Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ugh

I hate goodbyes.

Our elementary principal is leaving our school this year, the school she started seven years ago, the school that is built around her heart. It is good thing, a good move for her, but we are all so sad to see her go.

Today was the last day of elementary school and we had a special all school chapel. At the end every elementary student lined up with a flower and a hug for her. Now I'm a sucker for emotional moments, even when the cheesiest song known to this world "Thank you for giving to the Lord" is played in the background, and this moment packed an emotional punch.

There is something about watching 100 children show this woman the impact she's had on their lives. Watching them hug her tightly and tell her they loved them. Watching their younger siblings do the same because even though she wasn't their principal she touched their lives.

So I'm a bit emotional this morning and now I'm off to a picnic at the park. Hopefully a good game of tag will stop the tears from flowing.

The hard part is that she isn't leaving the school until the end of June so I have a whole month and a half to cry over her leaving and deal with the emotional fallout of one of my mentors and a woman I love dearly. She truely is one of my heros.

Ok, enough of the mushy stuff, it's off to the park for some dodgeball and tag with 100 screaming elementary kids.

10 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Sad deal. It remindes me of when Mrs. Beattle left on Little House on the Prairie.

*sniff*

5/11/2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Miss Beattle/Mrs. Sims (yes, I still watch Little House)

What a mentor to have, she's an amazing woman with many talents. Including a wonderful voice and the talent of enjoying foil-wrapped offices. Because not everyone can fully enjoy that.

Enjoy your afternoon!

5/11/2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Miss Beattle... forgot. You are right.

That comment was for you Jcol. I hear you are a huge LHOP fan.

5/11/2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thanks Ben McMinn!! K-T's sharing all my secrets!!

5/11/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

You go to elementary school?!?

From your pics, I thought you'd be older.

5/11/2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Partings between people who mean a lot to each other are sad events.

5/11/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Dude! I LOVE Little House!

And hey! What's wrong with Thank You for giving to the Lord?? That's an awesome song!

Goodbyes are hard, aren't they? But as believers, we have the confidence we will share eternity together!

5/11/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

indeed, transitions in our lives, a time for growth

5/11/2006 11:01 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I really hope Bobby was kidding! =)

Yeah, a hundred screaming kids at the park would definitely put an end to any kind of emotional "moment" I was having!

5/12/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

**hugs**

I love stuff like that... showing gratitude and love to someone who means so much and has put in so much work.

And DODGEBALL! YEAHHH!!!

5/13/2006 8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home