Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What is a normal anyway?

I came home last night to my abode. The front door was clad in darkness because I neglected to turn on the porch light at 5:00 when I left the house with the sun beating down on my front porch. I also choose not to turn on the light because it is a homing beacon for every june-bug in the northern hemisphere. It is like a insect family reunion on my porch as long lost bug cousins gather for a bar-b-que, trip down memory lane, and their favorite pastime – trying to skirt into my door as I slip through the small slit I allow myself to prevent the Clampett family of bugs to move in with me.

Luckily the moon was full so I could navigate my way across the backyard (my front yard though) and make it safely to the door. Also, my ability to change into a hairy beast with a dastardly growl during the full moon assures me that I will be safe from any neighborhood dogs that may be on the prowl. As I expertly slid the key into the lock with my night vision precision I step forward into the doorway.

Then it hits me. LITERALLY. I am intertwined in a web of sorts and sticky threads are attaching themselves to my face and hair. Now a normal person would just reach up and swat away the web and maybe step back to inspect. But me, oh no I FREAK out for some reason. Wildly swatting in the air to make sure some behemoth of a spider is not creating a nice summer home in my ear, I step back to escape the grasp of the web of entrapment. I trip and fall down and I am laying on my porch with books, purse, and stuff scattered everywhere. Little slivers of flesh from my arms and legs are now gracing the cements of my stoop and the wood planks of the porch and I am uttering words that RARELY pass my lips.

Is this, I ask you, a normal reaction to a spider web? Is this a normal reaction to anything? No it is the Kpinion reaction to a surprising circumstance with an uneven porch, an askew porch mat, and my keen sense of utter inability to stand up in any given situation.

11 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

That laughing you hear? Ummm... yeah, that's me. But I am laughing with you. And no... you are not normal... but that is why, even though I don't "really" know you... I love you still.

Thanks for the day brightener. ;)

6/22/2005 10:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Yes Ben you are indeed laughing with me because I learned long ago to just laugh at myself when I do stupid things (which averages about three a day)

6/22/2005 10:51 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Have I ever told you that your blog is one of my most favorite blogs? That is, of course, why I ride you so hard about blogging... my day tends to skip a beat on the days that YOU.DON'T.POST.

;)

6/22/2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

OHHHH MY GOODNESSS! Oh, K-T, I'm laughing so hard. Not only is the scenario playing through my head, but the descriptions are classic. CLASSIC. I can so see the spastic swatting of the web, the slow motion fall where you yell "NOOOOOOO" in a snail-like pace, and then your utter disgust at both the situation and the words that slipped out because of it. "Homing beacon for every june-bug in the northern hemisphere" "creating a nice summer home in my ear". These are classic. Thank you so much for sharing. You brightened my day as well.

6/22/2005 11:35 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Who's whinnin? ;)

6/22/2005 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG KT I have been there and done that, but I love your eloquent ways of describing them. You had me cracking up! Definitely a day brightener :)

6/22/2005 1:13 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

at least you realize your imbalance in life.

what i think is MORE interesting is that your ability to turn into a werewolf was overshadowed by your fright over the spiderweb.

6/22/2005 1:24 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

the twins! they've commented!

6/22/2005 1:25 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Wow, that statement from Ben although a little brown nosy was really sweet - since I just visited about 300 blogs and he had commented on every single one of them - that man really gets around.

6/22/2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jes - Actually the twins comments were set up by me. I wanted to give them the ability to comment on sites that only allow blogger members. So they may be making an appearance soon on their own.

6/23/2005 8:55 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I'm confused- twins? Only thing I noticed is that older twin was two separate words and youngertwin was one word. But I don't know who/what they represent. Pray tell.

6/23/2005 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home