Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Moving on up, to the east side, to that deluxe apartment in the skyyyyyyyy

My friend jessica, one of the two known visitors to my site (post comments please if you drop by so I know who has been here), posted a story about a crazy roommate situation and it inspired me to share with you my bizarro history with roomates. Please note I hold no ill will toward these former roomates now (although I must admit I did with a few at the time). I now look back at the occurances with humor and laughter at the absurdity of some and the overall hilarity of the combined story line.

These stories will be in time order and categorized by state in life, location, and nifty title.


Change in plan: I got through about the fourth story and even I was bored with it so below are the facts.

College, freshmen year, American University, Washington D.C.
The rotating room


Three girls built for two
Roomie wanted to hide pot in ceiling tiles – HELLO
Time to de-triple - DRAMA
Moved to a room built for three – didn’t know the other two girls last name for the three months I lived there
Moved in with a nice girl back on old floor – she kicked me out one night for some personal time with boyfriend, they broke up later, DRAMA


Sophomore year, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
Moved back in with my parents (returned to the nest)


Younger sister moved into my old room two days after I left for college, so I had to move into the dining room. Enough said.


College, junior year, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
First Apartment


Four girls, two bedrooms, a tiny poodle dog that limped. I came home from church one night to find my roommate packing. Not for a trip or an overnight excursion, but for good. The three of us not moving sat there in disbelief as she packed with her mom and moved out without saying a word to us. Anger, frustration, disbelief, yelling, etc., etc. ensued when she came back to “talk” about it. Ended up with my own room and she paid the rent until our lease ended.


1st Senior year of college
Back with the parents (Nest AGAIN)

Made the same mistake twice, expecting a different outcome – definition of craziness.


Spring semester of Junior year of college
First House – Tree House to be specific – later named La Casa de Eviction


Fun house, cute house, too many girls in one house. Drama points – a boot, a family picture, a couch, four cats, drama, drama, drama. It all ended in a phone call while I was working at summer kamp in Missouri that we were moving. We? I was in Missouri as well as my roommate and another house mate was in China. Well the other two moved and took the China girl’s stuff with them. Therefore my parents and my roommates parents moved us (without air conditioning in JULY). DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA. This one wins the most drama filled award.


Fall of 1st Senior Year of college to 1st year working at Calvary
Small House


My roomie from the la casa de eviction and I moved into this house the day we came back from kamp. The same day as a 7 hour drive from Missouri. P.S. We moved all the furniture except for the big screen tv and the refrigerator. Our to be married friend from kamp moved in as well. Wedding planning, stray cats, it was good for a while. Then a new friend from kamp came to replace the one who got married. Two weeks later our “new” roommate called. New? Wait we already have enough. Oh the original had made plans to move out and forgot to tell us. Oops. Well she moved and took the “new” roommate with her. Then we got another roomie. Then the plumbing exploded. Seriously – sewer in the sinks, tub, dishwasher, washing machine, yard. YUCKY. Then another the second or third original, it gets confusing without names, decided to move back home – Nebraska or Missouri or Kansas, can’t remember where home was at that time. So again left with two.


Summer after 1st year working at Calvary
The house that never was

I was set up to sub-let a house right by work. NICE – walking distance. Moved some of my stuff in and was probably going to take over the lease or at least have the summer to find a place. Didn’t happen that way. Always talk to the landlord – lesson learned. So went to kamp for two weeks to train and had no place to live when got back. Some of my stuff at parents, some in storage, some in old house, some in new house that was not going to be mine. AAAUUUUGGGHHH.


Same Summer
Return of an old roomie and arrival of a new friend

My hero. A friend came to visit kamp while I’m up there telling everyone of my homelessness drama. She wanted to move, I needed a place, perfect timing. We came back to denton and in three weeks moved into a new house. Then she up and left me in November. Alone, again. New roommate search is on. Who, where, when???? Then surprise there she is new roommate, who I don’t know that well but became a good friend.


Next Summer and since . . . .
On my own

The search was on for a new place. Comedy stories of possibilities. Water main exploded in the street creating a water volcano on moving day. Crazy, crazy. I moved to the country by myself. AND. I. LOVE. IT.



That is the short version; now just think what the long version could have been like. If you have questions I will be happy to expound.

4 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

ha! i remember when you lived in the dining room!!! hahaahahaha i had forgotten about that! :)

JESSICA = CHINA GIRL. thanks for the title, kt. ;)

UM, I left you in OCTOBER Katie, not November. October 12 to be exact. Isn't that you birthday? Yeah...I kinda felt bad about that. Gee whiz.

12/01/2004 3:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Addendum to above post:

In college when I moved from the pot head to the girls with no names, I moved on my birthday which was also visitor’s day and of course since my parents lived in Texas they weren’t able to visit. Worst birthday ever.

Now I know that Jessica moved out on my birthday also.

So birthdays + moving + roomies = Not so good

12/01/2004 3:24 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

Sad for you, KT!

Maybe NEXT YEAR on your BIRTHDAY, me and a group of your friends will all move IN with you, just to make up for it all! ;)

12/01/2004 3:55 PM  
Blogger Don said...

More than just Jes here.;) Found your blog today whilest floating about...

12/13/2004 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home