Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Completely Rational Fear

There are many things in my life that cause me to fear but only one comes to mind that causes my pulse to quicken, sweat to come pouring forth from my body (not glistening mind you, manly amounts of sweat), and my throat to tighten in such a way that breathing becomes almost impossible.

SNAKES

Creepy, crawly, slithering, scary snakes.

I'm not sure when and where this fear came about. In fact as a child I had no problems with snakes. I remember as a tomboy riding my bike to this pond/swamp which was infested with all kinds of snakes and having no fear at all. I also remember a neighbor having a large boa constrictor that I willingly let be placed on my shoulders (not in a trashy britney spears type way but more in a curious fourth grader type way). As a child I also had not problem with the snakatorium (i know there is a different name for this at the zoo but my mind is drawing a blank so my made up name will have to do).

But then, there are those memories of finding a snake in a toilet (TRUE STORY) at a lake house and refusing to use the bathroom for the next two days without someone examining the entire bathroom with a flashlight for a good five minutes before I would proceed (AND I would flush the toilet about 10 times to make sure any snakes who might be hiding in the pipes were ruthlessly flushed into oblivion before I placed my precious hiney on said toilet.) There is also the time that one of our dock daddies at camp came into the office with a snake and shoved it in my face and I proceeded to crawl up on my desk and then under it to escape the evil creature all while crying and reaching mass hysterics (please note: snakes in face cause Katie to react in weird ways). Speaking of camp, there were also the many images of dock daddies and counselor pounding snakes to death in the lake with canoe paddles that created a healthy fear of snakes in the water and made me say a special prayer that God will allow nothing to touch me for fear that I would have a heart attack right there in the lake in front of children.

This fear causes me to sometimes react in a very irrational way. For instance, I was with a group of women doing some thrift store shopping (don’t ask, they’re my “old lady friends” and I am just along for the laughs) when we came across what might have been the largest snake I have seen in the wild. It had to be at least 6 inches in diameter and was just plain scary looking. My friend, who was driving, swerved to run over the snake and I immediately shrieked and pulled my feet into my lap. Why, you ask? Because in my mind the large scary snake has now somehow jumped into the undercarriage of the car and is making its way into the interior to bite and eat me. Irrational? Yes, but still very possible in my mind.

This brings me to the weekend when I went to watch X-Men United with a friend.. There must be some connection between mass-appeal sci-fi and horrors movies because the majority of previews for X-Men were of the horror genre. A good horror doesn’t really scare me all that but my friend, on the other hand, covered her face for all the horror previews. I will fully admit I laughed at her and her small yelps as she would glance at the screen and become more scared. Little did I know that I would soon be doing the same thing because the next preview was for a movie about:

SNAKES

ON A PLANE

I quickly pulled my hoodie up to cover my eyes and drew my legs into my seat, because again I somehow rationalized that snakes could jump from the screen into the dark theater and make their way down the floor to my feet. I knew that it was an irrational reaction but then I began to think of how perfectly sick that would be for someone to sneak snakes into a theater when that movie was playing and release them. Sick, twisted, and yet oh so possible.

And so the fear continues.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the fear. The fear of seeing more than one snake (stay tuned for tomorrow's entry). The fear of seeing your first copperhead in the wild. The fear of lying awake all night long, praying that the snake wouldn't brush up against the tent and bite your face through the nylon.

Fear. Snakes. My skin is still crawling.

5/30/2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

While I am not really scared of snakes... I have always feared lifted up a toilet seat to find a SANKE! YIKES!

5/30/2006 12:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Eeeew! Is THAT what someone would have to look forward to if considering a move to Texas? Eeeew! Usually snakes don't bother me, but the big ones that bite hard enough to pierce the flesh, or the ones that could swallow me whole while I'm sleeping, AND the ones who could squeeze the air and life right out of me if given the opportunity - scare the crap out of me.

