Tuesday, November 04, 2008

It's like Christmas

I just wrote an email to the group leader for my weekly Bible study in which I explained to her that I was going to sneak out early so I can watch election results. Yep, I'm a nerd.

Her reply included the party line by the large group leader about polls not closing until 9, and I already voted so I couldn't change anything, and yada, yada, yada. She then mentioned that she thought of me during that whole discussion and how I had skipped out early on the same Bible study years ago to catch the end of the State of the Union (did I mention I'm a nerd?) So I responded with my ever growing rebellious tone that I'm a freak when it comes to politics and governement and Election Day is like Christmas to me and I had no problem skipping out early on Bible study no less.

Seriously, it doesn't matter that my vote has been cast already or that polls won't close until 9pm CST, I want to watch it all happen! It's like opening Christmas presents, most of the fun is in unwrapping them and being surprised. I want to listen to the commentators talk about exit polls and put up precinct reports. I want to watch as the states turn from gray to blue or red. In fact, if I would have planned better I would have made my own electoral college counter with a big map of the US and a state cut-out in red and blue that I could then tap to my wall. I would tally the electoral college points and tally after each state was called.

This is my holiday people and I want to celebrate it my way.

So if you haven't, go out and cast your vote. Do it now, do it because you can, do it because someone actually gave their life so that you had the freedom to have your voice heard and counted. And then, when you're done, you can come and sit on my couch with me and watch the results come in.

3 Comments:

Blogger kelli said...

what a crazy night it was, i have never been so excited about election results before, no matter who people voted for i cant imagine them not being moved by the monumental event that occured last night.

11/05/2008 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a freak, but I would've totally eaten ice cream and watched the results with you on your couch
~C

11/05/2008 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was truly a monumental event in my life also. I was so moved and happy about the event that I sobbed when the results were announced. You see I believe with all of my heart that our great country has elected an honest, caring, daring leader - one that we all can admire, be inspired by, love and follow.
In addition, now in my lifetime - I've run the full gamut. I was 11 in 1965 when the Civil Rights bill was passed; in the late 60's - early 70's I was an active participant of forced integration - I might add that we as teenagers didn't understand why some adults were concerned about it - we embraced each other as equals and had a ball.
Now - I'm so proud to say that my newly elected President (and my boss) is 1/2 black and 1/2 white.
What a wonderful country we live in - that the words of the great Martin Luther King, Jr. have finally come true - that one day a person would be judged by their character and not the color of their skin.
Please pray for our country and our new President. Please do your part as a member of our great family - the United States of America. President Obama can not carry the burden alone - he needs and desires each one of us to do our own part.
Help your neighbor - extend your hand...even if only in a small way.
God Bless America!!

12/23/2008 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home