Tuesday, May 09, 2006

This place is Purty

(Please note the comments that pop up when you scroll over the pics, and a special thanks to Jes for being so techno-savy and helping me)

It was almost like a cultural exchange. One friend comes to the land of fried foods and flat land and then the other ventures to the luscious green wilderness with fresh seafood. I’m not sure who got the better end of the deal.

So yes, I ventured into the great pacific northwest to see how the other half lives (that half that has real trees, and mountains, and greenery, and oceans, you know the pretty stuff) and I got to hang out with Steve. And I got to meet his good friend C~ (because I like her own personal sign off on comments I will refer to her by this alone).

Sooooooo what does one do when arriving at the grand state of Oregon? Hike. The sad thing is that my Texas lungs are not use to hiking uphill (and when I say uphill I mean UPhill). But the scenery was so worth my wheezing and a little ribbing from Steve as he skipped along (dang Oregonian who is use to that kind of hiking).

First we went to a random trail with this amazing waterfall

The mist coming off of this was amazing and lowered the temperature around the falls

Then to another waterfall that is well known but I can’t remember the name of it right now (help needed from any Oregonians who recognize the pics).

This is the view from the bottom of the falls

on the trail to the top

It was amazing and so green. Really the trees, the vegetation, the moss. Yep, Texas is brown most of the year so this was a treat.

at the top of the falls, can you see the bridge and the path way down below and then the cars

this is the little stream that creates that huge waterfall - so pretty and peaceful


After some ice cream (yumm) we met up with C~ at her house where she was the most amazing hostess to me while I stayed in Oregon. After more food (steaks on the barby) I got to experience the national pastime of Oregon – MUDDING in the JEEP, although there was not a whole lot of mud (to Steve’s great disappointment).

The next day was all about the coast. Pictures tell it better than words so behold:

The house from Goonies in Astoria.

Goonies never say die!

The view from the top of a tower (again I can’t remember the name of it – gosh for all my history and geek tendencies I failed miserably in committing these places I visited to memory)

Ahhhhhh so green

Steve throwing airplanes off the tower much to the delight of a group of teenage boys.

after using his pre-purchased planes he started making paper ones out of things from his pockets - such a boy


Then we made our way to the end of the Lewis and Clark trail and I got to partake in the goodness of a Pronto Pup (corny dog for you Texas folks). Good, not the mammothness of a Texas State Fair Dog but good all the same. And then there was the taffy store. Oh my word, so much taffy. At first I tried to reign in the desire to start stuffing my hand in every bin and filling my bag until it burst, but after a while I gave into the call of the taffy and walked out with two pounds worth (I was later informed that if you didn’t spend at least $10 on taffy you were considered a wuss). And then we were off again to the beach and Haystack Rock (see I remembered that name) with a bit of crab and smoked salmon (did I mention we ate A LOT throughout the weekend).

Haystack Rock.

this pic reminds me of LOST but with fresh crab cocktail, smoked salmon, and plastic forks

The best part of Haystack is when the tide goes out it leaves all these pools filled with sealife.

starfish and sea anemones

Psome people got caught by suprise when the tide came in quickly


We stopped for a quick bite of crab and salmon in our new beach abode. C~ and I decided to go ahead and snatch this beach house up and now we have a co-op summer home on the beach. SWEET.

my new summer home, feel free to come visit me on vaca


More scenery shots. This is the time in this post where I remind you that I LOVE Texas, I was born and bred here and bleed Texas pride but really we can’t compare in beauty to the state of Oregon. Texas is a pretty ugly state (shhhhh don’t tell any Texans I admitted this).

So pretty, so green, so lush, so NOT texas

Ooooohhhhh, the octopus tree. This thing was AMAZING and HUGE. Look at how tiny C~ and I look in it.

this tree was amazing, I sort of fell out of this tree as I was getting down, but it was a really graceful fall and steve and C~ only laughed a little, ok well maybe more than a little but I laughed too

And then there was the squeaky cheese (not a big fan, cheese that squeaks in your mouth, there is something wrong with that) at the Tillamook Cheese plant and more ice cream (yuuuuuummmmmmmmmm). And then more seafood when we stopped by a friend of Steve’s and C~’s and picked up some lobster salad, shrimp, and fresh crab.

Sunday I got to see Steve in action at leading worship at his church (amazing) and get some fun chatty time with C~. A little Mexican food and bowling and then some gaming and it was time to head home. But not before some pics of our rowdy bunch.

