Thursday, December 29, 2005

It’s the little choices in life

I switched cell phone providers about four years ago. With my new provider came a new number. One thing I dislike about getting a new phone is transferring all the numbers stored in your phone book, it takes a lot of time and is a bit repetitive. But I quickly learned that this was to be the least of my repetitive worries.

See my new number just happen to be very similar to another person’s number. Now I realize that all phone numbers are very similar to other numbers because someone has to be in front and behind you in the cell phone number line, so it stands to reason that every once in a while you will get a phone call for these people. You just have to hope that you got in line between somewhat normal people, so you don’t get the late night drunk dial phone call with someone on the other end ranting and raving to you, or better yet crying as they pour their alcohol flooded heart out to you. Or better yet, you happen to stand behind a person who just happens to give their number out to many a person on the single scene, or maybe someone who doesn’t like to pay their bills so you get the ever-so-nice collection calls.

Now my place in the phone number line was choice in that I was not near any of the above. No I just happened to be behind a realtor. Now really, this is a bigger disaster than any of the aforementioned people, because I’m not sure I can think of another person that would constantly get phone calls and would be misdialed with such efficiency.

So it was five years ago that my life took on an alternate identity. By day I am Katie of Kpinion but by night (or sometimes day) I become Kami, realtor. Really having a dual personality is a bit of a struggle. I never know when the change will come. I can be in the middle of a normal day and voila, with the ring of my phone, I am instantly transported into Kami.

At first this unexpected transformation was a bit annoying, especially when someone would begin a conversation with me just assuming I was, in fact, the person they intended to call. Those were fun, mind you, because here I am trying to figure out who this person is that seems to know me when in fact they only think they know me. The other problem was that I did not know why I was so blessed to continue to get wrong number calls for the same person over and over and over again. And then one day, an epiphany of sorts occurred. I was driving to work (mind you at least a year or so after I had gotten my new number and become Kami part deux), when I saw it, the answer to all my questions. There, right in front of me, was a sign, a big sign just for me. It read Kami Farfegnuten (name changed for her protection) and had her phone number 867-5309 (obviously not her real number, nor is my number any such combination of these numbers because really this is the internet and I am not about to just give my number out willy nilly people, I’m picky (read – smart) like that). So in that moment I realized who it was my alternate identity belonged to. Kami the realtor with the number blazed across signage all over my town.

So I had a decision to make. I could either spit fire at all people who call my number in error and talk to me for a few minutes before we can come to the conclusion that I am not Kami, or I could change my number and get back in the wacko wrong number lottery, or I could do what any sweet southern gal would do and kindly give the proper digits to all those who call me in error. So which one do you think I chose? All those who answered option #1 you are no longer my friends.

Well I decided to embrace my dual personality and to go with option number #3 (and all of you who chose this as my likely response are my friends forever). So for the last four years, count them F.O.U.R. I have dutifully responded with kindness when people call me looking for Kami. The funny thing is that they seem to be so surprised by my kindness and the fact that I will tell them the actual number they need to call. Has our world gotten so bad that a person being kind when a wrong number is dialed will make other people fall out of their chair in shock? Gosh, I hope not. Now I am not all saintly every moment of my life (shocking I know) so there are times when I want to resort to the fire breathing monster that gets frustrated when the same person calls back three times even though I gave them the correct digits, but I choose southern sweetness over fire breathing (sometimes with much difficulty).

So why am I tell you all this you may be asking yourself. Well, for one it is my blog and I can do what I want (much like it is my party and I will cry if I want to, because you know you would cry too if it happened to you – sorry I couldn’t help myself, it ran through my head – like it is now running through yours – see how that works, I am now free of the song and you are stuck with it), and also because I just got a call for dear ol Kami and I ever so sweetly told that person the correct digits.

Yep, so that’s what I’ve got for you today. Impressed aren’t you? And let the commenting begin.

