Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Identity

We are only as intimate with God as we allow ourselves to be.

I read that idea in a book recently and it struck me.

The God who made me . . . . . .

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139: 13-16

The God who saved me . . . . . .

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16

The God who lives inside of me . . . . . .

. . . so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God.
Ephesians 3:17-19

The God who knows my thoughts . . . . . .

You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
Psalm 139:3-4

The God who is over all things . . . . . .

That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
Ephesians 1:19b-23


This God allows our relationship to be determined by us, at least the width and depth of our relationship. God’s already intimate with us. He created us, He redeemed us, He knows our thoughts, He watches our paths, He waits for the day when we will be in His presence, and yet are we intimate with God?

The burden of our intimacy is on us.

The burden of our identity is on us.

Just something I’ve been thinking about.

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I am convicted by these words. Partly because I only let people see what I want them to see... but God sees everything... you can hide anything. What's stopping us from being intimate with Him? He knows everything anyway.

Challenging.

9/27/2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

can't hide anything.

You knew what I meant.

9/27/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

And now we're thinking about it,thanks to you.

How's my ridiculously shiny haired friend?

9/27/2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Deep, and absolutely right on the money. Just one of the many reasons why I love my friend, "Katie-pants".

I miss you, friend.

9/27/2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Scripture really speaks to you, doesn't it.

I envy that, in a way. I suppose when I read scripture, my eyes start glazing over a bit, though why, I do not know. I wish I got it better than I do. Sometimes little verses will pop out at me and speak, but it seems like God tends to speak more to be through nature than reading ... which is weird, because I'm a bit of a writer myself. Do you think that scripture is supposed to speak to us all deeply, or do we hear God in different ways?

9/27/2006 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME, Katie!

9/28/2006 10:42 AM  
Blogger James said...

Really good thoughts. Funny, I was penning a new song a few weeks ago along the same lines, based on Psalm 139, and I was reading The Message translation. The line "You even see me in the dark" just stood out to me. No matter how far we run, or where we think we can go and hide, God is always there waiting for us. Someone once said to me "If you feel distant from God, take a guess at who moved away." How true...

9/29/2006 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home