Friday, April 18, 2008

Stuff . . . . (sometimes known as baggage)

Driving home the other night I glanced at the car next to me at a stoplight. The driver was barely visible threw a collection of "stuff". Boxes, bags, piles, and most interestingly pine cones filled his car.

Now we've all seen cars like this. I realize that for some people their vehicle is also the place they call home, others have an obsession with collecting everything they put their hands on, and then some people are just messy. Yet, as I looked with shock, awe, and I'll admit a bit of humor (pine cones? at least a few dozen of them?) I wondered what stuff I carry around with me at all times.

I wonder if these people know what it's like to have a clean car, one where a friend can join you for a road trip, one where you can enjoy the view through all the windows? And then I think of my life, of the stuff that overwhelms me and crowds out the free space for new opportunities, new adventures, new relationships.

If you haven't figured out, I'm not talking about stuff here but that great little word that's hip in therapy circles called "baggage". The stuff we hold on to for no other reason than to carry it with us through life, oftentimes much like some of those overfilled cars out there. Baggage has a tendency to weigh us down, separate us from other people, and block out the opportunity for a clear view of the horizon.

I don't have all the answers on how to get rid of baggage, and I'm not sure we ever will. Hey, my trunk carries it's own share of junk, but at least it doesn't block my shotgun seat or the view out my back window. Nope, it was just a question to ask myself as I pulled up alongside a car overwhelmed by stuff. How much of my "stuff" overwhelms me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Wow! It's fun to read this after the retreat and see how much Mary focused on this. I loved when she said that we all have "ish" (a/k/a issues). Great to get to see you in relaxation mode.

4/19/2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

Good stuff.

When my wife or I talk about these things and we hear baggage come up in each other's speech we call out the phrase "Samsonsite!" It helps keep the drive clear... for the rear view mirror in a car is only so big for a reason.

4/21/2008 2:51 PM  
Blogger Brent said...

I don't have baggage...I'm perfect

...or does that make pride part of my baggage?

Great thoughts Katie

4/23/2008 12:25 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Seems like time has not separated us... yet again, birds of a feather flock together. I'm reading your posts and just laughing to myself, that yet again, even almost three years to the date that I "met" you on here, that I just FEEL you in the words you write.

I'm right there with you, girl.

4/30/2008 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home