Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Oh how I forget

Have you ever had that moment in time when you reawaken to a truth that you have always known but have somehow forgotten?

I often do. I’m not sure if that means that I doubt too much, if I question too often, or if I just don’t hold fast to truths that are absolute even in the face of such uncertainty.

That’s the best part of a truth; it isn’t ever swayed by circumstances.

A truth is rooted deep in itself. It isn’t dependent on anyone or anything. It just is. Truth is not determined by the times, by the culture, by the laws, by anything really. Truth stands on its own, firm and solid in the whirlwind of our lives. And yet truth isn’t showy. It’s often quiet and unassuming, standing in the darkened corners of life. It doesn’t seek to be in the forefront or demand constant attention. Truth is secure in itself because it is truth, it is never changing. The value of it isn’t determined by the one who holds it, or by the importance placed on it by the one who possesses it. Truth is never absent. It doesn’t move in and out of our lives, instead remaining constantly.

And yet my view of truth, the worth that I give it in my life is very much elastic. I accept truth, I store it away, I even give it a great place of value, and yet there is stays, tucked away in my mind or heart, never claimed, never triumphed, never treasured as it should be. My attention, my thoughts, they focus on the things of this life that are changing, that are important in the moment. So often truth gets lost in the mix of life, deferred by the immediate, overshadowed by the overwhelming, hidden by the conspicuous, and traded for the captivating lie.

And yet, those moments come when suddenly you feel like you’ve reclaimed something so valuable that you wonder how you ever overlooked it. This discovery is so much more treasured, because you are redeeming something that you’ve always possessed. Truth is like that, we hold on to it, we tuck it away, and when we remember it again we are often struck by it all the more.

I have the two verses tacked up to my computer screen as a reminder of not only who my God is, but who I am in Him. What great truth to redeem in my life.

The LORD will accomplish what concerns me;
Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.
Psalm 138:8

You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Psalm 16:11

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Cool.

I like Psalms 138:8

Don't remember ever reading that verse.


"I accept truth, I store it away, I even give it a great place of value, and yet there is stays, tucked away in my mind or heart, never claimed, never triumphed, never treasured as it should be."

Wonder why we do that?

9/20/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I love your nuggets of wisdom. I love that you can encourage me one minute and make me laugh out loud at your "boy buns" comment.

You are a great friend K-T.

9/20/2006 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure those are both comforting in light of your present work/home conundrum.

9/20/2006 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!

9/20/2006 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie, Long time no talkie I also do enjoy your "Nuggets" of wisdom so glad to see you are all still faithfully bloggin for the Lord

Logan

9/21/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

It is comforting to know that truth is objective and constant -- an anchor.

9/21/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

hey logan, mr. married man, hope things are well up there in oregon

9/22/2006 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home