Friday, December 30, 2005

Coming Attractions

Ok I will admit it, I am particular about certain things, call it anal if you wish but particular sounds a bit less obscene. One thing that I happen to be very particular about is movie watching. I like to get to the movies with ample time to select the prime viewing seats and to watch all the previews in their entirety (don’t get me started on the stupid commercials before the previews).

Now previews are an entity that I find quite interesting, a 30 second to 2 minute spot to entice the viewer into shelling out up to $10 to see a movie that might not actually be viewable for up to a year. The preview serves the purpose of creating excitement and desire to watch this movie. Previews are now part of TV also, if my VCR cuts off the last few minutes of Lost (if for some crazy reason there is a life or death situation and I am pulled from my TV on a Wed night) and I miss the preview I will go into a period of mourning because I don’t know what is coming up on the next episode.

The funny thing about previews is that they are always a bit misleading. First you have the preview that shows all the best scenes, so there really isn’t anything worth watching in the 2 hour flick that you haven’t seen in the 2 minute preview. Then there are the previews that make you think the movie is a comedy when in fact it is a horror, or worse the other way around. Misleading previews are the worst. Then there is the preview that has scenes that never make it into the final cut of the movie so you spend the entire time looking for that one scene and realize that it ended up on the cutting room floor.

Now what if our lives had previews? What if every morning for 30 seconds you could get a preview of your day on channel 2? Would you miss that preview? I wouldn’t. Just tell me the time and I would have my alarm set (with a second alarm just in case the first one misfired), bound out of bed, and be waiting for that preview with anticipation.

But think about what our life would be like if we had a preview of our day. Would I decide whether to get back in bed and refuse to let the day occur if I didn’t like what I saw on the preview? And then what about the context, one five second flash of a scene doesn’t give me the whole picture of what will occur, the lead up, the aftermath, the context of what I am seeing. Would I avoid certain things because of what I saw that morning in my preview, would I make choices thinking it will cause a preview I like to come true. How would my life be different if I could see the future, would it cause my future to change because I was so bent on making certain things happen and others to not occur?

So maybe, previews aren’t all their cracked up to be. We make decisions, based on 30 seconds of film, on two minutes of a story, when the whole story really takes 2 hours to tell. Our lives are so much more than that. To decide the outlook of my day, the entire 24 hours of it, based on 30 seconds of material taken out of context.

But isn’t that what we often ask for in life. Just let me know if I am going to get this job, just let me know if I am going to get married, to have children, to have this dream of mine come true. We want those answers, simple and exact as they may be, but we want them out of context. We don’t ask for the cost, we don’t want to know the choices we have to make to get to these answers, or the paths we must walk to arrive at these destinations. We want that instant gratification of knowing what we are most focused on.

What if God gave us those answers, what if He allowed us to see the preview of our lives? Then where would be we be? We would know the answer to that most important question but we would have no context to put it in. Will I marry this guy I’m dating? The preview tells me no, so I break up with him in search of my prince charming but I didn’t see in the preview that it is through my current boyfriend that I meet my future husband. How will I die? I see a fiery plane crash, so I never fly again, but then I miss out on traveling to all the places that I might have visited.

So maybe missing the previews aren’t such a bad thing. Maybe living live without all the answers allows us to really live life, instead of moving from one event to the next.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I could not have said that better myself. You really have me pondering what you wrote. I guess I would not want any previews of this live that I live as I would never get out of bed.

Now I do know that we have had a preview or as the Lord has said in the word of God, "A taste..." of what is to come. And in that context; the previews that he has given us for eternity has created a taste and a full on desire to see what lie ahead. Thank you for writing.

12/30/2005 1:05 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

Reminds me of one of my favorite songs... Garth's "The Dance"

(Chorus)
And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end
the way it all would go.
And our lives are better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain, but I'd've had to miss the dance.

It's not my plan... its the Big Guy's... and it's awesome! Previews Suck!

Great Topic KT!

