Monday, February 21, 2005

Realizations

Isn't it interesting that we forget who our audience is in life. Who is reading this blog? Who is exposed to what I type here? Who is hurt but what I type here? Am I hurt by what I type here? People can make assumptions about me from just reading one of my blogs. They can make assumptions about my life, my work, my family, my friends. This is an open forum into my life. At least it is as open as I let it be. An incident recently brought this to my attention and made me consider what and about whom I decide to post.

PEOPLE, anyone can read these blogs which means the person you may be speaking of can easily read this. I find it an extraordinary conclusion to think that your blog can be an area you can freely express yourself with no regard for the consequences you might receive. If you choose to rant and rave on your site about your personal life realize that it just became public. You have opened yourself up to scrutiny. I remember hearing once that you should never put in print (in our case type) what you don't want exposed to the public. A website, blog, or online diary is even more dangerous. There are very few ways to block out the public, to select your audience, to prevent others from seeing what you type.

I know that I haven't posted anything that I would feel uncomfortable exposed to public scrutiny, and I hope that I have in no way put anything on this blog that would in any way hurt me or anyone else connected to me. I am thinking about it more now. Thinking about who I may influence, who I may hurt, who I may leave an impression on by my words.

Just think about it. Make sure that if you were confronted with your own words you would not be in a bad situation.

Part II

I went out to celebrate the upcoming wedding of my friend Lindsay on Saturday. It was a fun time and I came to a very important conclusion. I realize that I am of the legal age to participate in alcoholic drinking. I have never partaken in this freedom I have both legally and in my opinion spiritually. There are various reasons that I have limited myself in this freedom. Sometimes these limitations have been from others when I was involved in ministries with students but I have overall had a self imposed limitation. I've never really known why I limited myself in this area but I've also never really had a deep desire to go out and try alcohol. It, thankfully, has never been a big draw for me. Now that doesn't mean that I push my choices on other people. We each draw our own lines on areas of this nature but this is my choice and I'm comfortable with it. But back to my Saturday night. For our celebration we ended up at a bar/club = alcoholic beverages sold there and a live band. My friends decided to partake in a drink or two though none of them were what I would call slap-happy drunk, actually most just had one or two drinks and were drinking water the rest of the night. But back to my conclusion. See there were many people at this bar who had consumed a lot of alcohol, too much in fact. And I realized beyond the effects of excessive drinking and the biological ramifications you also tend to loose all control of your mind. Not that you go crazy but some people do in fact loose the ability to even think. But more than that, you loose the ability to control what you say, how you reason, even the ability to reason. I like being very much in control of my ability to reason. You could say I'm a mind snob. I like being able to think, to think well, and to control this ability to think. So I guess you could say I reject alcohol becasue it would limit my ability to think (or think well). I may make random comments here and there but I know that I said them and I can quickly correct any missayings. When you are imbibed you loose that ability. So I accept this freedom but I'm going to go ahead and let it be a freedom that I don't partake of.

Call me a mind snob, I like that.

7 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

lindsay? a lindsay that i know?

2/21/2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

to clear up any confusion, i told Nicolle that she probably shouldn't post about her frustrations at work, or lack of anything to do at work, because her employer has the capability to visit all the sites she has visited and to read everything she writes.

it was more of a warning not to post anything she wouldn't want her employer to read than a suggestion not to post or comment on people's sites.

2/21/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Nicolle and Jes - this post is referencing a certain situation but has nothing to do with our little blogger community. I have just realized that what we may think we are sharing with our friends is actually being shared with the world (the world wide web). Actually I realized that at the beginning but a certain extraneous situation has come to light in a separate area of my life in which I have learned many a things about some people that I'm pretty sure they didn't want me to find out, nor think that I ever would. So it is just to remind everyone that what you post had better be something you don't mind the world seeing. I will continue to post daily and will share many things but I will be more choosy and discerning about who, what, where, etc. I blog about. But blog freely and blog often just choose what to blog about.

2/21/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Lindsay is a friend from BSF and I don't think you know her.

2/21/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

sounds logical. thanks for the explanation, kt!

2/21/2005 2:32 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

katie! guess what?!? i went on unkymoods and checked their newest moods available. INTROSPECTIVE IS ONE OF THEM.

do you know why i am bothering to mention this? do you? do you?

TWO REASONS:
Number One: Your unkymood today is "Introspective."
Number Two: I am the one who emailed unkymoods and suggested this mood!!

ISN'T THAT EXCITING?

2/21/2005 5:00 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

KT- you crack me up- a MIND SNOB- how DO you come up with these phrases?

2/22/2005 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home