Thursday, April 27, 2006

Character

Character – it has been defined as “who you are when no one is looking.” It defines a person. When everything fades and you are standing before the Lord, your character comes into play. Who you have chosen to be... because, let’s face it, character is a choice. There is not one thing another person can do to form your character. It is in those quiet moments of life when you define who you are... when you make a choice of who you will be.

My friend Katie... Let me tell you about the Katie I know.. Not about attributes, such as her “ridiculously shiny hair” or her Amazonian like frame... but her Character. The very nature of who she is. Now, one can never truly know everything about a person, only God is in this position. People generally build walls to protect themselves. But over the last year, Katie has slowly torn down those walls and I have been able to see who she is. This is the Katie I know:

My friend Katie... that is exactly what she is... A friend. She is a friend in the truest sense of the word. When she gives you her friendship, it is for life. She will be there for you. She will be there to listen, to joke around with, to challenge you and to love you. She is trustworthy. You can confide in her and she will not betray that trust. She is the exact definition of a friend this side of heaven in that she is self sacrificing. I have seen this played out in particular instances, where she will put the love she has for a friend before her own needs.

My friend Katie... She is a fearful person. Aren’t we all... we all have fears and she is no different. But she is fearful and this of the best parts of her character. Now some would argue that being fearful is not a defining attribute; however, I would argue that it depends on the type of fear we are talking about. Without question, she has fears in life, this is for sure. But the fearfulness that I am speaking of is this: She fears the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) And my friend Katie is wise. She is a person that will give solid council. Her dependence on the Lord helps in directing her to make the right choices and she is wise because of that.

My friend Katie... She is not perfect. She has faults. Character flaws if you will... however, one thing, if you haven’t notice by her writing, is that she is very introspective and reflective and she sees her faults. She knows who she is, but she doesn’t use that as an excuse to justify who she is... If she senses that she needs to change something, she tries.

My friend Katie... She has doubts. She is confident, but she also has doubts... insecurities at times. If we are all honest with ourselves, we all have insecurities. Nobody likes to admit it... but we do. Katie is no different. Katie does not have it all together 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Neither do I. I like that about her... as a friend she has been vulnerable at times and true friends are like that... transparent in their thoughts and transparent with their faults.

My friend Katie... is humble. As a matter of fact, she is blushing and tearing as she reads this because she is embarrassed no doubt. If I know her, she is presently feeling like she is undeserving of such praise. And to her my response is: “Good. Then maybe your head won’t get too big.” ;)

My friend Katie... She loves me. She accepts me for who I am, for my faults... I truly believe that the Lord gives you a few friendships in life that are special, that are true. Her friendship has been one of them.

Her character is noble and pure and while she is not perfect and she may let me down at times... that’s okay... she is my friend; like her, I am a friend for life.

Do you know the Katie I know? If so, you have been blessed.

(Posted by Ben)

16 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

That sums it up.

That is the same one I know. Honest and real! A blessing to us all!

4/27/2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I know I am sure blessed by this same friend!

Way to sum it all up, Ben!

4/27/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Yep. She's definitely been a blessing to me the past few months as I've gottne to know her better!

4/27/2006 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben: AMAZONIAN?

kt: DID YOU ABOUT DIE WHEN YOU READ THIS?

Ben:
I love how you've captured, so accurately, who Katie is, to all of us. Katie! You're so consistent in your character! And I love that about you!

On a totally unrelated (sort of) and totally superficial note:
Last night Roger and I were watching Punk'd at we were commenting on people's character based on how they responded to the ridiculous situations they found themselves in. Some lied and tried to blame it on others, some maintained their innocense, some were calm, some were irate. I wondered how I would respond in the same situation.

4/27/2006 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i meant:

kt: DID YOU ABOUT DIE WHEN YOU READ THAT (referring to the Amazonian comment)

***

and i also meant:

Last night Roger and I were watching Punk'd AND we were commenting...

4/27/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Awe! That is so sweet!

Did Ben do something wrong? Or is this like the flowers the other day - people are always doing wonderful things for you out of the blue? I'm guessing it is the latter; you seem to have that kind of effect on people.

Just to make sure your head doesn't swell too much, I'll stand on the sidelines and randomly remind you of the Katie I know:

The Katie I know is a professional stalker/bodyguard, that was born in Beaumont (which gave me hives) and now lives in rural Nebraska with her army of stick horses.

The Katie I know understands what it is like to be in a scrum and why crotch binding is so important. She knows the importance of a good hooker, and why everyone needs to be good at stripping. The Katie I know is also fully aware of the reasons why you can only win by trying, but that you are unlikely to try if you play forward. The people who try the most are typically the individuals located in the back line.

The Katie I know loved it for the sport of it all – not for the songs or the overall “slap happiness” that generally followed a day out on the pitch.

The Katie I know comprehends the logic behind the Hippodrome, and why the Colonials are located in Foggy Bottom (along with elephants, donkeys and the occasional hippo).

The Katie I know loves Dublin Dr. Pepper. The real stuff, not the kind sold in regular stores. The Katie I know would be upset if she knew I was drinking one right now.

The Katie I know loves the State Fair, but stopped short of coming in to meet me (yes, I KNOW about this!!). Little did she know, I worked near the exit and could have gotten her in for FREE.

The Katie I know would not be classified as an Amazon, because I am an inch taller and that would make me one, too.

And so I ask you…do YOU know the Katie I know?

Hehe…

(That was fun)

~ The End ~

4/27/2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Deals you made me laugh so much

4/27/2006 4:32 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Ben knows the K-T I know. Yes, I comment on her ridiculously shiny hair, and the fact that she's Amazonian (after all I started that whole thing - because you ARE Amazonian, even when you take off your flip flops to try to make me feel better. K-T loves to laugh, loves Mr. Darcy, but most of all loves our Savior and His Word.

K-T, you are a TRUE friend.

4/27/2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - do you know just how MUCH I would suck at rugby?

Surely, you know.

gpyzyi- gypsy (kitty)

4/27/2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Katie: Well I have to keep tabs on you incase you go crazy-stalker on me. If I can make you smile in the process, all the better!

AM: Yey, Gypsy Kitty! She's had a hard day. I threw her ball this morning and it ended up next to the trashcan in the bathroom. Normally, this wouldn't have been traumatic, but there was a scary, scary envelope in the trashcan. Gypsy Kitty was just POSTIVE that the scary, scary envelope would eat her if she tried to get her ball. So, she just walked back to me, looking defeated. Dog: 0. Envelope: 1. Owner: Sighs.

I think you'd be good at Rugby. There is very little skill involved. You just chase the person with the ball, and pray that, if/when you catch them, they don't bite (and if they do bite, prey they've had their shots).

4/27/2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I just realized that I spelled "pray" P-R-E-Y. This was because I was originally planning on typing "pray that you don't become their prey".

4/27/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals. I am POSITIVE I would not be good at rugby. ESPECIALLY if they put me on the opposite team of the Amazonian women. I'd probably have the Runt on my team as well.

sigh.

4/27/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a wonderful tribute!

4/27/2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

You know... first I thought you were writing this, Katie - that was kind of cool in a third person sort of way. Then it just ended on a sweet note.

Personally, I liked the first paradigm... but this works.

4/28/2006 1:38 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Yep. I know her and it seems you know her as well as I do and I know you haven't spent as much time with her.

KT has grown so much in the last few years. She is a great gal.

4/28/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

What a beautiful piece of writing for such a beautiful friend.

I know this friend... and I am blessed to call her that!

Thank you for being all that comes naturally to your heart of gold.

5/01/2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home