Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Megaphone*

* This post was actually written in late October early November but has languished in my archives as a draft because I never took the time to finish it. I'm not sure if this was my complete thoughts on this topic but it made me laugh to re-read it so I figured I would share it with you.


Have you ever experienced that moment when you say something that would otherwise be covered by the general roar of background noise but in that perfect moment an uncanny silence falls over the room so what was meant to be only heard by one set of ears is broadcast to the entire world . . . in high definition . . . and with subtitles . . . and you realize that you are talking so loud in the now deafening silence that you might as well have a megaphone attached to your face.

TWICE this week this has happened to me. Once I said something and the other time something was said about me. Fun how I get to experience both ends of this. Oh and both happened at Bible study, go figure that.

Megaphone #1: While discussing characteristics of a person in a position of leadership, the comment was made that you wanted someone who took care of themself, i.e. had a reasonable level of personal hygeine. A friend made the comment that "we don't want no stank" which I jokingly repeated to the person taking notes, but at the moment I said it the entire room that had once been abuzz in noise was eeriely quiet and my comment came off as if I was yelling it out to the entire group. Also without any context this statement is rather funny. Go ahead, start saying it in the middle of general conversation and see what kind of reaction you get.

Megaphone #2: Comment made to me from one of the guys in our bible study group "I almost brought you a bag of crack tonight since you like it so much." Now a few things struck me as funny when this statement was made - 1. all the other leaders had their heads almost twist off as they whipped to see exactly who the "you" was, 2. that the words "crack" and "you like so much" were included in a sentence about me, 3. that I'm probably viewed as the angelic rebel in my Bible Study because at first glance I'm a goody-two-shoes but really I'm a rebel at heart (go ahead and laugh those who know me personally but it's true, you just don't know the things going on in my head all the time), and lastly 4. that I had made the comment to this paticular guy the night before at our leader meeting that candy corn was like crack to me because I can't turn it down and I lose all self control when it is placed in front of me and so he took that one little comment and ran with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Hello from France. It's nice to discover it and read it through. Just in case you're interested my blog is written both in French and English. Bye from far away.

12/28/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Crazy K-T!!!!

12/28/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

"I almost bought you a whole bag of crack... because you like it so much."

Classic.

Katie is the Queen of Crack.

1/02/2007 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home