I had to pick this picture because it is classic Steve.

I don't care, I ain't a skirt

And this is C~ and me (after I slid off the leather chair and had some issues getting up – there are pictures of that because of course steve felt like that should be captured for posterity, but I will let you just imagine and laugh on your own - ok I gave in).

and this is where I'm trying to climb back up after falling the second time - notice Caron laughing at me



isn't C~ cute and fun

So it was a great trip to Oregon. Beautiful scenery, fun times, and great friends (old and new).

16 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Cool. That tree is HUGE.

Washington is a nice state.

Ha!

5/09/2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Looks like he took you to some of the best places. We have SO MANY waterfalls around here, it's amazing.

And, of course, you have to buy at least $10 of taffy - I'm thinking you got off light.

Sounds like you had a great time.

5/09/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ugh. I officially MUST travel to Oregon someday: what BEAUTIFUL landscape! That hike looked incredible!

I'm glad you guys had such a great time: if you have more pics, we'd love to see them!`

5/09/2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

You posted some great photos here. Loved that octopus tree, the falls, the landscape views, and on and on. It sounds like a great time even if it was strenuous when hiking.

But Texas, while not perhaps as green or wet as the pacific northwest, possesses great beauty. I'm not a Texan by any means; I lived most of my life in Pennsyvania; but I vacationed in portions of Texas in 1997. I loved the Hill Country and the Big Bend National Park area of Texas. I loved the wildflowers in the Hill Country and the blooming cacti in parts of Big Bend National Park.

Ah, I remember lots of great hiking there. And I recall one experience in particular of crossing a dry stream bed in the morning and coming back in the afternoon and it was almost a river. It was a sunny, rainless day but the night before there had been some thunderstorms. I eventually waded through it though for a bit I wasn't sure what to do. A park ranger told us later that we would have had to hike twenty miles upstream had we not wanted to cross the water. Where I live, we're not used to such suddenly appearing rivers.

Sometime, I'll have to post some of my photos from then.

5/09/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Great pictures!

My cousin went to Oregon a few years ago and said that even our great region -- greatest in the world, KENTUCKIANA, is not as beautiful as Oregon. We have trees, waterfalls, and all that jazz, but not as large in scale or as pristine.

Sounds like ya'll had a great visit!

5/09/2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Public Service Announcement: Katie thinks Texas is ugly.

She is correct.

We should all move to Oregon.



PSA out.

5/09/2006 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see, Tim Rice, this is the thing: most Texans really don't visit Big Bend, because of the HOTNESS of Texas, and the DESERT-Y-NESS of Big Bend. And for people in Dallas, it takes 10-12 hours to get there, and really, if we're going to drive 10-12 hours, we're going to want to AT LEAST be able to say we left the state.

So, this is why many think Texas is ugly. That, and there is not green, lush, mountainous landscape.

We're on the other side of the fence, you see.

5/09/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T, I too bleed Texas, even though I'm the first in my family to be born here.

BUT.

Your pictures reflect a MUCH prettier state than ours. I had NO IDEA Oregon was so beautiful.

BUT.

Pronto Pups? That's just all wrong.

So glad you had a good time, my friend.

5/09/2006 1:50 PM  
Blogger steve said...

You shoulda posted the pic of you falling OFF THAT CHAIR TWICE!!

5/09/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

WHATEVER

Man who steals my camera and deletes things he does not like of himself and then laughs as he takes pictures of me having difficulty with a slipperly leather chair

5/09/2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Thanks, Jes, for your comments pertaining to how many Texans see Texas. It does make some sense. But I would love to still get back to visit much of Texas again. But then I just love nature, almost any kind of nature as long as human kind has not spoiled it.

5/09/2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try going to a little place called Concan...not to be confused with Cancun. It is a beautiful place to vacation if you like to ride the rapids of the Texas Hill Country. It is about 20 miles east of Uvalde, Texas. As a matter of fact we have a cabin reserved for the last week of May!! can't wait!!!

5/09/2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Oregon looks like a really pretty place.

Some day I'll get to travel somewhere...

5/09/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Great pics K-T! Beautiful.

5/10/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I feel so bad that I forgot to ask you about your trip last night!

Oh my gosh, it looks like you had such a great time!

ps. I think you might have hurt Big Tex's feelings... he has some pretty parts too :(

5/10/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Awesome pictures!

5/12/2006 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home