Monday, August 29, 2005

Why couldn’t I just be Daisy?

Eddo posted a story about Kanakuk Kamps today and it got me thinking. Well, it really doesn’t take much to get me reminiscing about Kamp because it summed up the best 6 summers of my life. The funny thing is that I don’t know if I can really share how much each of those three months out of the year meant to me. Some of my best friends were made at kamp, friends that I will have for a lifetime. Some of my best and most fun memories come from kamp: climbing on the blob from the side of the pool and falling in fully dressed, deep lake diving for a sunken boat, thunder muffins, midnight runs to night watch, tornadoes, the stories keeps coming.

But today, in honor of Eddie’s post on TP 1, I will recount a story that is funny.

As with all that I seem to do, my job at kamp was administrative. My first summer I worked in the kitchen (great place to have servanthood beat into your body) and then the next summer I worked in the office. After that I spent four years running the K-7 (our specific kamp) office. I LOVED it. I got to spend time with all the kids whenever I wanted, I got to let my organized and administrative mind go crazy, and I got to work with the greatest girls and pour into their lives.

Kamp loves to give titles to all it’s workers. There is the pool daddy (runs the pool), dock daddy (runs the lake), kitchikomos (girls that work in the dining hall), DHDL (dining hall discipleship leader), CIT (counselors in training), and then me, the head office girl, otherwise known as the HOG. Yep, my title spelled HOG.

Now this creates so many opportunities for jokes and I decided early on to be the person that spearheaded most of these. I accepted the title of HOG, in fact I embraced it. I was the HOG and I was proud of it. Well that is until one moment ruined it all.

One day I was standing on the front porch of our office watching TP 1 (the youngest boys in kamp, ages 6-8) march down the road. As I watched, their counselor looked up at me and waved, I returned the way and yelled out a hello to the entire TP. Micah (the counselor) gathered the boys together and chatted with them for a second.

Then in unison all 12 little boys cried out,

“HI, BOSS HOG”

Now I’m not sure what you think of when you hear the words BOSS HOG, but a fat man in a white suit that chases down the Duke boys is what comes to my mind. I guess I just watched a lot of the Dukes of Hazzard growing up.

So I stood there in shock with my mouth gaping open. How do you respond to 12 cute little boys calling you a FAT MAN IN A WHITE SUIT.

For the rest of the week those 12 little boys knew nothing about me but that I was the BOSS HOG. For 7 days I was greeted in that manner each time they saw me. In fact I think they sought me out to call me BOSS HOG.

There is humor in a 6 year old calling a young 20 something girl BOSS HOG, but not that much humor. As the name began to catch on with the counselors and other kampers I had to take action. HOG is one thing but BOSS HOG is another all together.

So to this day the ONLY person that gets away with calling me BOSS HOG is Micah. Even this summer when I went to visit kamp, the first words out of his mouth were BOSS HOG.
SAD. Funny, but SAD.

35 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're beautiful and a sweetheart and in all other ways fitting of being Daisy Duke...but I still can't picture you in "Daisy Duke" shorts and pantyhose...

8/29/2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks Anon (who still refuses to reveal thier identity). No need to picture the shorts or the hose because neither will be worn in any combination EVER (well the hose are required on the job but the shorts are on the banished list and hose with shorts is something I hope to never do this side of 85 years old).

8/29/2005 10:20 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You're right, K-T. It is sad, but funny. At least it wasn't a permanent name like the former governor's daughter of Texas- Ima Hogg. Bless her heart.

Camp memories are the best. I've missed a grand total of 6 years of camp (camper and counselor put together) from the time I was 6 until the present. I was devastated that I missed this year. More camp stories please!

8/29/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger steve said...

thank you Katie, for new material...

8/29/2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Steve - why does that comment scare me?

8/29/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger steve said...

i believe you know how I roll...

8/29/2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

All too well.

And that comment does nothing to calm my fears.

