in the middle of the night in the middle of the panhandle in front of a sketchy gas station and trying to take a picture in the pitch blackness of a motel sign. Somehow I pulled it off and got my picture and if I had a scanner or a digital camera I would post it but just picture in your mind: west Texas, small town, run down gas station, sketchy looking motel and a sign on the side of it that says “It’ll Do Motel”.

11 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

or, just look here

3/03/2005 2:02 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wha? How? Where? Are you trying to steal my blog story thunder. Watch it ferris. Yes that is what it looks like during the day but at night it is a whole other experience. My picture is grainy and shows the pitchdarkness of the night as well as being a little bit off and tilted as I was trying to take it while getting questioned by the nice policeman.

3/03/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

yes, i remember seeing the photo. and your story made me laugh.

i just thought i would help your readers visualize what you saw.

if you want night-time, and a little crooked, maybe this will work?

3/03/2005 2:51 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

nice try. You are making an effort but it looses the atmosphere of the surroundings but i appreciate the thought.

3/03/2005 2:57 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

and of course by looses I meant loses like I saw on one of our white boards at school "Kyle is a looser". Now is that an insult or some sort of talent?

3/03/2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

haha. i tried, katie.

jessica is a looser, too.

3/03/2005 3:55 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

ssg, it's interesting that you ask kt about her title, b/c i was just re-reading her title when the word "officer" caught my eye, and i was going to leave a comment asking the same thing: if "pig" was in reference to the police man or if it was just a random word she threw in there...

so, kt, which is it?

3/04/2005 10:50 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

So my attempt at a funny pun in relation to a cute movie was not understood by my readers. That'll do pig, that'll do is from Babe (which I expect everyone to have seen because talking animals, especially pigs are the utmost in cinematic grandeur). So I was trying to draw a conclusion between That’ll (or It’ll) do Motel and That’ll do pig. I don’t like referring to police officers at pigs, in fact I have the utmost respect for our law enforcement officers, and the fire department, and the military, and any other person who willingly puts themselves in harms way to guarantee my freedoms and my safety. So the pig went with the motel and the police officer was just a nice guy making sure I wasn’t a little inebriated.

3/04/2005 10:59 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

i, on the other hand, didn't see the movie and didn't catch the reference.

i apologize for my lack of children and G-rated movie watching experiences. :)

3/04/2005 12:03 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh my word this post has taken a left turn at reality and skidded off into crazy world. Just to clarify, I was never in the motel, how can you be in a motel, is it mo for a reason, drive up rooms, and I was sleepy not inebriated. And just so you know my skirts are always a nice tasteful length.

3/04/2005 12:39 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

it's okay, kt. crazy world is fun!

3/04/2005 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home