Monday, March 12, 2007

Remember that time . . .

That I went to Walmart at 4 am in search of some Oragel and passed out in the check out line?

Scary? Yes.

A little but funny? Sure.

So here's the back story. I had a slight toothache on Thursday afternoon, nothing that a few advil couldn't handle. But as the night wore on it became full-blown whole mouth on fire type pain. And of course I start thinking about that scene in Castaway, you know the one, with the ice skate. Oh boy. After hours of self-medication and my attempt to just numb my face with ice I went out into the night in search of something that would actually just numb the pain away. Unfortunately there isn't much open 24 hours around my place so after a bit of driving around I headed for the nearest Wally-world.

I've realized that when I'm in pain all attempts at rational thinking are just a waste of time. I was a girl on a mission as I trodded through that Walmart in search of the tooth ache remedies. Also on my mind was my little adventure with an abscessed tooth on a hiking trip a few years back when my face swelled up so much I couldn't open my right eye (this is where you lose all sense of vanity of course).

Finally I found the Oragel and went in search of some ice cream, which served a two-fold process: 1. Cold and on my tooth equals good, 2. I'm in pain so I deserve ice cream (rational thinking for a woman at all times, trust me). With these two in hand I head to the lone check out stand where a nice girl was training (at 4 am?) and her current customer was having some difficulty getting her check to go through. Was I impatient? yes, but more in pain than anything. And as I stood there I felt an overwhelming sense of heat overcome me and the black curtain began to slowly close in on my field of vision. Of course being hard headed I just told myself to calm down and breathe. Hmmmm, that didn't work so well and next thing I know I'm laying on the ground with the checkers and customer leaning over me asking me if I was ok.

After calling in a code 81 (I think) which in my imagination means "Shopper down, SHOPPER DOWN" the manager appeared and offered to call an ambulance for me. Have I mentioned I'm hard headed? I politely refused (yep, even after passing out I still try to be polite) and not wanting to ruin anybody else's night I also refused to have them call someone for me (insert the anger of my family here - I know, I know I'll do it differently next time). About 20 minutes later after drinking a lot of water I felt back to normal, paid for my purchases, and drove the 5 miles home.

A quick visit to the dentist on Friday provided me with antibiotics and some good pain meds and I'm off today to have my tooth duly dealt with.

Happy Monday everyone.

8 Comments:

Blogger RosieBoo said...

Man, I feel for ya. I think a toothache is the worse pain in the world. And, to be bad enough to pass out, now that's bad. I hope your tooth is fixed toot sweet!

3/12/2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger spaghettipie said...

Crazy girl. I think you do deserve the beyond the "appearance" of crazy. I don't live far. I don't sleep much. You should call next time. Or better yet, just have Peter pull all of your teeth and then you won't have to worry about it again.

3/12/2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. Katie, am I a horrible friend for laughing? BUT I'M LAUGHING WITH YOU.

You know my heart.

(And as black and tarry as it is, it's a miracle you still love me!)

(Uh, you still love me, right? Right?)

3/12/2007 3:10 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Yowza! That is frightening and tooth aches are the worst. Sorry it was so miserable, but glad you are still alive!

3/12/2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Wait. So this just happened LAST Thursday night/Fridy morning? Oh, my! How awful!

Next time you can totally call me. True, you don't know me and I live all the way in Dallas, but I'll help out! Especially if it means you don't have to drive and/or pass out at some mid-city Wal-Mart!

3/12/2007 3:50 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"Shopper down... SHOPPER DOWN!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Classic.

3/13/2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Ouch, toothaches are never fun.

What flavor of ice cream did you buy?? (always important information)

3/13/2007 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh katie!!! OUCH!!!!

3/13/2007 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home