Monday, April 10, 2006

"Brooding Yumminess"

Recently the world at large or at least my little definition of the world at large has discovered a special treasure to my being.

PRIDE & PREJUDICE

I was introduced to this wonderful story when I was in high school and read at least 30+ books my senior year (yep I'm smart and stuff). It was the next year in college that I was introduced to the movie version (the best version in my opinion) that encompassed the entire book and was 5 hours long. After one lazy saturday of watching this movie I was in love. In love with the story all over again, in love with the movie, and in love with Mr. Darcy.

I'm secure to admit I have a crush on a literary character (he is in the company of many other great literary men including Mr. Knightly in Emma (Jane Austen again), Edward Ferrars in Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen again - see a pattern here?), and then Gilbert Blythe (of Anne of Green Gables)).

So JCol posted last week about P&P and I happen to mention that Mr. Darcy possessed a "brooding yumminess" quality about him. I was asked to explain what brooding yumminess actually meant and while it cannot be defined in words, it can be with pictures. Also if you watch the film you will understanding the phrase.

So here is my visual description of "brooding yumminess"


15 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Does brooding yumminess have to be hazy in the background?

I still don't get it.

4/10/2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I can understand the brooding yumminess of Gilbert Blythe, but I am not familiar with the others. Perhaps I should get familiar. But a 5-hour movie? Goodness! That's a long time. But if he's as yummy as you say, it's probably worth it!

4/10/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Kristi - Yes, another Gilbert fan, and you can go for the 2 hour version that just came out last year. That way you get Mr. Darcy but in a smaller package.

4/10/2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hmmmm... nice.

4/10/2006 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except, no man's pants should ever come up that high.

Aside from that anomaly, I agree. I love me some Jane Austen.

4/10/2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

THAT'S the picture I tried SO HARD to post on my blog. And that I mentioned as we left SuperTarget.

THAT'S IT. Brooding yumminess in all it's glory. Colin Firth-Schmirth. Matthew MacFadyen in that scene. I can't say anymore.

But as you know, I will be watching Sense & Sensability (you remembered his name!) PLEASE don't forget Colonel Brandon. No, he's not brooding yumminess, but he IS all things good in this world. I will keep looking for Emma (read Knightley).

Gilbert Blythe - "carrots". "sooory"

We have the EXACT same literary (and movie) crushes.

Please leave that photo up for awhile. And to think, I don't even LIKE chest hair. (exceptions can be made)

Thanks K-T!

4/10/2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

JCol - the "and to think I don't even like chest hair" made me laugh so hard

4/10/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

look. just look. how desperate in love with her is in. so much that he couldn't sleep.

And he walks across the field, not because he knows she's there, but because he needs her THAT MUCH.

He's a man madly in love with a woman.

See? All things ARE good in this world. The Jane Austen world that I seem to be living in lately.

OK, back to reality.

4/10/2006 3:27 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Glad I made you laugh, K-T. :)

4/10/2006 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we need to start up our Jane Austen book club again. I recently found the invitations from the first club.

4/10/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger steve said...

the pants ruin it

4/10/2006 5:43 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

He does nothing for me. I loved the scene, the emotion of him walking through the field is heartwrenching but I just don't think he's that good looking. I thought the bust of him was better looking than he is.

But I get what you mean by "brooding yumminess".

4/10/2006 5:59 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

i have to agree with Heather... while the movie was amazing! and their love is perfect, I have to say he doesn't do anything for me... hum? maybe it's the chest hair?

4/10/2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger David Edward said...

i guess i'm just to hetero to get it.

which is good - ill go brew up some yumminess myself

4/10/2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

unwashed, but brooding. ;o) I love the movie, but I've never been one to leave "happily ever after" alone. I always think: did he go back to being sulky later on? Did he develop a drinking problem? Did they love each other forever, or get tired of each other (since his moodiness would be annoying after a while)...

4/11/2006 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home