Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Embracing my nerdiness

Hello my name is Kpinion and I am a NERD. I have been a self-confessed nerd since childhood and I continue to grow in nerdiness as nerdiness abounds in my life. Evidence: I went to the Dallas Museum of Art on Saturday for the Splendors of China's Forbidden City. I went with a group of three other gals and we each purchased the earphones for the guided tour. I of course was the lagger of the group. I wanted to look at EVERYTHING and read EVERYTHING. (Sidenote: I need to write a letter to the DMA encouraging them to use larger font on their plagues describing each exhibit, it was way too small to read and should have been much larger so that everyone could read from a comfortable distance. I also have issues with the directionality of the display and the fact that there was no common flow as to where you were to go to see the exhibit fully). So I was the slowpoke of the bunch. I also got super excited then the ear phone tourguide used a word I'd never heard before in describing how the emperor would walk around a religious icon in a clockwise motion. I've now forgot the word, but I kept rewinding the tour to hear it over and over again in the hopes I would learn it.

After the tour we (and I mean I begged everyone else) to also look at the regular art in the museum. I then got excited to find art work about some works of literature I have read or want to read. I saw a painting on Oedipus and a sculpture from Dante's Inferno. I was giddy with excitement to find artwork that I knew the back history of. NERD.

So embrace your inner nerd, or in my case the outer, inner, all encompassing NERD.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

So the exhibit was really cool? I was thinking of taking my son to see it.

At least you're not in denial about being nerdy.

5/31/2005 7:19 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

You go, nerdy girl! Sounds fascinating.

5/31/2005 8:13 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Oh, I need more information about the Exhibit KT - Chad is right - what was your favorite part of the Chinese Exhibit?

And yes, you are a nerd, but we still love you!

6/01/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

It does sound very interesting. I went to high school in downtown Dallas and so we walked to the DMA for art class, geometry, and for any other excuse that we successfully convinced our teacher of in order to escape the confines of our building. I have not been back since then but I did enjoy the MET this spring so maybe I can continue my artistic endeavors and schedule a trip to see it.

6/01/2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, KT. you are not alone. when you move to Dallas, we can go to the DMA and wander slowly together. :)

6/01/2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Nerd.

lol.

6/02/2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home