Monday, July 30, 2007

Wavering between laughter and dry heaving

Sunday night we had a potluck dinner event for out church that entailed me overseeing childcare for 40+ kiddos ranging from infants to elementary age. I was also slated to speak before the adults in attendance and share some thoughts on the last month of prayer that our church had committed to in regards to our future. Interestingly enough (or better yet only in the world of Katie) these two things intersected in a very ironic way.

In the span of 10 minutes:

I attempted to comfort a sweet 2 year old who was having severe separation anxiety. In the midst of her crying she began to cough which led to some pretty amazing projectile vomiting of the aforementioned potluck dinner items. (Side note: I know exactly which items she ate now, the partial noodles on my shirt were a dead giveaway). So sweet little girl puking on herself, me, and the carpet led to catlike reflexes on my part and the other volunteers.

After cleaning her up (she was very distraught about her shoes being dirty) and handing her off to mom, I had a quick pow-wow with my co-worker about scrubbing the public speaking part of my evening. After he assured me that he couldn't see any latent puke on my clothes, I did a quick paper towel cleaning of myself, washed my hands and arms and popped into the program part of the evening. As I stood there waiting for my cue, I looked at him and asked if I smelled like throw-up. Let's just say that his facial expression spoke more than words. As I went up on stage I tried to breathe through my mouth so that I wouldn't have to smell myself.

Call it adrenaline or denial but I got through my part of the program pretty well from my perspective. A clean t-shirt later I was back with the infants trying to head off any further puking episodes.

Oh and later that night, sweet little throw up girl comes running up to me with a big smile on her face. Thankfully I don't think she's associated me with a traumatic life event.

I have an interesting but never boring job.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewwww. Projectile? Good thing you weren't talking when that occurred. Can you imagine if it was shooting out of her mouth as you were talking, and the vomit landed in yours?

That would be so gross.

7/30/2007 4:24 PM  
Blogger spaghettipie said...

How is that my child has managed to make it onto your blog twice now? We just try to keep you full of good blog material, I guess...

7/30/2007 5:09 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Funny story. Vomi-larious, I'd say.

7/31/2007 11:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Wow... that perfume smells really rank. What's that... you got puked on? Oh... good thing it wasn't your perfume.

:)

7/31/2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

my son will give her( cute little vomit girl) a good shove or hairpulling next time we play and i will pretend not to see on your behalf.

7/31/2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger spaghettipie said...

now, now Michelle...easy, girl!

7/31/2007 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blehhhhhhhhh

8/02/2007 11:26 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

ewwwwwwwww

ewwwwwwwww


Wow, KT. You are more gifted than me.

fo sho.

8/03/2007 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home