Monday, April 02, 2007

Success

It's a bit of a blow to your confidence when children begin crying the moment they see you. Many of our kiddos in children's ministry associate me with the dreaded event of their parents leaving for an hour and so the waterworks begin as soon as they see me.

My goal has been to stop the tears and save my self-esteem. This Sunday marked a moment of success. One of our sweet toddlers who gives me the look of death and immediately bursts into tears while whimpering "go, go, go" (for go home) every time she sees me on Sunday morning turned a corner. When I dropped into her room to check on another toddler she came up to me, lifted her sweet little arms and wanted me to pick her up and play with her. I'll admit my heat jumped and I probably got the biggest smile on my face.

SUCCESS SWEET SUCCESS

One down just a dozen more to go.

10 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

See... you aren't all bad.

;)

4/02/2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

oh, yea! That's so much better than the crying. Especially because, what do you say if a parent sees the crying? "Oh, I didn't do anything--all the children cry when they see me."

Yeah, there's no good way to explain it.

4/02/2007 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little ones are so much fun! They always seem to know when you need a hug.

4/02/2007 12:42 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I know that feeling. Cody's niece Halli is always frightened of me. Just last weekend she finally let me hold her without throwing a huge fit. I was elated.

4/02/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Awesome! It always makes me feel better when one of the kids (especially one that doesn't know me very well) seems to accept me and doesn't hide when I speak to them...lol.

4/02/2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Thank you for sharing that.
That is one side of children's ministry I hadn't given much thought to.

Thanks for opening my eyes to how blessed I am to be the guy that the kids are chanting for and waiting for to come bounding in with that week's lesson.

Being Alpha Dude is a lot of fun, but now, thanks to you, I will appreciate the honor a little bit more.

Blessings to you.

4/02/2007 9:25 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Thanks to JLR and RR, I now have a different perspective when it comes to "turning a corner". :P

4/02/2007 11:55 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

P.S. As a general rule, children under 2 cry just at the mere sight of me. Well, except for my next door neighbor's grandkids. They like my dogs, so they don't cry unless I fail to produce the wiggly, black and white fluff balls...

4/02/2007 11:57 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

kids...children are the toughest critics because they havent acquired tact yet. But one small victory for you is great. Congrats. Soon you'll win them all over.

4/03/2007 8:08 AM  
Blogger spaghettipie said...

So I'm thinking that was one of two kids...and most likely mine. If so, maybe that little trip to the church office helped. :) Glad you've been accepted onto the "in" list.

4/04/2007 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home