Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Where is that pesky apple with the sleeping potion, and who is the wicked witch with the magic mirror?

Last night I went to bed at 10:00 p.m. and while this may be late for some of you early to bed, early to rise makes a man boring, sad, and not me, it was super early for me to be creeping between the covers but I was SUPER tired yesterday for no good reason. So I hit the sack a good hour to two early for my normal sleep patterns (I do make up for these late nights on the weekends where lunch and wake up are synonymous terms).

Therefore this was my morning:

I was having a horrible dream, a nightmare no less where I was called out in the middle of a BSF leadership meeting for giggling and talking to my neighbor and asked, in front of the 20 or so other leaders, to leave the meeting, and to not be a BSF leader anymore. Looking back it is not as heart wrenching and horrible as it was in the dream but I actually woke up crying (I have weird dreams people).

So as not to cause me to be awake at an unnatural hour I refused to open my eyes as I woke up, told myself it was just a dream, wiped the tears off my cheeks, and rolled over forcing myself to fall back asleep.

The next sound I remember is a knock at my door. Now this is a weird occurrence because I live in the country and no one ever comes to my house, at least not without my prior knowledge. The only people that knock at my door are my landlords/neighbors. I rolled out of bed threw on a robe and went to answer the door. My mind is racing and yet very, very s…….l…………o…………………..w. I’m all confused as to what is going on.

I open the door and blink at the sheer brightness of the sun as I face my sweet landlady. She looks at me with a smile and asks if I overslept.

Now I’m thinking that 9 a.m. (I had noticed the time on my alarm clock as I rolled out of bed) is a normal time for my weekend wake-up (WEEKEND being the key word here). I must have looked like a puppy dog when you first say the word sit because she smiled and said that Linda (our school secretary) had called her because they hadn’t been able to reach me and were worried.

The clouds parted, the fog cleared, my senses returned and I quickly realized that it was WEDNESDAY and it was 9:00 A.M. I was supposed to be at work at 8 and here I was in my robe with sleep still stuck in my eye sockets and lucid thoughts just now synapsing in my brain.

I began to do the crazy girl shuffle where you turn and turn and turn and turn as your brain races with all the things you need to do and yet you are moving only in a circle. If my brain was shut off just a minute before it was now on overdrive as I rushed through my house trying to complete my morning routine in a world record five minutes. Shower – no time, tooth brushing - a must, clothes – would be more professional than my current robe attire.

I called the school to apologize and inform them I would be there asap. They of course were super sweet (if not making fun of me a little, well a lot) and thought that maybe I was sick or worse dead on the side of the road a sad victim of cow swiping (like side swiping but more prevalent in farm land like I live in).

So here I am, the butt of a few jokes, eating lunch a mere three hours after I woke up, and yet completing all my tasks for today.

I 'm just waiting for seven little men singing "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go . . " to show up at work and for my prince charming to ride up on his trusty steed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Oh poor K-Pinion. That is one of my worst fears. I did oversleep this morning too, running to catch up on time. Too bad this never happens. I SO identified with you on many levels-
1. I too consider the weekend to mean lunch and wakeup are synonymous (love that 6pm church service!)

2. I too have weird dreams ALL THE TIME.

3. I have done that crazy-girl, turn around in circles shuffle that occurs when you legs are awake but your brain is not.

Way to go on catching up on your work though!

6/01/2005 3:46 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I.Love.This.Post.

9:00 am on a Wednesday.

The crazy girl shuffle... lol. Never heard of this before... there is such a thing?

Finally, if you only had 3 hours of work... why did you not just call in and take the day off?

lol.

You are SO one of my favorite bloggers.

6/02/2005 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben, Yes there is such a thing as the crazy girl shuffle. Any female that has overslept knows this shuffle well!

K, I love your site! You definitely have a way with words and humor.

6/02/2005 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home