Saturday, December 24, 2005

What child is this?

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Luke 2:10-14

Is there anything more amazing than those words? “Today . . . . a Savior has been born to you, he is Christ the Lord.”

So often I bypass the impact of Christmas for the bang of Easter. I guess in my search for a moment to really solidify the ‘why’ behind my faith, Easter gives the most straightforward answers. This was the commemoration of Christ’s mission, this was His sacrifice, and this was the act that we were to put our faith in for our salvation. But as I ponder faith, what it means, and think about the “who” being more important than the “what”, I realize that Christmas is a celebration of faith.

Think about it, we are celebrating the birth of Jesus, the BIRTH of a sovereign, holy, eternal, perfect Deity. BIRTH. That right there is faith, an amazing act of faith. Because when you think about it, the cross was the culmination of Christ’s work here on earth, but His birth was the inception of that work. He CAME to earth. He took on the form of MAN. Christ, part of the triune God, present at creation, reigning in Heaven at the right hand of the Lord, came to earth as a BABY.

A few posts back I asked people what their definition of faith was, and I came up with one simple word, ‘knowing’. With that definition in mind, then I know this baby; I know He alone will be my answer, my salvation, my life. I don’t even need to know all the miracles He will perform, or the wonderful teachings He will give, or the unconditional love He will show, because all that is wrapped up in this one act that He begins His life on earth with. He is born, as a man, into this earth. God comes down and meets us in ourselves. He comes just as we come into this world, naked, helpless, small, and living mortally in the body of flesh.

Christ could have easily come to earth as a grown man. He could have descended from the clouds in glory and begun His ministry with a bang. Think of the impact, the immediate reaction that would have occurred if Christ would have just appeared on earth and started preaching. But that wasn’t the way that God wanted salvation to come to man. He wanted a Savior that could relate in all ways to those He was saving. God wanted Christ to be fully man, to experience all that man experienced, and to be the perfect substitution for the price of our sin. So Christ came, not as a man but as a baby, as a helpless, innocent, newborn. He was born into this world and He was taken from it by death. He lived as we live.

It isn’t the man at this point, it isn’t the miracles, it isn’t the visible sacrifice. It is a baby, wrapped in cloth, lying in a place of humility, this is where my faith begins, and this is who my faith is placed in.

I wish you all a wonderful Christmas. I pray that you will be filled with the peace and wonder of the celebration of the birth of our Lord. I pray that your faith will abound as you remember that Christ came to earth as a baby, as one of us, as our salvation wrapped in cloth, lying in the arms of His mother, helpless, small, and yet worthy of our faith and our love.

Some of the greatest sermons have been given in this season. Some of the most wonderful words of truth are spoken to commemorate the day that Christ came down to man. And while I could have posted great words by great theologians I decided to go with something much simpler. I hope you take from this the truth that is so humbly given and that it touches your heart in the same way it touches mine.

I found this video on another blog, and unfortunately I closed the window before getting the address so I could properly give credit to the man who made this. So this is a thank you to Mr. Dixon for putting together this little video.

9 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Great post Katie! Thanks so much for the great reminder about what Christmas is all about! Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

12/24/2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

That is a great post & video clip. It definitely gets lost this season with all of the presents, etc what the true meaning of Christmas really is. It's great when Linus can subtly remind us of what we often forget, that Christ came to earth as an innocent child.

Have a Merry Christmas, Katie. Be safe & God Bless.

12/24/2005 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what He wants? He wants us to get down and dirty and spread His Word. Not what is comfortable for us and not to people who already know and believe in Him. It's as easy as the nike slogan....just Do It !! By the way, ignoring something doesn't make it go away.

12/24/2005 10:11 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Merry Christmas, Katie! I hope you have a wonderful holiday - filled with lots and lots of joy, laughter and love!

Okay, back to wrapping presents...

12/24/2005 11:25 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Merry Christmas K-T!! And, true to your word, your blog made me think once again.

12/24/2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wonderful reminder Katie! Have a great Christmas!

12/25/2005 1:23 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

She's back!! Love the post Katie. Jesus is the reason for the season! I loved that video... Charlie Brown is great!

12/26/2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thank you for writing this, Katie. I hope your Christmas day was wonderful.

12/26/2005 8:57 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

All time best Christmas movie clip ever...

12/26/2005 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home