Monday, January 23, 2006

It really was that good

I like movies.

Actually I need to amend that statement.

I like stories, good stories, well told stories.

The best stories take you places. They wrap you up in a journey where you feel like you are part of the interwoven lives of the characters. And these characters become someone (or something) that you know, that you are invested in. The best stories move you, they change you.

So in my quest for a good story I find myself entranced by books, magazines, newspapers, blogs, television, and movies.

This weekend I experienced a great story. And I say experienced because this story is not one to just be viewed and left in the theater. It gets inside of you, it works its way through you, and when you leave it is carried with you.

And I liked it so much I decided to go back for a second helping. Those are the good stories, the ones you can return to time after time and still be drawn into the tale.

And what great theatrical experience am I describing you may ask. Is it a new flick by Spielberg? Something from Woody Allen? Maybe a Weisman brothers’ collaboration?

NOPE.

I’m talking about End of the Spear.

Now some people will pre-judge this movie. They will say that it is a Christian flick and therefore of low quality. And these people will be WRONG. This movie is astounding, beautiful, and possesses everything that is essential to a good story. I will agree that some movies that have come from the Christian sphere just aren’t good movies. They aren't presented with excellence, with style, with all those things that make a story worth your time. This is NOT one of those films.

Haunting, might be a word I use for how I left this film. Because after seeing it twice this weekend I can’t get it out of my head. The people, the places, the sacrifices, the love, and the story itself have imprinted my mind and my heart. And this story isn’t the creation of a imaginative mind, it isn’t the workings of a team of writers with a proven format, it is the simple story of real people, real lives, and real grace.

If haunted is how I describe myself after seeing this story, then grace is the word I choose to describe the story itself.

So now that I’ve rambled on for a bit, take a chance and go see this film, go experience this story. And then come back and tell me what you thought of it, of what you took from it. For the best stories linger, they hold on to us, and we are driven to discuss them, to ponder them, to change something in ourselves because of hearing them.

15 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hmmmm. I think someone was telling me about this movie just the other night. Hmmmm. Hmmmm!

Well! I think I might have to take someone's advice, seeing as I too, am very affected by movies (in fact, if you'll hop over to my blog, you'll see what I'm talking about too (although I didn't go into quite as much detail, I just babbled a bit about how much I loved the one I saw this weekend)).

Thanks for the recommendation, Miss KT, and I'll be on the lookout for that movie! (Is it available at blockbuster? In-Demand Pay-per-view?)

1/23/2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Stephanie - Better than that, it is in MOVIE THEATERS NOW. Wide release in fact. So you can experience it on the big screen in all its glory.`

1/23/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T, I can't stop thinking about the movie. It really made me think about things from an eternal perspective. And how many times do you get to see a "from a true story" movies where the characters are still alive and able to tell their story. This was a very powerful movie. And thanks for the kleenex tip too!

1/23/2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I like your perspective on film. I agree wholeheartedly: when the world is cold and nasty, a good movie offers an escape that keeps the mind churning for ages afterward.

It's magic.

1/23/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I've been wanting to see that movie. I am hoping it's as good as the hype.

1/23/2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger steve said...

and again I will tell everyone who sees this movie to also rent the documentary "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" which is teh story in Docu. form. Great inverviews with all those envolved. You get to witness the grandson of one of the men killed having the man who killed his grandfather come to his graduation in the states. The kid calls the man grandfather... amazing

1/23/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

It's on my list, it's on my list.

It was actually on my list before I saw this one or even heard about it.

1/23/2006 1:21 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Holy crap! I just watched the trailor, and now I just HAVE to go see it!

1/23/2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

C-Rev (can I call you that?) I understand the wariness of "the hype". Sometimes we are so excited to push somthing that has a Christian message that we don't take the time and really evaluate it for what it is. This is a movie, this is a film, and in the past Christians haven't been all that skilled in that area. But this really is a good movie. Message aside (and it isn't shoved down your throat) this is a beautiful movie, a great story, and really good.

1/23/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Katie,
You can call me that, or you can call me Dave, it's all good.

That's what I was hoping. As a christian who is extremely passionate about arts it has always iritated me that we put out such a poor product and we are almost proud of the fact and throw money at it just because it's got "Christian" in there somewhere.

1/23/2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Dave (wow that felt weird) - I was just talking with an older friend who said her son didn't want to see it if it was just going to be one of those "Christian movies" like a group that will not be mentioned but is based on a successful book series (oh you know the one). I told her it is first a great movie and secondly a great movie about Christians.

Check it out, I would love to hear your opinion.

1/23/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

Oh I'll see it alright, and I'll give my opinion MUAH HAH HAH HAH (grabs sides evily).

1/23/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I've never heard of this movie...I'll have to see it, though it might not be in the theatre, but will rent it...hopefully it will make its way to vhs or dvd.

1/23/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I MUST go and see this film. maybe I will go on Thursday night.

1/24/2006 9:45 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

katie, if you're talking about the movie versions of the "Left Behind" series, I say stick with the books. Far, far better. Every time.

1/24/2006 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home