Monday, January 12, 2009

Merry-go-round

As a kid I always love the merry-go-round, maybe it was due to my aversion to roller coasters. The bright lights and fancy horses draw you in to a magical world of sight and sounds. Up, down, up, down, round and round you go. The music plays and the lights flash and there you go up and down, round and round.

But the problem with a merry-go-round is that you end up right back where you started. For with all the distance you travelled on your mighty steed, you've only gone in a circle. So much time, so much perceived distance but really it's a joy ride to the same place you've always been.

Life feels like that at times. I'm entranced by the lights and sounds, the pretty colors and the rush of the crowd. So I climb on my horse ready for an adventure or journey, only to end up going up and down and round and round. And for all the distance I travel and time I spend, I'm back at the same place I started.

What if there was a way to take my horse out into the open? To break free like that scene in Mary Poppins. No more up and down, round and round, but a full on sprint into the world.

What would life be like if it wasn't lived on a merry-go-round but in a freedom induced run into the world, spending all your time going somewhere, anywhere, and ending up in a different place than you started?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But at some point you have to go back to where you started. It's where you left your car. ;)

1/13/2009 9:07 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I got sick on a merry- go - round when I was in 9th grade... We were in this tub that spun around and I vomited into a garbage bucket... Not a big fan of merry-go-rounds. ;)

1/14/2009 6:53 PM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

I like this post a lot. Like the word picture. Read The Traveler?

1/30/2009 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you just where you are. You are always spinning around like a crazy person but I still love you wherever you wind up and all along the way. I even know all your secrets and still love you.

3/02/2009 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home