Friday, September 22, 2006

Because . . . .

“Because it’s what Jesus would friggin do.” – Izzie, Grey’s Anatomy

Now I don’t often look for honest representations of the struggles of the Christian life on television, because as hard as you might look you’re often going to come up empty. And yet, there are those moments when pop culture stumbles upon a pretty honest representation of this thing we call life.

Take for instance the scene in which this line is yelled. For those of you who haven’t turned on a TV in the last two years, Grey’s Anatomy is a show about surgical interns in a hospital. It has all the makings of a popular show: drama, relationships, medical jargon, and lots of witty comebacks. In this specific scene one of the interns, Izzie, is helping another intern, Alex, study for his boards (doctor exams). The kicker is that Alex has recently cheated on Izzie and therefore she is understandably upset with him. All the other interns have been helping him behind her back, because, as Meredith, another intern, says, that is what you do when someone is in need, you help. And when Alex asks why she is helping him, she replies with this perfectly honest line.

So now that you’re caught up on the setting, let me tell you why I think this line is so real. In all honesty, it’s because there have been many times when I’ve wanted to yell the exact same thing, maybe not to anyone in particular but to myself .

Later in the scene you see Izzie crying, breaking under the weight of the pain that Alex has caused her and yet she stays, helping him. She looks beyond the pain he caused her, beyond the anger and hurt she feels, to reach out and help him because he is in need and because, as she so eloquently put it, “it’s what Jesus would do.”

Maybe I’m not far enough down the line of spiritual maturity to approach those moments in life when you really do have to exhibit a Christ-like character with joy and submission. For me, it’s sometimes little more than a knowledge of what I should do, but not at all what I want to do. Being like Christ isn’t easy. Heck, take a look at His life and tell me it was an easy one. No one signing up to walk the path that He walked is in for a jaunt skipping through fields of daisies. And much more, we’re asked to live a life that goes against everything in ourselves: selfishness, pride, retribution, anger.

And so I found myself watching this scene and realizing that somehow in the midst of the humor and tenderness these writers stumbled upon a truth in my life. There are moments when I don’t want to be like Christ, when I don’t want to love someone who has hurt me, to serve someone who has treated me badly, times when it hurts so much to do these very things. And yet, I find myself in the midst of doing what I can’t comprehend screaming “because it’s what Jesus would friggin do” through my tears and pain.

6 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

I find myself cringing at the WWJD thang at times. It sounds great and looks good on paper (and leather braclets) but the truth is I struggle with it. There are times when I dont want to be Christlike... I want to revel in my roadrage!! Its a part of us... frustrating... but what we have to strive for

9/22/2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

It's encouraging that the writers included this scene.

9/22/2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

It shows your heart Katie... through the tears and pain... and although it is tearing you apart inside... you still do it even though you don't want to.

That can only be credited to you as righteousness... even though you don't want to do it at the time.

9/22/2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

First of all, let me just say... I LOVE GREY'S ANATOMY!!! it makes my week and I am so excited that it is back on.

Ok, now secondly. I saw that your post was on Grey's anatomy, and so I got really excited because I figured you were going to discuss this most latest and greatest episode. I couldn't for the life of me remember Izzy saying a WWJD type phrase on Thursday??? Then I realized... you were re-running it! haha! I love that episode too!

You can post on Grey's anatomy any time KT, I will love it!

9/23/2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Amen! Being Christ-like is so hard sometimes, but you are right, if we are to die to ourselves and live like Christ then sometimes we have to do what doesn't come naturally. Great post.

I am loving Grey's Anatomoy already and I am so glad it is on Thursday night as that is a much better night for me!

9/25/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Way to make it real K-T.

9/25/2006 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home