Thursday, April 03, 2008

Contemplating

I read this quote in a book recently:

"Never settle for an Ishmael when you can have an Isaac."

It was a little quote in the middle of dialogue in a fiction novel. Nothing profound really, just a piece of advice one character gave to another. And yet since reading it (again in fact, as I've read the book before) I've had a hard time getting it out of my head.

If you're confused by who Ismael and Isaac are, here's the cliff notes version: Abraham (from the Bible) is promised a son by God, even though he's pretty old as is his wife, Sarah. Well patience didn't seem to be their strong points so Sarah, gave her handmaiden, Hagar, to Abraham to produce a child . . . Ishmael. The problem was that God had promised a child for Abraham through Sarah, not Hagar. So here you have a son, the first born in fact, that isn't the child of promise. And then of course, God kept His promise, and Sarah had Isaac. Drama ensues as you have two sons, one of promise and one of people.

So this comment keeps popping up in my head and I ask myself how often to I settle for the Ishmael. How often do I create a solution to a problem and even though it's not God's solution or even his promised/intended outcome do I settle for it because it's an answer and it's an answer now.

I want the Isaacs, I want God's answers and solutions but often I settle for my answers because they are on my timeline.

So I'm still thinking on this one so you might see more about it soon. But let me leave you with this question: What Ishmaels are you settling for in your life? What Isaacs are you not willing to wait for and so create Ishmaels?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious what book this is.

My Isaacs and Ishmeals: uhhhhh...does my job count? Because maybe my job counts, and maybe my job is Ishmeal. In fact, I think I just discovered its code name.

4/03/2008 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure this is were to put this but I am asking for a prayer request for all of the women and children in Eldorado. Most everyone has seen on the new what is going on down there. I have personally been a part of it and believe the right thing is being done. But it is heart breaking to see these children and young mothers scared about the unknown and the "outside." I also sympathize with these individuals who have been taken from thier home, some have never left thier "ranch" and are being taken and questioned about thier religion. It is a hard situation for everyone involved, and I hope for peace and understand from all involved, including those being taken from thier home. They deserve and are being treated with the upmost respect. Even though most do not agree with what they believe in, everyone has the right to believe in what they want. The only problem is the illegal aspect of part of thier beliefs. So please if you get a chance, pray not only for the women and children, but all of the workers and individuals given the hard task of implementing what a judge has told us to do.
Thanks

4/09/2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger Davey G said...

wow... this is going to be a good thing to contemplate on... I really needed to hear (or really read, I guess) something like that today.

It's like we settle for so many reasons. For me it's comfort and control. But last time I checked, God is in control... and he doesn't call us to a life of comfort.

O man, O man...

4/09/2008 2:46 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

Good thoughts Katie...thats all I got.

4/12/2008 12:58 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Ishmael's? Isaacs? Good question... good question...

4/14/2008 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home