Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Voices

The last week has been a confluence of what some people might call coincidence but I like to consider providence.

*Sidenote: Why don't we use that word anymore, providence? It seems to have gone by the wayside with the pilgrims or those old souls of bygone times who weren't afraid to call it when God stepped in and made His presence or hand known.

So in the midst of all these things coming together I had a great conversation with a kindergartener on Sunday that went a bit like this:

Hudson: You know the first thing I want to do when I go to heaven?

Me: What?

Hudson: Talk to God cause I want to know what His voice sounds like.

Me: Me too, Hudson. I can't wait to hear His voice.

The truth is, I can't wait to hear God's voice, to see if it sounds anything like James Earl Jones (my guess for the closest comparison). I can't wait to hear Him call my name and to know the sound of it. But in the meantime, my thoughts wander to this: How can I hear the voice of God now? How can I listen to hear His voice?

So, thanks Hudson for showing me the faith of a child, that honest, real, and expectant faith that grasps hold of the thought of hearing the voice of God and shares that hope with a huge smile on your face.

7 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Precious! Is he doing the same study we are??

2/19/2008 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet comment, and I can totally see him saying something like that.

2/19/2008 11:49 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

There's a real interesting thing I picked up from The Prince Of Egypt. When Moses hears God's voice through the burning bush it's a combination of a masculine and a feminine voice. In that case, Val Kilmer (who voiced Moses) was also the masculine voice. I believe they used Michelle Pfeiffer (who played his wife) as the feminine.

Maybe there's something to that -according to Ephesians 5 a husband and wife as "the two becoming one" is supposed to be a reflection of the church and its relationship to Christ.

I wonder if that's an angle with some theological weight to it... maybe God's voice (as we would understand it) is a masculine/feminine combo (since both men and women are made in His image) with inflections that we are familiar with through our own voice.

I know the fear in saying that is we get all New Age and claim that our voice is the voice of God. What if the reverse is true, though - what if our voices are a reflection of God's voice?

Hmm... even more musings from kids stuff, eh?

2/20/2008 10:35 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

in response to tony's comment -

(a little backstory) i lost my mother 11 years ago at the age of 15. instead of dealing with stuff then, i buried it for years. it was just about a year ago that I finally dealt with it. Mother's Day has always been hard for me because I no longer have my mother here.

Preachers and others are always saying that if you don't have a great dad here on Earth, then God can be your dad. But what about your mom? Can't God be that, too?

This was something I struggled with, seeing the femininity in God. Then my counselor pointed this passage out:

"God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

There is a distinct "woman" part of God that I feel we so often miss. That nurturing, compassion, and protection that we see in our own mothers.

I like to think that God's audible voice will sound like something very familiar, yet altogether different from anything we've heard. Something that reflects both the father figure we all know he is, but also the mother figure that is a little harder to find right at first.

2/21/2008 7:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tony and Katie: What great conversation to chew on and think about!

2/22/2008 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i imagine God sounding more like the guy who does all the voice work for movie previews--know who i'm talking about? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbFuNQwTbs)

for real, he's tons more god-ish than mufasa!

2/22/2008 11:57 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I can hear it now... "Aimee... I am your father"

3/09/2008 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home