Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Why?

I know that I’ve gone down deep on some of the last few posts. If you clicked on kpinion for lightness and laughter today you might be disappointed. I’ve realized that my mind and heart focus on what is going on at the moment and therefore my writing (blogging, whatever) ends up focusing on that also.

Last night I met my bible study gals after what seems like months being apart from them. It is amazing that fellowship with girls whose hearts you hold dear can touch you in such a distinct way.

One of my sweet friends in the group is going through a trial like none other at the moment. In respect of her privacy I will not go into details but know that my heart breaks for her and at the same time I delight to see the hand of God as He works in her life. This woman of faith sat there and told all of us her pain, her struggles, the darkness of the situation and then in the same breath she spoke of how God would receive all the glory. Her heart is broken and yet she praises her Father for the strength He gives, for the mercy He lavishes, and for the grace that she holds so tightly to. That is faith my friends, active, struggling, death-grip faith.

Many of you know of Rebekah. She is a little girl who was introduced to most of us by Steve. This precious angel is fighting a battle with cancer and other diseases and it is ravaging her body. To read the daily battles and struggles of her and her family rip at my heart. But God’s grace is sufficient, and His work is seen both in her victories of healing and in the way that He has brought the body of Christ to its knees together in prayer for this child. Rebekah may not know that she is being used by her Creator to gather His children in communion with Him, but I pray that she knows that people who she’s never met are bowing a knee to Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah), Jehovah-Rapha (the Lord who heals), Jehovah-shammah (The Lord is There), Jehovah-shalom (The Lord is Peace), El Roi (The God Who Sees), Elohim (The Creator), El Elyon (The God Most High), and El Shaddai (The All Sufficient One).

But the question in my title is not to ask why these things are happening. I’ve asked why before and I’ve come to see that God often does not relinquish that answer. Those answers are not promised.

The question I want to ask is: Why are we alive? That was a question in our bible study last night. At first I laughed because it was such a bible study type question. Why are you here? Oh, and I had an answer all ready, a good answer no less, the “right” answer, the one I had been taught to answer, the one that makes me look spiritual, the one that makes me look like I have it all under control. But guess what, I don’t.

If anything, these situations I’m seeing are teaching me that I have nothing under control. Control is not mine to have. Control is something that human beings will NEVER have.

But back to the question. Why are we alive? As I thought about this in those few moments we were discussing it, I took it a step farther. Why are we still alive? If I believe that salvation is true, if I trust that it is His will that I spend eternity with Him, if Christ’s death was to purchase that presence, then why am I still here on earth?

Then it hit me. Why am I alive (or why am I still alive)? Well look beside you. Look around at your family, at your friends, at the people you walk past on the street, at the little girls you hear about on the internet. There’s your answer.

I’m alive because of ____________ (fill in the blank with a name). We are alive because God wants flesh and bones out there on His behalf. Because of the family member that we can love through sickness, because of the shoulder we can offer to a hurting friend, because of the prayer we can offer for a sick child, because of the neighbor we can serve by raking their yard, because of the stranger who is contemplating suicide because no one cares and doesn’t today because we smiled and said hello, because of the children who get to hear about Jesus by sitting in our classes or Sunday schools, because of the changes in my life that so many people have made just because I have known them, because I heard about my Lord from another person, because you heard about the Lord from someone else.

When we put a face on it, when we attach a name, when it is someone we know, or someone we see, or more than that when it is us, it becomes real, it becomes more than a life statement, more than a vision, it becomes living.

This is why we’re here.

Thanks for reading my ramblings today. It is more free flow than organized thought so I’m sorry if it is hard to get through.

Ok readers, I'm going to challenge you here. Comment, say something, be it an "amen" or a "you're stupid". I don't care which, but this is a topic that deserves feedback. Are you in need of someone to be alive for you? Is there someone in your life that fills in your blank in the question? I know I have a lot of silent readers but talk to me, tell me what you think. You are welcome to visit in silence, but I'm a big believer in correspondence so go for it.

13 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

It would be so much easier if once we accepted Christ, we got swooped up to heaven! But, you're right. We are meant to grow in our faith, to perservere, and to share the blessed news of the gospel.

Too bad my human nature keeps getting in the way!

8/24/2005 10:27 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok readers, I'm going to challenge you here.

Comment, say something, be it an "amen" or a "you're stupid". I don't care which, but this is a topic that deserves feedback. Are you in need of someone to be alive for you? Is there someone in your life that fills in your blank in the question?

