Friday, June 03, 2005

Do you ever . . .

just sit alone staring at the TV and laugh uncontrollably? I do. There are those classics that cause me to burst into gulping laughs, Seinfeld and Friends being two all-stars. The West Wing, with its dry wit and random moments of pure comedy, can cause me to shift from deep thought to bubbly laughter.

Last night I found a new show/special that brought me joy and laughter. Dan Finnerty and The Dan Band was a comedic enterprise. Picture a man with a backwards baseball cap, cargo pants, mechanic shirt, and red Chuck Taylors belting out with much emoting brought on by estrogen all the chick songs you have come to love. Here is a mere sampling of the songs he “covers”: Total Eclipse of the Heart, Scrubs, Genie in a Bottle, Shoop, Slave for you, Nasty Boys, Hold on (a personal fav from the Wilson Phillips group), My name is Luca (classic 80’s), What a Feeling, Fame, You Oughta Know (the epitome of angry girl rock).

So I’m watching this man sing all these chick songs and he has choreography. Choreography people that could fit in a music video for any of these songs. Not only that, but he has two back up singers that make you think the Clark Kent look alike contest is on the same stage. Suit and black rimmed glasses with the slick hair these guys sing backup and throw in some killer dance moves.

It was weird and yet hilarious. It seems he is a hit in Hollywood with the celebrity set and now he is a hit with me. I could have done without the bleeped out words he decided to intersperse in the songs (they are funny and witty alone with a dude singing them) but overall it was Hilarious.

One moment hit a comedic chord: While singing Nasty Boys (Janet Jackson at her best) the backup singers hit the final note and pulled their shirt open to expose a specific body jewelry that many of you might remember from the Super Bowl fiasco. A little off color humor but funny no less.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

I've got to check this out. Could be my new favorite comedy routine.

Have you ever seen Eddie Izzard, in Dressed to Kill? Hilarious. He does a routine about Inglebert Humberdink (sp?). Really funny stuff.

6/03/2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

What channel did you see this on?

6/04/2005 9:44 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

yeah. viewers like me want to know. i've never heard of this before, and now i am sumo-curious...

6/06/2005 10:43 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I read this entire post when it got emailed to me when you posted it on the BP site accidentally. Too funny.

Saturday night was great - a little crazy - but great nonetheless and yes, I missed your cookies. Jes' were great, but they were too uppity, I like the simpleness and the quantity of yours.

6/06/2005 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home