12/30/2005 1:55 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Katie, you always have such good posts on your blogs!

There are times when I wish our lives had previews, and other times when I wouldn't wish that for a million years. I guess it depends on the situation, or the outcome. I guess without the previews, our lives are more adventurous...or something...you never know what's around the next corner.

12/30/2005 6:36 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Your post reminds me of Christmases as a kid. I'm sure you had some of these as a kid - we all probably did. You'd look hard to find those presents before Christmas and when you found them try to put them back so no one will know that you found them. Then comes Christmas morning and all of the surprise, all of the joy of seeing that present unwrapped for the first time is gone. And it makes you sad that you peeked beforehand.

I may not always LIKE what I get for Christmas, but I LOVE the surprises. I turn to the gift giver and say "Thank you"

I may not always LIKE what events happen in my life, but I LOVE the journey and the path that I'm on. I turn to the giver of life and say "Thank you, God - for the good and the bad. And thank you for being with me on my journey, every step of the way."

12/30/2005 8:01 PM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day". If we knew what was coming we would end up messing things up anyway. It's good to know we serve a God who orders our steps.

12/30/2005 8:04 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Previews=psychics. If we were meant to get previews in life, I assume we'd be psychics.

Now when *I* become Queen of the World it will become mandatory for all movie theaters to carry two versions of a movie: one with previews and ads, and one without. I don't care if they charge more for the one without, because I'm sure people will be willing to pay extra for it.

12/30/2005 8:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Bill - ponder away

Logan - I love the movie Frequency, it actually went through my mind as I wrote this

Aim Claim - ahhhh Garth Brooks, that is a fav song from high school, oh and the video made me cry, but great lyrics and very appropriate

Shelley - you have great posts too, I'm with you on the sometimes want and sometimes don't but I have a feeling if we were given them they would be all or nothing, so I'm choosing nothing

Green - I'm not sure there was ever a Christmas or Birthday where I didn't scope out one gift as a child (I'm sorry mom, I was such a stinker as a kid, I searched high and low for all the presents)

Mark - yes it is good to serve a God who orders our steps, and promises to walk them with us

Saurkraut - I wanna be Queen of the World too, or maybe Princess since you would be Queen, but I would fully support the two versions of movies

12/30/2005 8:42 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh myyyy. What a great question.

At first, I thought HEY! I'd like to see a 30 second blip on my day... but then, if I find out that my boss is going to be an evil wretch, why go into work.

And you know, some of the best days of my whole life have started out in tears of misery, and then the peace of the Lord came upon me and something amazing happened and it changed the whole day.

So I guess I'd choose to miss the previews. ;-)

Happy New Year, friend.

*hugs*

12/30/2005 10:17 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm that way with books. Sometimes I really just want to see what the last few pages say, so that I understand what's going on while I'm reading the book. But other times, it's kinda a let down.

I want to live my life on "skip forward" like on my DVR remote, but I want to be able to "skip back" too, which isn't possible either. So it's probably good that I can't.

I can't wait to get a better idea of God's perspective of time is. When we all get to heaven, it will be amazing.

12/30/2005 11:46 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

And I so enjoyed our girl time together today K-T. Despite the chartreuse dresses. :(

12/30/2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh Katie: you don't even KNOW how much I would have liked previews about 6 months ago... would have saved me a lot of heartache. BUT, that begs the question: would I have learned anything had I not experienced the heartache in the first place? Probably not.

We win some, we lose some, but even when we lose, we still win, because we take the important lessons of every failed "life experiement" with us into the next experience so that we don't make the same mistakes the next time around (hopefully ;).

Great thoughts Katie, as always!

12/31/2005 12:08 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Life is a journey. What kind of journey would it be if we knew what to expect? Would we still learn from it?

I could skip the previews too, but B goes balistic if we miss them, so we usually get first pick of seats!

12/31/2005 7:16 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

P.S. I love the word "particular" much better then "anal". I'm one of those too!!

12/31/2005 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home