Monday, August 28, 2006

Something to think about

Suppose God proposed to you a deal and said, "I will give you anything you want. You can possess the whole world. Nothing will be impossible for you . . . Nothing will be a sin, nothing forbidden. You will never die, never have pain, never have anything you do not want and always have anything you do want - except for just one thing; you will never see my face."


St. Augustine spoke these words in a sermon long ago. He went on to say that if a chill rose in your heart at the mention of the words "you will never see my face" than you possessed the greatest thing and that was the pure love of God.


All I know is that I want to see His face.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love St. Augustine - is this from his "Confessions" book?

8/28/2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I want to see his face, too.

Right now I'm just thankful he sees mine.

8/28/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Wow. I'm speechless.

8/28/2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I will take the face time

8/28/2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh my gosh.. that just brought tears to my eyes.

Whoa.

I want to see His face: FOR SURE.

8/28/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hm.

No chill. That's not good.

I want to see His face... but thought of not seeing his face doesn't give me chills.

Is that bad?

8/28/2006 5:33 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Great quote! If I could never begin to see even just a bit of God's face, all else would be worthless.

8/28/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I want to see His face too. I also want to hear "Well done good and faithful servant!" from Him.

8/28/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I fixed your site feed. I am not signed in to my email yet... but it is all fixed! :)

8/29/2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

It just goes to show me how much I love myself more than I love God...

When I got to that phrase, it gave me pause, but not chills. Yet I was delighted by the proposal.

Change my heart, O God.

8/29/2006 11:31 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

that gave me chills... it will all be worth it...I want to see his face!

8/29/2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Definitely see His face. Wow!!

8/29/2006 6:33 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Chills. Very chilling.

8/30/2006 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home