Monday, July 25, 2005

And then there was one

Summertime, summertime. So am I the only person that remembers this Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff jewel. Yes I did just admit that I listened to the Fresh Prince.

Summertime = Summer hours. Ah to work at a school. Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, Spring Break, I love the breaks and I do not take them for granted. Also if you work for a school then summer is a magical word that evokes the images of sleeping in, easy work load, and more breaks. Now when you work in the administration of a school instead of the classroom summer does not mean three months off but in my case it means three months of summer hours. Half days, starting late, leaving early, only four hours, bliss.

Today was not a summer hours kind of day. It began like any other monday with a staff meeting and prayer and then an hour later I stepped into a meeting and all of a sudden it was 1 p.m. (quitting time). If only a whistle had blown and the next shift had shown up and I could go home and nap. But alas there is no whistle, I am all the shifts, and napping sounds like a sick joke.

So here is ti 5 p.m., four hours after I was supposed to leave for the day and I am still here working. Now I'm not complaining, I realize I have a lot to do before school starts and it has to get done. Ok I am complaining just a little. See I am a long range planner, I like to begin brainstorming for the next school year as soon as the new one begins. Why you may ask? Because it will take that long to get adequately prepared for the next year. Trust me I've done it before. Last minute planning drives me INSANE. When there is a scheduled event on the calendar and we haven't even spoken about it each day that passes is like a ticking time bomb to me. I am just waiting for the explosion.

So I sit here at my desk making a to do list that would rival the IRS code for filing taxes. I am counting down the days before each major landmark on my calendar and I am realizing that but for someone figuring out how to freeze time and giving me a crash course in this ability I will no longer trust in the words "summer hours". Alas August is upon us and my freedom has vanished.

This is my Monday.

7 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

So you know I WAS THE REAL FRESH PRINCE!

http://jubalingen.blogspot.com/2005/07/real-fresh-prince.html

thats right!

7/25/2005 5:33 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Steve of course you were the first fresh prince, or at least the real one. I thought you were SOOOOO COOOOOL. And I know all the words to your TV show theme song. Yes I am also that cool.

7/26/2005 9:00 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

I totally remember that song--because I owned a copy of it. It came on a mix cd I bought from an infomercial. I really shouldn't be allowed access to a credit card at 2 in the morning.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

7/26/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger whaaaat! said...

I guess I am surprised to not see Amstaff Mom commenting yet giving you sympathy for working the long hours. Oh that's right, she is probably swimming in the pool at her work after they watched the movie. : ) Just joking, I have nothing to complain about in my current job, but if I were reading this a few years ago when I was working 60+ hour weeks on salary (no OT pay), I would... well I guess I wouldn't have been reading this since I would have had no time. Seriously, sorry that your day was longer than expected. I am like you with planning ahead. I hate the last minute planning.

7/26/2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

KT, you need one of those time turning things like Hermione has in book three.

7/26/2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

EM that would be great. Do you think if I wrote JK Rowling she could express mail one of those babies to the mainland or would it have to come by owl. How long would it take the owl to fly from England to Texas? Hmm, maybe I should rely on UPS or FedEx then, I'm not sure owls are insured for damage or loss.

7/26/2005 3:12 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I heard that. I wasn't commenting because I WAS swimming. And no movies today. Although I did just stroll through the cafeteria and who did I see on the Tele but the Fresh Prince himself. Not Steve, but the other one. I just smiled and thought of Katie and Steve.

7/26/2005 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home