8/29/2005 1:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm sure it was completely traumatic when it happened (and for every year after that) but that is freakin' hilarious. (And I have to admit, it's the first thing I thought of when you said your title was HOG.)

8/29/2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was lying...

http://www.famoustexans.com/imahogg.htm

8/29/2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh AM - I'm related to the Hoggs, I know all about Ima.

8/29/2005 2:43 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok I just realized the irony that I was called Boss Hog and I am related to the Texas Hoggs. Hmpp.

8/29/2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Ohhhhhh, K-T. That probably shouldn't have been admitted. I had always thought it was a joke. And that she had a twin named Ura.
Maybe that was the joke.

You're like famous, or something.

8/29/2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

And to add to the senseless admission of things that really don't need to be known: there was no Ura (that is a myth).

As far as famous, I'm more the something in that statement.

8/29/2005 3:12 PM  
Blogger steve said...

For the love of my sweet savior tell me you are lying Katie... please PLEASE dont let it be this easy

8/29/2005 3:24 PM  
Blogger steve said...

YOu are related to a woman named "Ima Hogg"???

8/29/2005 3:26 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Tread lightly Steve . . . .

If my family is to be trusted I am related to the Hogg family. I like to just think of it as I'm related to a former governor of my dear state Texas.

And remember it is only EASY if you decide to take that next step . . .

8/29/2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Uh oh. That backfired. So very sorry, K-T.

My apologies. I really had no idea you were related!!!

8/29/2005 3:33 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Ok... but that takes a WHOLE six pack of niceness away from the 24 you are now allowed

8/29/2005 3:46 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I've been pretty accepting of things that might otherwise be considered WEIRD on your part (do I really need to list them here?).

8/29/2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

HI BOSS HOG!

lol.

8/29/2005 3:58 PM  
Blogger steve said...

i had NOTHING to do with that!

8/29/2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ben - When I posted this I KNEW that you, and only you, would be the one to go there. That, my friend, is why I like you.

Steve - you were pretty quick to distance yourself from your partner in crime there . . . . . one whole minute before you shifted blame . . .

8/29/2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger steve said...

(glad you got my email Ben)

8/29/2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

No ganging up on her, fellas.

K-T, I feel so responsible. :(

8/29/2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

:)

And because you can read me like a book and have learned to expect this from me... and that you still think I am cool... Is why I like you.

(BYE BOSS HOG!)

8/29/2005 4:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh AM don't feel responsible. I was the one who supplied the information.

Don't worry I'm pretty sure I can hang with the boys . . . they don't intimidate me.

8/29/2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Bye CANADA.

:)

8/29/2005 4:10 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, KT. the HOG. i forgot about that. how could i?

maybe you should think up a name that spells out daisy.

Daily
Administrative
Iridescent
Sassy
Young'n

Okay, so I was hurting for words. Iridescent?

8/29/2005 4:12 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Iridescent... good word Jes. Katie does have ridiculously iridescent hair.

Katie-

Bye CANADA is the best you got? THAT'S "hanging with the boys??"

I am only slightly disappointed... ya-a-a-w-n.

8/29/2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ben - I was going easy on you old man.

:)

8/29/2005 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daisy Dukes instead of the ususal skirts? Nah

8/29/2005 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to see anon stalker hasnt left even after you take away the skirt site

8/29/2005 5:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh yeah. That's pretty bad. But still funny!

8/29/2005 9:50 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

KT! Great story, I would never have had my kampers call you Boss Hog, I probably would have taught them a cheer... something like -

She's the best
The office lady
She ain't no HOG
She's our friend KT!

Now drop it, drop it
Like its hot
She's number 1
And she just won't stop!

We would have had choreographed dance moves and everything all in the same amount of time it took Micah to organize his boys to say, "Hi Boss Hog".

8/30/2005 9:51 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks Eddo- that is why you were the BEST TP1 counselor. I seem to remember that you taught your kiddos tons of cheers and chants. So fun.

8/30/2005 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home