Tuesday, September 16, 2008

In shock

Below is a picture, post-Ike, of the coastal town of our family's beach cabins - Canal City. Devastation isn't really the right word to describe that there is ONE home left standing from a neighborhood of dozens. It's a bit surreal to think this beach house, built by my grandfather and his buddies over 50 years ago, was obliterated by wind and water.

The comforting thing is that I know all the many memories I have of this beach house and time there with my family there can't be taken away by a hurricane.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your family still owns the land, right? So maybe you can carry on the tradition and re-build on the same site.

9/16/2008 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I saw that pic in the paper yesterday and couldn't believe the one house still standing.

I am sorry for your loss, but as you said your memories cannot be washed away.

9/16/2008 6:55 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Wow.

(no words)

9/18/2008 2:02 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Yikes! Good thing you weren't in it.

9/21/2008 4:17 PM  
Blogger TJ Wilson said...

Katie I am so, so sorry. I hear about this (your family's place) and have been wanting to let you know we were sad to hear the news. You are dear -

10/09/2008 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home