Saturday, December 31, 2005

And hello 2006

Ok let’s take a moment and ponder the fact that it is the year 2006. Really? I don’t think so, because there aren’t any flying cars in my reality and I distinctly drawing a picture of a flying car when I was in first grade as being a reality in the “year 2000” (yes I watch Conan O’Brien and yes I thought that bit was dang funny). And so here we are 6 years after the year 2000 and no flying cars. And you know another thing that never happened, the whole “world’s gonna end” because some programmers from way back when decided to not type two instead of four numbers for the year, so every computer in the world was going to explode and we were going to be living off of bottled water and spam as we sank into a Mad Max type world (ok I may be a bit young in relative terms but I know my not so normal movies). And speaking of Spam, I would like to submit that the whole millennium bug whatever thing was invented as a marketing ploy of Spam’s mother company. Seriously, if I would have thought of it I would have bought stock in that company because you know that in the month of December 1999, Spam saw the best sales jump they will ever experience. And then I ask myself, SPAM? Really? Why not beef jerkey or Vienna sausages? Spam, is what we turned to as sustenance in the case of a global shut down. Really what does that say about us as a people?

But I didn’t bring you all here to talk about flying cars and Spam, although that is a good conversation.

I brought you here to look back on the year I like to call 2005 (you can call it that too if you would like).

So what happened in the year 2005, what set this year apart for me?

Is it sad to say that really nothing of grand substance in my life occurred? There were no new revelations; I am still the same Katie I was when the clock struck 12:00:01 on January 1, 2005. I still work at the same place, I still live in the same place, I’m still single (not that there is anything wrong with that), I’m still involved in the same activities I was involved in last year. Really I’m still me.

But as I really look at things, I realize that there are lots of little changes. Things that might go unnoticed on a countdown, or one of those year in review programs, but things that even in their simplicity and smallness, have changed my life. So I am still me but I’m different, changed, and new.

I’ve lost people that I love. I’ve met new people that I can’t imagine not being a part of my life. I’ve had some rough spots, some growing spots, lots of laughter, and many tears. I’ve taken some wacky road trips. I’ve done some crazy things. I’ve done some heart searching and poured a bit of myself out for the entire world to see. I’ve even rapped.

And in the midst of all of this I have done what I am doing now, I have put all this to paper (or computer if you must be picky) and I’ve published it in a forum where anyone can see it.

When you really stop to think about this, your mind starts to question itself. Did I really tell the world about that? Oh my gosh, is that really up there on the internet? Have I really met people online (ONLINE) and formed friendships, real friendships?

So in honor of the passing away of 2005 I offer you these few things:

The following is not a best of 2005, but more a picture of 2005, a story of this last year though a few basket full of key posts. Sorry I chose so many, but when you post almost everyday you have a lot to choose from. Feel free to read them all, feel free to read none of them.

Untitled

Talking about my America

Like a big baked potatoe

No more products

Life Lesson no. 219

Did you know . . .

Did my womb just leap?

Here comes the rain and its follow up

Dual Citizenship

Scars

Identity

Light and Life

Beauty – because it is good to show that I can be wrong, and while it is hard, I can also admit it

Duede Seriously

Puzzling

Too Funny not to share

Finally – Exploding pumpkins

No Title

Miracle

Love


And in honor of the coming year of 2006 I offer this:

Wishes of joy and blessings for this coming year. None of us know what 2006 holds, and it will likely include struggles for many of us; loss for some of us; newness of birth for others; laughter; tears; and the beginnings of new jobs, friendships, relationships, families. In all of this, through all of this I wish you joy and that you will be blessed on the mountain tops and also in the valleys.

14 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I too am still really the same person I was at the beginning of the year that I am now. However, a new year is upon us and who knows the kind of change that could be in store for any of us...here's to a wonderfully Christ filled new year!

12/31/2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Miss Katie: I look forward to taking a look back on your 2005 with you (when I get a bit of time today :) and laugh, cry, and laugh some more with you. You have such heart, my friend: and one of the things that came out of the year 2005 that I'm so thankful for is my new, wise, beautiful, and insightful "internet friend", Katie.

Thanks for your friendship girl - happy new year!!

12/31/2005 12:26 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Happy New Year, Katie. Be safe. Drink Responsibly.

Seriously though it has been an interesting year, 2005.

I'm glad I found your blog in 2005 and look forward to a great 2006, reading and commenting on your thoughts.

12/31/2005 6:50 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T, my friend K-T. Only He knew that I would have a two-lettered friend in 2005 that I cherish. I look forward to 2006 and all that it holds for us.

Happy New Year my two-lettered friend.

1/01/2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

This was a tough year for a lot of people. It was a year of upheaval and change. But, I'm delighted that we all continue to grow...and grow together.

Happy New Year!!!

1/01/2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

SHUT.UP.

I titled my blog post the same thing - about an hour ago. And now I look here and you have the same title. We are so on the save wave length.

Well, Happy New Year Katie!

1/01/2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

God bless you this New Year K-T! I'm still praying for him to reveal his will for you.

Your posts are always so encouraging and inspiring. I'm glad I've gotten to know you!

((hugs))

1/02/2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I have been by your presence in my life in 2005... you are inspiring and encouraging. Thank you for sharing your heart.

I love getting to catch up on some good posts that I missed before I started reading your blog regularly... good stuff. I loved these:

No Title, Scars, Puzzle

Well written, raw and real!

I love your heart my friend... Happy 2006!

1/02/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

That should have been blessed by your presence... proof read silly!

1/02/2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Best wishes to you for a happy, healthy, wonderful 2006, Katie.

Keep writing, girl.

1/02/2006 5:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh Miss Katie! God bless your heart. I'm grateful to have found you and your groupies to hang with this year. I love your craziness, your make-you-think posts, and the constant back and forth between you and fellow bloggers.

You rock, sistah.

Happy New Year!

1/02/2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Is anyone really the same after they have met "Ben."

Ha! Just Kidding.

Just so you know... I like you the way you are... so it's okay that you are the same person.

By the way... I'm back! ;)

Missed you my friend.

1/02/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

What are you talking about? You mean you don't have a flying car? Girl, you missin' out on 'da bling, bling!


(ahem)

Sorry... I forgot I was Caucasian there for a minute.

1/03/2006 7:12 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

As you saw, I went through your archives this morning and read the posts that you had links to. Very insightful stuff you got there K-T. And fun stuff too. 2005 was a good year, can't wait for your 2006 posts.

Oh, and I saw "Bertha" on Sunday. Her comment to me? "You know WAY too much about me." he he.

1/03/2006 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home