16 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

Impressed. Yes. And now the whole internet can search for Kami's name with the word 'realtor' and get her phone number and then try varying combinations to get yours, which aren't so varying, just like i just did. except i already knew your number.

12/29/2005 2:59 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

funny story... I guess being one number off from Kami the realtor is better than having 867-5309 ?!?

12/29/2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh gosh just think of the wrong numbers I would get then . . . .

12/29/2005 3:24 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Steve Trivia...

Tommy Tutone who wrote JENNY 867-5309 lives in my Hometown....

12/29/2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger steve said...

The town where I grew up.. not where I live now...

12/29/2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Steve - did I know this already? it sounds famliar.

12/29/2005 4:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

oh Logan, you might be starting a fight you can't handle . . . . .

I am impervious to your MC Hammer attack

12/29/2005 4:55 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Eric - I'm not sure I want to be the girl behind 867-5309, because she wasn't a very "nice" girl

12/29/2005 5:09 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

That was very informative KT. I was wondering why I continually get other people's calls at all hours of the night! Most of the time, they also speak spanish, what is up with that? Maybe I should speak back in German.

Steve - that is so cool that Tommy Tutone is from your home town. All the cool people must come from your home town. Well, yours and KT's since she gets all the comments!! LOL

Word verification = ICKEN - sounds German, doesn't it??

12/29/2005 6:52 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I was just going to comment on the foreign language thing, but a few folks beat me to it. That's what I get for going to work all day...

12/29/2005 7:31 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Good for you Katie! Not many people would do that.

A friend of mine, when she moved into her apartment and got her phone, she was given a phone number (obviously). She then gave it to her mom and others. Her mom called her one day and it turns out she didn't get her daughter.

What happened, was that the phone company had given her a number that was already in use. She had wondered why no one was calling her, even her mom. She was quite angry at the phone company though and eventually got a number that wasn't in use.

12/29/2005 7:41 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T, I'll have you know that I chose Door #3, because I know just how sweet you are. And I feel oh so special since I know your REAL ph# and not this 867-530nih-iyi-an stuff.

I think you should call Kami up sometime and let her know what a service you are doing to her customers, and then see if she will give you part of her realtor cut. 1% will do nicely.

tnyqrqi - tiny, quirky.

12/29/2005 7:47 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie:

I'm jumping in real late in the game here: likely there is no game to be played from her on in, but alas, I am commenting away to my heart's desire anyway, all "willy-nilly and what-not". (Did that make ANY sense? I didn't think so.)

ANYWAY!

As I was reading, I suddenly realized how ironic it was that YOU TOO were receiving calls for a "Kami" as well: until I realized that it certainly wasn't "Kami" at all, but rather, you were using that name in lieu of her real name and then I realized how not ironic it was and shortly thereafter realized how pointless this comment would truly be.

But I wanted to play too. So I decided to comment and tell you that I TOO get calls for a Kami. :)

I think I'll go to bed now :)

12/29/2005 8:49 PM  
Blogger amelia said...

We once had a phone number where we got all kinds of wrong numbers at 2, 3, and 4 AM!! They were strange calls too, people asking us if we had a cat. A year after we moved (hence getting a new number) I saw a TAXI cab and realized our number had been one off from the taxi company and very drunk people had been calling asking for a CAB, not a cat!!

12/29/2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger Lia said...

Proud, but I don't want to say impressed, because then you would think that it's something above and beyond. Which, in our world, maybe it is. But the serendipity that identified Kami to you clearly indicates that you have a higher calling (pardon the pun) in life: you are the unpaid receptionist of a busy realtor. Have you informed Kami?

We get two types of wrong numbers: Spanish-speaking people and those who just ring a few times and when you pick up there's no one there. We used to get regular calls from a local school informing us that someone wasn't coming to school. The thing was, we didn't know who the kid was, and they never left a callback number, and we didn't know anyone who went to that school.

12/30/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

So YOU'RE the reason I didn't get that house on James Street? Argh!

12/30/2005 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home