Tuesday, January 16, 2007

COLD

It's cold down here.

Now before all you northerners start calling me a wuss and talk about your months of freezing weather and foot deep snow remember that during the summer months you are pansies who can't take the 100+ heat that is the REST of the year for us Texans. So we'll just agree that you are use to the cold like we are use to the heat and recognize each other's natural habits.

But back to the cold. Seems that there was an Arctic blast (how appropriate a title) that made its way down into the good ol lone star state and kicked our butts with some freezing rain, ice, sleet, and frigid temperatures. Brrrrrrrr and yuck. The temperature isn't the biggest problem, nope that would be the ICE. See we Texans are not exactly privy to lots of hands on experience when it comes to driving on ice. We own no snow tires or chains and we drive one speed . . . fast (as can be vouched for by some northern friends who were a bit scared to witness the sport that is driving in Texas). Ice puts a damper on the whole speed thing and well ice also turns what might be a "not so bad driver" into a loose cannon on wheels.

Alas, instead of playing Russian roulette with the skills of the drivers in my area I was pretty much housebound for the weekend. We cancelled church (as did many many others as I watched the list scroll across the screen on Sunday morning) because of the weather conditions and I was well stocked on food (made a run on Friday night - just in case you know). So I caught up on movies, did a little bit of unpacking (I know, I moved three months ago but really it takes about six months to be fully unpacked in my opinion), and generally just lolly gagged around (I'm bringing that phrase back).

So how was your weekend?

12 Comments:

Blogger Lorie said...

I got to lollygag a bit myself on Sunday. Luckily for us, our morning and evening services are the same, so we go to one or the other.

Anyhoo, it's "snowing" here today. Not nice flakes or anything, but it's something and I'll take it. I miss a white winter (which I'd never experienced before living here---give me 100 degree weather any day)!

Ya'll be careful down there! Don't want anymore butts getting "kicked out" of the Lone Star State or anything...(see your post). :)

1/16/2007 10:08 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

ha, thanks Lorie, I made the change

1/16/2007 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

burned a fire all weekend, watched Alias, TV, movies. roasted an entire bag of marshmallows. watched my thighs explode. you know, the normal stuff.

1/16/2007 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i mean, not the entire bag of marshmallows all at once. i did them individually. on a stick. in my fireplace. and then ate them.

1/16/2007 11:09 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

I had a friend get baptized this weekend. Yeah! :)

1/16/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

My family in Minnesota always makes fun of us Hoosiers and Louisvillians when we freak out over a foot, or even four inches, of snow. They're completely covered in mounds of snow five months out of the year and they just keep going with their lives. We get 10 inches and the entire metro area shuts down.

1/16/2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

I wish...

Mmm... Jes, a fire and marshmallows sounds HEAVENLY! I'm a wee bit jealous...

1/16/2007 12:36 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

So, uhmmmm, yeah: it was a winter BLITZ, not a blast. :P

(not that I've been watching the Weather Channel or anything)

1/16/2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger steve said...

We are snowed up also!

Nice couple days off!!! WOO HOO!!!

1/17/2007 2:28 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah...I'm at work.

No one else is.

When is the last time it snowed in Big D? Exactly. A LONG time ago. I'm pretty sure I didn't have to go to work/school then, so why am I here now? Stupid DISD (they didn't close which is why I am at work). Bet you are not at work either, Katie. Boo!

1/17/2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I love the cold, but it breaks up my routine a bit. I wonder if they are going to cancel men's bible study tonight at Stonebriar? I hope not, I was looking forward to it. Did you know that Steve Ferrar teaches it? Remember his son? What a nightmare. I was at an MXPX concert once and he stage dived off a bunch of speakers and everyone in the crowd just moved out of his way and he just bodily planted on the ground. But I won't let that interfere with my Bible study learning, I think a lot of parents have no control over their kids behavior no matter how hard they try and possibly it was because they tried too hard.

1/17/2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I moved home from Melbourne. 33 hours of travel was insane, but occasionally tolerable. And my parents greeted us at the airport with bagels and root beer.

Also, it meant moving from 100+ degree heat to 10 degree ice and snow. A shock, to be sure.

1/19/2007 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home