Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Neither Here nor There

“Why are we here?”

Yesterday I posed this questions (read: I stole the idea from wise Tony over at Don’t Call Me Veronica) along with “How do you know that?”.

As I thought about my answer, I realized that “here” can mean many things. Oh there is a general “here”, an overall reason behind our existence. This idea has been debated by theologians, philosophers, and even musicians and poets. But what happens when you move from general to specifics, from grand schemes of reason to applicable moments of action?

“Why are we here?”

What happens when you start to look at all the different “heres”; a period of time, a job, a family, a friendship, or even a chance encounter? What do you do when your “here” takes on emotions, relationships, consequences, and faces? This is when the general moves to the specific, when theory becomes action.

“Why are we here?”

It took me a while to realize that “here” is both general and specific. Purpose isn’t just confined to the grandeur but also includes the minute. And sometimes we find our greatest reasons for being “here” in those tiny moments that slip away so quickly, in those random encounters with others, in the mundane and unremarkable. Sometimes we confirm the all-encompassing purpose by seeing the outworking of the individual moments.

“Why are we here?”

The other thing I struggle with is giving worth to the “here” of now, instead of the “there” of the future. I seem to live my life trapped somewhere in between “here” and “there”, always yearning for the “there” and forsaking the worth of “here”. It is an all too real struggle for me right now, as I wonder where I am supposed to be, what the future holds for me. I strain to see the end destination and yet I miss all the things along the road I’m now on. I’m forsaking the “here” for the “there” and not taking the time to answer the question of “Why are we here?”

So, “Why are you here?”

7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

"I seem to live my life trapped somewhere in between 'here' and 'there', always yearning for the 'there' and forsaking the worth of 'here.'"

Wow. love how this reads and the truth that it states. I think this statement will resound with many of your readers.

It does me.

9/06/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

I am here reading your blog because I value your thoughts and your ability to present questions and in the process have come to value you for who you are as a person and as a sister in Christ. Thank you.

9/06/2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I am here to grow in my walk and relationship with Jesus. I am here to follow Him and to do His will. The only problem is, often I end up following my own will or trying to do things on my own without Him. Need to work on that for sure, so that's why I am here.

9/07/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/07/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I am sitting here (at my desk), because I'm too tired to get up and go over there (to the printer).

Not the point or purpose of your post, mind you, but my brain - despite two cups of very strong coffee - is refusing to work at a speed faster than a dial-up modem circa 1998.

If you were to walk into my office right now, you'd most likely see me face down in a puddle of my own mindless drool. But since you are not here (at least, my version of "here") you are being saved from such an uncomfortable visual.

Don't you love that my "here" will always be your "there"? If we were standing next to each other - I'd always be HERE and you'd be THERE. Even if we were both technically HERE, our version of HERE would still be different. I guess it is all about perspective, which is strange because I’m talking about location – not anything complicated or theoretical.

Okay, my brain just flashed back to Sesame Street, and that fluffy monster running up to the TV screen saying, “NEAR!”, and then running away and yelling, “FAR!”. Obviously, my brain is in meltdown mode. Better stop thinking before my head explodes…

9/07/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I don't mean to laugh, but I just read Deals' comment about Sesame Street and the whole "NEAR!" "FAR!" thing and I remember exactly what they looked like. That's hilarious. I haven't thought about that in like 25 years!

Anyways, back to your post. Yeah, I'm the same way. About so many things. Mainly school right now. I want to be finished b/c I'm ready to be an interpreter NOW! But, I need to enjoy the experience and the ride. College is SO much better this time around. Yea!

9/07/2006 12:20 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

That monster from Sesame Street that did the "near" and "far" routine was none other than my "old loveable " (his words) Grover!

9/07/2006 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home