I know I have a lot of silent readers but talk to me, tell me what you think. You are welcome to visit in silence, but I'm a big believer in correspondence so go for it.

8/24/2005 11:07 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I think that most people feel most alive when they feel that they are needed, that they in some way contribute to someone else's life. When people are suicidal it's normally with a feeling of "I don't matter to anyone, noone will care if I am gone, I don't have anything to offer". The reality is that everyone has who comes in contact with your life offers you something - whether it's good or bad. Some people teach you how you want to be, others how you don't want to be.

For me personally, I have six people in my life, beyond my immediate family, who mean the world to me. I have a large group of friends but those 6 are my fam, my life, my blood. And I know that I am truly blessed to have that. I would be blessed to have just 1 person that I love with all of my heart and know that they are there for me no matter what.

I think if all you can do is offer 1 person a smile today, then you have touched someone's life.

8/24/2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Katie...
I went from steve's sight to yours and I just feel God has blessed with very special blogging friends. As I wipe the tears from my eyes... I have been reminded today by my kids, you and steve that God wants all of me, all day long, every hour of the day for the rest of my life however long that may be. I have known this for a long time.... but self tends to get in the way daily! I appreciate you and your thoughts so much... keep bringing them. Read my comments on Steve's sight you will understand how my kids were used by God today!

8/24/2005 12:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sydney - and God used you today to touch my heart. What a precious faith you are teaching your children, what a love for prayer you are instilling in them. I too forget that God wants all of me all the time. I'm selfish with myself and I struggle daily with laying it down for Him. Thank you for your sweet spirit and I share your tears.

8/24/2005 1:28 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I am so with ya on this. I question the "Why" all the time. I look around me and thinkif He came back today I would be the first one in line for the bus. I would love to leave this place... honestly. What I do see in my life though is God using me to reach others. I want to be able to reach the unreachable... God has used the worst of me for the best of Him.. I guess that is just how He rolls

8/24/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I may be pushing in front of you in that line - sorry :)

I find it ironic in my messed up brain that God chooses to use us for His greatest work sometimes when we are at our lowest points. It puts us in a place where we can't take any credit. "See how well I screwed up, well gosh you know God is just going to use that for something, yep He is so lucky to have such a screw up like me on His team." - if only we acutally said that in life.

8/24/2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Just a thought, wouldn't that be awesome if the rapture happened tomorrow and we'd all go to heaven together!

Hmmmm, I wonder if they're blogs in heaven.... >:o)

8/24/2005 2:04 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

I was made aware of your blog through a friend of mine, Laura Baker, and I identify so much. I was just telling my husband today at lunch how difficult I find that it is to be "a light" to my co-workers, most of who are Christians, but still need the truth of Jesus Christ and His freedom breathed into their lives- as we all do, every day! Thank you for the encouragement that no day is without purpose in God.

8/24/2005 2:21 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

katie, you're right on. i was reading several articles earlier today that primarily dealt with the evil nature of humanity. the missing girl in aruba. the brutally slaughtered girl from UT. people killing those around them. and then i remember that I can pray for them, and for their families, and friends, and those whose lives they touch.

this proves that we can touch the lives of those we don't even know, have never heard of, and will never meet.

8/24/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Lia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/24/2005 8:32 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Katie-

Maybe that's why God has me where I am TODAY. To bring a smile to those who don't know him... to help these students and help them. I am alive and working where I work because that's where He wants me right now. Weekly, I share with students and frequently, I have had the opportunity to pray with them. I think I need to look to him rather than wonder why. You know?

Once again, you bring perspective.

8/24/2005 10:35 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

Some care called to struggle. God doesn't promise us earthly provisions - he never says it will be easy as a Christian, but at least we know He is good. Good can go a far way.

As a Christian I always want to be more like Jesus and continually be sanctified. I had never struggled or felt pain or gone without in all my 24 years - and boom, I got diagnosed with cancer. I am just out of treatment and now I know (on a different level than Jesus) pain, struggle, hurt, rejection, I could go on. As bad as it was, I don't regret it because I AM MORE LIKE HIM - it is an odd joy, only one that God and that person going through that struggle can comprehend.

Struggle, pain...is different for everyone, but knowning god can be a common denominator because he is bringing us through on that narrow road - refining our hearts - purifing our souls - so we can know him better.

As much insight He gives us through these struggles it may still not be clear...we will fully know when we are with him in heaven or when it comes back. That is a great comfort to me.

And hopefully to you. :) Good post K.

8/24/2005 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home