Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Formerly known as my house, now will be referred to as an obstacle course

I'm moving.

This means that I must pack.

I hate packing.

One aspect of my move is that it will be temporary with no set time frame. This means that other than those things that I use on a day to day basis, everything else must be packed for storage.

One good thing about packing is that it lets you re-evaluate the necessity of the junk you have accumulated over time. One bad thing about packing is that you must confront said junk when you pull it from the deep recesses of closets, cubbies, and other such places that junk likes to congregate while it plans for its attempt at world domination.

This means that my house is now a level five obstacle course that tests not only my limberness but also my ingenuity (and my falling skills – those are always being tested).

Case in point:

I needed to iron a skirt this morning. My ironing board was buried behind boxes, plastic tubs, and some furniture.

Step #1 - Bend here, rotate there, streeeeeeech, and I got it out of its prison
Step #2 - Find a place to actually set up an ironing board
Step #3 - Contemplated ironing on my coffee table – nixed idea when realized that coffee table was staging area for packing
Step #4 - Contemplated if the wrinkled look was a trendy type of professional dress
Step #5 – Finally Set up board in corner by nudging the legs securely between boxes
Step #6 – Kneel on bed to iron
Step #7 – Thankful for "monkey arms" and the reach they provide
Step #8 – Mission complete
Step #9 – cursing the steps to replace board in prior location as current one limits access to sleeping area
Step #10 – cursing packing

That was at least a successful endeavor. I won’t share with you how I fell off the top of the ladder and threw a heavy mirror/shelf across the room. That was fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lorie said...

Where are you moving?

Be careful in there!

9/26/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I feel your pain, Katie! I'm beginning that process myself, and well, I've already shared my falling stories so we know that funny stories will be coming shortly. :)

9/26/2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

May your move go easy and may you not keep falling down and breaking things.

9/26/2006 2:24 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

NO... please tell how you fell off the ladder...

We must know.

9/26/2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

There's a whole lot of cursing going on at K-T's place. I can hear it all the way over here!

9/26/2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I HATE MOVING!!! Good thing it is over. I didn't even know you moved this weekend... I feel like a bad friend :( We'll talk more Fri.

10/05/2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

ps. No internet at work and my computer's MOTHER BOARD was zapped by the lighting storm last week :( I miss you!

10/05/2006 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home