Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Choices

We make choices everyday, some happen without even a moment of thought. We choose to ignore the alarm clock and steal a few extra moments of sleep. We choose to have that third cup of coffee ignoring that it feeds our caffeine addiction. We choose to spin the dial on the radio and tune out the morning talk show or let the same CD play over and over again as we drive to work. We choose to smile or remain stoic at people we pass in the hallway. We choose to let things cause us to react to them. We choose how we will react to them.

Our days are made up of choices, big ones, small ones, insignificant ones, but choices all the same. We might not be able to control what we face every day, we might not be able to control the situations that come to us, but we can choose our response, our actions, how we will live today.

This morning I made a choice, a conscience choice to trust God even when I don't think I can. I choose to be joyful even when I am sad and frustrated. I choose to not let stress rule my life because I can only do what I can do and I can only do what God has equipped me to do. I choose to not have to know all the answers to all my questions but trust that God does. I choose to know that He loves me more than I will ever be able to comprehend and nothing on this earth can change that. I chose faith over fear, love over doubt, grace over guilt, and that whatever I walk through today I will do with the presence of my Creator, my Lord, and my Father who has seen it all and knows that I can handle it with Him by my side.

I choose Him, not just the idea of Him, not just the comfort of Him, but all that living a life with Him entails. I choose the uncomfortable. I choose the unknown. I choose the struggles and trials. I choose the opportunities for grace and mercy and refinement. I choose the pain and the tears that come with the bumps and bruises. I choose to trust Him in silence. I choose to rejoice in each day that He gives me. I choose to love those around me even when they hurt me because He loves me when I hurt Him. I choose to show mercy to those who don’t deserve it because I am showered with undeserving mercy every minute.

And lastly I choose to forgive myself every time I choose something other than the above. I choose to remind myself that each moment I can make a new choice. I can choose joy over frustration. I can choose love over apathy. I can choose to change because every moment is new, every choice is mine to make.

So what do you chose?

P.S. If you haven't taken a moment to check out the last post, I highly recommend it. It isn't often I get to highlight the talents of my wonderful friends and there is an amazing song down below that is a must listen.

14 Comments:

Blogger Aim Claim said...

I choose to live life.
I choose to love life.
I choose God.

4/25/2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger steve said...

same stuff I have been at war with. Good post and some very true things that I think all of us should look at every morning.

4/25/2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

We choose Him and He chooses us.

And the wrestling continues...

4/25/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You had a choice on whether or not to put your thoughts on paper (first, I'm sure) and share it with us or to keep it to yourself.

And we are all grateful that you chose to share.

Brilliant.

4/25/2006 1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

last night a friend was talking about her choice to stop eating sugar. my heart about froze and i thought, "IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?"

and now i'm so intrigued that I MAY MAKE THE SAME DECISION.

before i do, though, i should probably binge. off to eat Oreos. :)

4/25/2006 2:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You MUST be inside my brain again. Scary how you do that!

I'm hopping on this bandwagon.

I chose HIM.

4/25/2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

You are an extremely savy young LADY! ~ jb///

4/25/2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Good post, Katie!

4/25/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Thanks, Katie, for letting God speak through you. I really needed this today.

4/26/2006 6:42 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the song on my iTunes just switched to "You Make Me Wanna Be Brave."

You rock, Katie.

You said, "I choose to love those around me even when they hurt me because He loves me when I hurt Him."

That is one of the most powerfully awesome things in the whole world. And the fact that you know it... will allow you to grow and change into something more in line with what God has planned.

Fantastic post, dear lady! I so know the struggle. **hugs**

4/26/2006 7:23 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

My thoughts exactly, Katie. At least, those are my thoughts when I'm thinking straight and being strong.

Good post!

4/26/2006 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very touching and so true! Why would we not chose him first all the time? Sent his Son to die on the cross for our sins! What an AWESOME GOD we worship!

God Bless

4/26/2006 3:58 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

thanks everyone for the answers and encouragement, and know that I had to wake up today and make those choices all over again, it is never a once and for all for me, i have to choose over and over and over and over (you get the point) again, but the choices are so worth it

4/26/2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

When I was reading your post, it made me recall a radio program I heard yesterday talking about perspective. A psychologist who is quadraplegic told of time he had a conversation with an older person who had a really difficult time getting up out of a chair. This older person commented that he was just happy that as hard as it was he was just happy he could get up. To which the psychologist who is a quadroplegic replied that he was just thinking how that he was glad he would never have to worry about being able to get up out of a chair. And then they both had a good laugh together. As you wrote, it's the way you choose to view things or the choices you make.

4/26/2006 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home