Thursday, September 29, 2005

Vernacular

I am a word kidnapper, or better yet a phrase kidnapper. If you say something enough around me I will take it as my own, feed it, raise it, and it will become mine. I love picking up phrases from people and can generally identify those people in my life that I am around a lot or enjoy the company of because I will begin to talk like them.

It is interesting to me that people do this. They begin to sound like each other, or at least talk like each other. I don’t think it is some scary assimilation conspiracy for all people to become the same. Instead, it shows how much of an effect friends can have on each other that they choose to begin to talk like one another.

So I started to think about the phrases that have graced my lips over the years and things that I say because I learned them from friends.

“Why don’t you go on into the kitchen, open up the fridge and get yourself a big ol can of SUCK IT UP.” Such a good phrase for anyone who is whining.

“Spring Break ‘99” said in the summer of 2000 for some strange reason, but always said when we expected something fun to occur

“OH MY WORD” said with a lot of exclamation

“Chicken monkey” what you call someone in greeting

“Freak a beak” Texas thing I guess

“Sweet pants” interchangeable with cool

“Deude, seriously” new but catching on fast

“That’s just how I roll” again new, but it is the new phrase for moms at my school – which makes me laugh all the more



Ok so what are some of your phrases that you have adopted from your friends.

Discuss.

12 Comments:

Blogger Cav said...

Good Goo - an exclamation. must have correct texas accent to really understand.

Then I have some other ones that I can't really discuss. :)

Blessings

9/29/2005 11:55 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness, Katie this is HYSTERICAL. Only because it's SO true. I'm the exact same way. I ALWAYS wind up talking like my friends. Just call me the "word hijacker". My roommate introduced me to an excessive usage of the word, "Dude". Greeting: "What up dude". Salutation: "Night dude". We're sad. I know this.

The word that people steal the most from me: the tag, "pants". It can apply to anything: "crabby-pants, grumpy-pants", my cat has been lovingly nicknamed, "kitty-pants". I even have gone as far as to nickname my new friend/classmate, "Scott-pants". I do have problems. lol

9/29/2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Adding another one:

GT's as in Good Times

9/29/2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I am noticing that some of these look very familiar...

hmmm??

"NIIIICE!!" is one of mine I love.. you can hear how it is said on the video on my site

I will never say SUMO... no matter how hard you guys try...

Duede seriously I would never steal others catch phrases... but that's just how i roll

9/29/2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

Fun!

whatEVER.

Hmmph!

We're in a fight!

9/29/2005 1:40 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Not so much.

And I quote movie lines all the time. SO un-original.

And Jes' last three. I even copy her list!

hylikyby - hike like a boy

9/29/2005 1:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jes I just now realized you were writing phrases. I actually thought you were saying my post was fun, and that I had somehow insulted you so you were telling me whatever, then you hmphed me and then we were in a fight.

Gosh, I feel blonde today.

9/29/2005 3:25 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

LOL Steve!

Hmm...only thing I can think of right now is "suck it up buttercup".

9/29/2005 7:10 PM  
Blogger Lava said...

Woo freakin hoo!! (courtesy of msthang)

9/30/2005 9:50 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie - no worries: I did the same. My blonde roots were showing through my dark brown mop yesterday. I was thinking, "wow, Jess is a bit erratic today... hmmm..." lol *rolling eyes* I'm brilliant!

9/30/2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Shut Up!

Get out! - Elaine - Seinfeld

Sweating like a fat man in a plastic sack - said at Kanakuk Kamps in 1998

Sumo - something I created myself

cuoqojn - Quai Gon Jin - Star Wars

9/30/2005 10:26 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Rob and I always says "DEUDE!!!!!"

And thanks to Steve, we now say, "That's just how I roll."

Oooh. And "La-de-freakin'-da."

We take lines from movies and say them AD NAUSEUM.

:-)

Oh and we add pants to everything.

Silly Pants, Grumpy Pants... my kitty is Henry-Pants. My mom is Mommy-pants. Our friend Wade is Wadey-Pants. etc. Good one Stephanie!

9/30/2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home