On a slightly different note: should we tell everyone Katie, about the time you and I were chatting as you were driving home one night, and how in the middle of our conversation you shriek in pure horror and scream, "Oh my WORD!!! I just ran over an ARMADILLO, and I heard it CRUNCH!!!!"... and then how I burst into an uncontrollable FIT of laughter because... WHO RUNS OVER AN ARMADILLO?!" Yeah. I think we should tell everyone that story too. :)

5/30/2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Stephanie - One thing I can promise you would have to look forward to is the population of armadillos in Texas. They are everywhere and must procreate at the rate of rabbits. Hitting one with your car is a state-wide pastime. AND i did hear it crunch and it was disgusting sounding, because not only did I hit it with one tire but it got a double-smooshing with the first impact of my front driver's side tire and then since I drive in such a straight line it got the back driver's side tire as well. CRUNCH and SMOOSH. UGH, just a nasty sound. Ahhh the joys of living in Texas

5/30/2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I love snakes!!

5/30/2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I'm going to tell on myself here a little bit. First, I love snakes. I think they're pretty and very fascinating. Second, I'm deathly scared of anything that flies... Birds, bees, insects, butterflies...

So yes, here's a girl that loves snakes and is scared of butterflies. How weird is that?

5/30/2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

UGH steve, unfortunatly I know you do and you saw firsthand my aversion to anything slithery

5/30/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

kristi - butterflies? I'm not laughing at you, really I'm not, ok well maybe just a little. Is it the whole flying thing? Around your head? I can understand that.

Oh, and I think snakes are intersting in theory, I'm too much of a nerd to not be facinated by them, but I have no desire to be in their company. In fact, I will not step foot into the snakatorium (again using my own word) unless I am dying of heat (why is that the ONLY building at a zoo that is air conditioned) and then if I do I look at the ground the entire time.

5/30/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Snakes -- I can take 'em or leave 'em. But I fear and tremble at the sight or thought of hairy spiders.

I too saw X-Men 3 this weekend. Nice little escapist summer blockbuster, I thought. And yes, I saw the Snakes On A Plane preview. What a title.

5/30/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

hairy spiders? so a spider suffering from male-pattern baldness strikes no fear in you?

Well if you saw the preview then I will tell you that as soon as the word "snakes" appeared on the screen my eyes were shut. And yes, some genius who is paid much more than the rest of us came up with that name . . . I'm thinking Oscar quality flick there.

5/30/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ha ha Kristen, but I'm not the one that supposedly got attacked by a horse, that is you

5/30/2006 2:39 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I don't mind snakes at all. I used to try to catch them when I was little in a pond - and I did catch quite a few of them.

On a somewhat different note...

I heard that Samuel L. Jackson signed up for this movie just because he thought it had a cool title. He was like, "Snakes on a Plane? That's cool!"

5/30/2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Craig Schwarze said...

That is *such* a good idea for a prank...

5/30/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I really like snakes. But I don't like them when I'm in the lake and they swim up next to you. Don't like that at all. When I swim around the island at camp in Tennessee, I thrash around madly when I'm swimming through the plankton and snake-infested side of the island. THAT creeps me out.

Brian and I saw X-Men United this weekend too and saw the Snakes on a Plane preview. We laughed at the absurdity!!

5/30/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

shrieked and pulled my feet into my lap

We regularly take our niece Mindy to a beach about 40 minutes from here. Several years ago, we girls went to meet Rob there after he got out of work and on the way, ran over a gigantic snake. We were in a marshy area but I didn't think Michigan HAD snakes like the one you described.

Anyway, the snake may have been dead already, but that didn't stop me from sitting indian-style the rest of the trip. I also turned on the floor-light so I could see if that snake made its way up through the wheel-well and down onto my toes.

A few months back, we were driving home from somewhere and Mindy was with us. We went by that same spot where I ran over the snake and with gleaming eyes yelled, "SNAKE AUNT JAYLEIGH!!!!" I yanked my feet up and screamed and shivered.

Score one for Mindy.

BLEHH!!!

5/30/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Craigs NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

snakes in a movie theater is just wrong, SO WRONG

5/31/2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

There is a movie about Snakes on a plane?

Hm.

I can handle snakes... cause all we have are gartner snakes up here... but bats... they scare the crap out of me... so if it is a move about bats on a plane... that would be spooky.

6/02/2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home